[comp.lang.prolog] SBProlog bug? fix? assert, asserta, assertz

anderson@secd.cs.umd.edu (Gary Anderson) (12/13/88)

The version of SBProlog which I have does not
implement assert, asserta, assertz correctly.
A clause containing any of the asserts often fails.

Has anyone else encountered and or fixed this bug?

Does anyone have a version of SBProlog on a SUN-3
which does not have these problems?

Are there other relatively cheap or free Prolog interpreters for Sun-3's
which I could use instead? (I'd like a version I can ftp if possible.)

Anyone have ideas about how hard it would be for
me (New to prolog, familiar with C and unix) to fix the assert problem?
--
              Gary S. Anderson               | Macondo was already a fearful
                                             | whirlwind of dust and rubble ...
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+      | when Aureliano ... began to
      email:  anderson@secd.cs.umd.edu       | decipher the instant that he
 U.S. Snail:  University of Maryland         | was living ... Before reaching
              Department of Economics        | the final line [of the
              Room 3147c Tydings Hall        | parchments], he  understood
              College Park, MD 20742         | that ... . Everything
      Voice:  (301)-454-6356                 | written on them was unrepeatable
----------------------------------------------since time immemorial and forever
more because races condemned to one hundred years of solitude did not have a
second opportunity on earth.  (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)

debray@arizona.edu (Saumya K. Debray) (12/13/88)

In article <14963@mimsy.UUCP>, anderson@secd.cs.umd.edu (Gary Anderson) writes:

> The version of SBProlog which I have does not implement assert,
> asserta, assertz correctly. A clause containing any of the asserts
> often fails. Has anyone else encountered and or fixed this bug?

It helps to mention what version you're using, and what symptoms the
bug displays.
--
Saumya Debray		CS Department, University of Arizona, Tucson

     internet:   debray@arizona.edu
     uucp:       arizona!debray

murthy@pokey.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Madhu Murthy) (12/19/88)

Hi: While the bug is being fixed, try using $assert, $retract instead. They
work on my version 2.5 (assert, retract don't). Incidentally all the
builtin predicates (like recorda, recorded, erase) that use assert, and
retract won't work either. If you'd like the patch code (for recorda,
recorded, erase) in the interim, send me mail.

Madhu