[Replies]

From: wang@wpi.wpi.edu (William S. Ang)
Date: 14 Feb 89 02:26:56 GMT

... (omitted)

See Section 8.3 "Transforming recursion into iteration" in
Art of Prolog by Shapiro, MIT Press. for  FOR..NEXT loop.

See Section 12.5 for failure-driven loops  aka  REPEAT...UNTIL

                               William Ang
                               wang@wpi.wpi.edu         CSNET
                               wang@wpi.BITNET          BITNET
-----------------
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 89 14:50:05 -0500
From: Stephan Grill <sgg@beach.cis.ufl.edu>

If you are interested in a pragmatic variety of typical Prolog/Lisp
control structures - look at the Quintus Prolog library.  They
provide quite a variety of procedures based on the mapcan kind of
stuff.  It's in the "maplist.pl" library.

Hope that helps a bit

Stephan Grill
----------------
Date:     Wed, 15 Feb 89 21:09:45 GMT
From: Jerry Harper <mcvax!euroies!jharper@uunet.UU.NET>

You should briefly peruse a book by
	Tore Amble, "Logic Programming and Knowledge Engineering in Prolog",
	International Computer Science Series, Addison-Wesley.  (-- modified)
Amble presents some aspects of Prolog through
the eyes of an over-practised PASCAL programmer; do/while and do/until
are briefly treated if my memory serves me correctly.  My general
impression of the book is not favourable - about the only significant
evidence of 'knowledge engineerin' having intruded into the work
is manifested in the cover which is sufficiently pleasing
to attract a money roll out of one's pocket.

jharper@euroies.uucp
Jerry Harper: Educational Research Centre, Dublin 9, IRELAND
------------------
Date:     Mon, 20 Feb 89 11:14:37 GMT
From: Jerry Harper <mcvax!euroies!jharper@uunet.UU.NET>

...(omitted).  I should also warn you that
Amble exhibits a peculiar approach to logic programming in the
larger example programs and you will definitely have to recode his
expert system shell in order to make it work.
From: Alfred Ultsch <unido!exunido.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de!ultsch@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 89 13:43:51 +0100

... (omitted)

look for my phD thesis
 I have compared a whole lot of
control structures for prolog

Alfred Ultsch:
Control for knowledge based IR.
Verlag der Fachverine Zurich, switzerland, ISBN 3 7281 1629 7

Alfed Ultsch

--

mgv@usceast.UUCP (Marco Valtorta) (02/27/89)

Also see:
Dodson, C.D. and A.L. Rector.
"LOGAL: Algorithmic Control Structures for Prolog."
_Proceedings of IJCAI-83_, 536-538.

Marco Valtorta			usenet: ...!ncrcae!usceast!mgv
Department of Computer Science	csnet: mgv@cs.scarolina.edu
University of South Carolina	tel.: (1)(803)777-4641
Columbia, SC 29208		tlx: 805038 USC
U.S.A.				fax: (1)(803)777-3065
usenet from Europe: ...!mcvax!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!usceast!mgv