[comp.lang.prolog] Parallel Prolog

rafferty@cordelia.steinmetz (Colin O. Rafferty) (01/26/88)

I am looking for some pointers to any papers or other reading on
architectures or languages for parallel programming in prolog.  I
would appreciate any EMail on this subject.

Thank you in advance.

Colin  (rafferty@ge-crd.arpa, desdemona!rafferty@steinmetz.uucp)

ee491s18@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Ee491s18) (02/28/89)

I am looking for source code to parallel version of the PROLOG such
as Concurrent Prolog or PARLOG.  Thanks

---------
Sehyo Chang
University of Hawaii
sehyo@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu

timd@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Tim Duncan) (03/03/89)

In <3345@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> Sehyo Chang says
> I am looking for source code to parallel version of the PROLOG such
> as Concurrent Prolog or PARLOG.  Thanks

There is a package available containing interpreters for PARLOG, Concurrent
Prolog, and GHC. For details (incl. academic discount) contact: aiai@ed.ac.uk

 Tim Duncan, AI Applications Institute, University of Edinburgh,
  80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN, Scotland, United Kingdom.
 JANET:  T.Duncan@uk.ac.edinburgh
 ARPA:   T.Duncan%uk.ac.ed@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
 BITNET: T.Duncan%uk.ac.ed%ukacrl.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 UUCP:   ...mcvax!ukc!aiva!timd

mmh@ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (03/08/89)

In article <3345@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> sehyo@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Sehyo Chang) writes:
>I am looking for source code to parallel version of the PROLOG such
>as Concurrent Prolog or PARLOG.  Thanks

Current thinking on Parlog is that it is best thought of as a sister logic
programming language to Prolog rather than as a "parallel version of Prolog".
The inherent concurrency with the power of the logic variable make Parlog
a very versatile language, even when used on a sequential machine. But its
versatility is not necessarily in those areas where Prolog is most useful.
Thinking of it as "parallel Prolog" emphasises its limitations compared with
Prolog, without drawing attention to its power elsewhere.