[comp.lang.prolog] C-Prolog on Macintosh

chris@edcaad.UUCP (Chris Tweed) (01/20/89)

Has anybody ported C-Prolog to the Macintosh?  If you have we would be very
interested in hearing about it.  We have been considering doing it ourselves
but if somebody already has then there would be little point in duplicating
the effort.  Please email replies to me.  If there is enough interest I will
post results to the net.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Tweed
chris@caad.ed.ac.uk
...!mcvax!ukc!edcaad!chris

P.S. if you want a personal reply please include your Usenet address.  We do
NOT have access to ARPANET.

newton@kahuna.UUCP (Mike Newton) (01/27/89)

In article <438@edcaad.UUCP> chris@edcaad.UUCP (Chris Tweed) writes:

>Has anybody ported C-Prolog to the Macintosh?  If you have we would be very
>interested in hearing about it.
>
>Chris Tweed
>chris@caad.ed.ac.uk
>...!mcvax!ukc!edcaad!chris

Under MacOS or under A/UX?

I managed to get my hacked version of C-Prolog up under A/UX in less than
an hour, most of that dealing with A/UX 1.0 C compiler bugs.  I no longer
have access to a Mac, but I distributed the sources _to people who already
had a C-Prolog license_ for the charge of a tape + mailing.  The changes
are public -- feel free to copy them, i just charge for the tape as i
hate making them.  The banner reads something
like:	C-Prolog 1.5n7
                    ^^- the 'n' indicates one of my versions

As all that we have way out here is a Sun, all i can now write is Sun
catridges.  The changes I made include: speed ups, increasing the memory
efficiency (on many -- but not all) systems, and fix bugs.  I've been using
it for several years.  It has run on everything from IBM mainframes
(under UTS) to Vaxen, Sequents, Suns, Macs...  Even brain-dead Sun386i's.
Still no garbage collector though.

Other thought:  Have you considered SB Prolog (arizona.edu).  It's free, good,
(and once a garbage-collector is added), real.

If you are not running under A/UX, there are several commercial possibilities,
I've used ALS Prolog and liked it, but i'm biased.

- mike

--
Mike Newton				Caltech Submillimeter Observatory
ex-communicated Pasadena President,	POB 4339 / Hilo HI 96720

Mail:			newton@csvax.caltech.edu
Which is forwarded to: 	kahuna!newton@csvax.caltech.edu
UUCP			cit-vax!kahuna!newton

	"Reality is a lie that hasn't been found out yet..."