[comp.lang.prolog] Logic Programming Newsletter

cdsm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Chris Moss) (08/22/88)

I posted the note below to the digest about a month ago, but as always
seems to happen, it stops publishing when I do it that way! So here's
hoping it gets around this time! If any NEW members of the ALP did not get
a copy of the newsletter at the Conference in Seattle just finished please
let me know.
-------------------------------

A recent note about the Association for Logic Programming left one benefit
of membership: the Newsletter.

I have recently taken over as editor from Luis Pereira, and the first edition
went out last week. It is being air-freighted to the US so people should get
it well before the conference, which is just as well since it includes all
the abstracts of papers for the conference, so you can plan your time better
when you are there!

We are planning to publish it from now on on a regular four-issues per year
basis and welcome submissions from net users. Since we're doing it desk-top,
computer files are the most welcome means for anything over 300 words.  My
address is cdsm@doc.ic.ac.uk or cdsm@icdoc.uucp (via mcvax and ukc), or, by
mail, Dr. Chris Moss, Dept. of Computing, Imperial College, 180 Queen's
Gate, London SW7 2BZ, UK.

Of particular interest are items about individuals and institutions involved
in logic programming, abstracts of new reports, calls for papers in relevant
areas, as well as any short communications on general subjects. The
membership, though small, extends to over 20 countries with an unparalled
reach to the key people.

Anyone can get a sample copy by sending me a note (but no multiple
requests!).

Chris Moss

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (08/26/88)

In article <405@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> cdsm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Chris Moss) writes:
>I have recently taken over as editor from Luis Pereira, and the first edition
>went out last week. It is being air-freighted to the US so people should get
>it well before the conference, which is just as well since it includes all
>the abstracts of papers for the conference, so you can plan your time better
>when you are there!

My copy arrived sometime _during_ the conference.  Did other subscribers
in this US have this problem?

ok@quintus (12/06/88)

I have just today received Volume 2 Issue 2 (Oct/Nov 1988) of the
Logic Programming Newsletter.  There is a new column in this issue,
called "Net Talk".  This consists of messages which have been
posted to this newsgroup and the Prolog Digest on various topics.

You should consult a Real Lawyer (tm) before believing any of this,
but my understanding is that the copyright of a message remains with
the author, and the fact that something has been broadcast over this
or any other network no more puts it into the public domain than
the fact that something has been broadcast over the radio puts it
into the public domain.  "Fair use" would I think cover the practice
of quoting parts of a message you are replying to.

I don't know whether any of the other people involved were asked for
permission to print their messages in the Newsletter.  I **wasn't**.
Permission would have been given, and is now retrospectively given.
But it is at the least good manners to ask.  (Yes, I too have been
guilty of quoting someone's letter without approval, but not since
I was rebuked for it.)  I certainly would not have agreed to text
which was designed for 80-column display being squeezed into 3-inch
columns; that does _terrible_ things to the layout.  And if I had
been asked for permission to quote my messages on the Monkey-and-
Bananas thing, I could have supplied the Logic Programming Newsletter
with the iterative-deepening version.

I would like to point out that Mark Epperson of the Prolog Forum
_does_ ask.

barley@spitfire.rutgers.edu (Mike Barley) (12/07/88)

In article <816@quintus.UUCP>, ok@quintus writes:

> I have just today received Volume 2 Issue 2 (Oct/Nov 1988) of the
> Logic Programming Newsletter.  There is a new column in this issue,
> called "Net Talk".  This consists of messages which have been
> posted to this newsgroup and the Prolog Digest on various topics.
> I would like to point out that Mark Epperson of the Prolog Forum
> _does_ ask.

	We only get the comp.lang.prolog newsgroup.  What are the
Prolog Digest and the Prolog Forum?  How does one subscribe to them?
Thanks.

-Mike