[net.movies] A Boy and His Dog

spear@ihopb.UUCP (Steven Spearman) (09/21/83)

A very interesting film.  It was getting mixed reviews from
people around us when we left the theater - some people really
thought it was awful, I sort of liked it.
Hard core sci-fi fans may be disappointed since it has a
minimum of special effects and such.  Mostly it is just a story
of the relationship between a young man and his mutant (?) dog.

There is plenty of violence and nudity; lots of sex though not
graphic - all in all not a movie for children.  It is VERY sexist
(can't women fight for themselves in post-holocaust environment?).

The film is well done - I thought it was well worth seeing.  The
surprise ending really drives the point home too.

Steve Spearman
ihnp4!ihopb!spear

jjm@hou5e.UUCP (J McParland) (09/21/83)

	I thought I'd mention that A Boy and His Dog is based on
	a story by Harlan Ellison...

	Jim McParland
	Until October:
	AT&T Information Systems Laboratories - Holmdel, NJ
	hou5e!jjm

	After October:
	AT&T Bell Laboratories - Murray Hill, NJ
	????!???

engels@ihuxs.UUCP (SME) (09/21/83)

Is this the same movie that was released in '75 or '76?

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/21/83)

This is definitely one of the more bizarre films I've seen, but I am
still enthralled by the vivid post-holocaust imagery.  It is definitely
a movie that is 110% imagery and -10% substance, but great imagery it is.
(An example is the screamers; they exist, they scream, but the concept behind
their existence is never defined; they seem to be there just to be eerie.)
Contrary to what you said about the lack of special effects disappointing
hardcore SF fans, I think it will only alienate advocates of SF as space
westerns.  The reason that is VERY sexist (which indeed it is) is that it
was written by Harlan Ellison (no more need be said).  I did not read the
original story (novella?), but I was told about it after seeing the movie.
The book clarifies much of what is unclear in the movie, especially why
the dog can "talk" to the boy, why this is nothing unusual (in that
environment), and what the final scene really meant.  Does anyone know where
I can find the original story??  Thanx in advance.
				Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr

ryl@ihlts.UUCP (09/22/83)

   The college-campus cult classic "A Boy and His Dog"
(copyright 1974, based on a novel by Harlan Ellison)
has been re-released and is currently showing all
over Chicago-land.  For those who have not seen it, suggest
you do so pronto.
   The plot is typical post-nuclear-holocaust science fiction,
and the message is about as subtle as Russian air control tactics.
You might think that a story about an intelligent, telepathic
dog is right up there with Brady Bunch reruns, but you'd be
wrong.  This is a fine mix of satire and science fiction with
amazing amounts of social relevance (though sometimes dated)
and not too much self-importance.  Very well paced, the movie
has no trouble keeping your attention.  Also very realistic scenery
in the "Blade Runner" vein, although this movie is much older.
Be warned, however, that the humor is *DARK*.  The movie takes
cavalier attitudes toward violence, especially rape, and may
be offensive to some.

	Bob Lied	ihnp4!ihlts!ryl

beth@umcp-cs.UUCP (09/22/83)

This movie was first released back in 76, I believe.  I also think that
the story was written by Harlan Ellison.  Can anyone back me up on that?
I just happened to stumble across it back in 76, but I really enjoyed it.
However, when I saw it later in college, a number of my friends thought
it was terribly depressing.  It does give you something to talk about after
the movie.

stever@tektronix.UUCP (Steve Rogers) (10/03/83)

according to Harlan Ellison (in one of the Dangerous Visions volumes),
he wrote "A Boy and His Dog" after the death of his own dog, which
was such a nice "human" dog that his former girl friends would come
to visit the DOG...but I should let you read it...

vuser@druxt.UUCP (GerardenC) (11/28/84)

Does any one know where I can get the video tape for the movie
A BOY AND HIS DOG ?. Despite the name of this movie it is far
from a Disney feature.

				CHUCK GERARDEN
				..!druxt!vuser

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (06/01/85)

There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII
sci-fi flick, written by Harlan Ellison, and starring Miami Vice's Don
Johnson.  It is an ultimately bizarre but wonderful movie, especially a
certain line near the end.  It is DEFINITELY worth watching if you like
sci-fi movies.

Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?

--Evan Marcus
--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

"So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood..."
"And therefore..."
"A witch!"

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (06/02/85)

> There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
> people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII
> sci-fi flick, written by Harlan Ellison, and starring Miami Vice's Don
> Johnson.  It is an ultimately bizarre but wonderful movie, especially a
> certain line near the end.  It is DEFINITELY worth watching if you like
> sci-fi movies.
>
> Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?
>
> --Evan Marcus
> --
>
> {ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                          ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
>
> "So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood..."
> "And therefore..."
> "A witch!"

This is a midnight/college-circuit cult classic, and I think deservedly
so: the somewhat tongue-in-cheek post-holocaust scenario, the talking
dog (who for my money is the best character in the movie, Don Johnson
[so that's who that was] notwithstanding), the decidedly motley crew
led by Jason Robards that thrives underground, and a menacing robot
named Larry(?) -- folks, this is, bizarre as it is, one of the funniest
movies I've ever seen. And that classic line at the end: one couldnt
think of a more apt ending! I would rate this a must-see.
--
...ihnp4!attunix!rajeev   -- usenet
ihnp4!attunix!rajeev@BERKELEY   -- arpanet

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (06/04/85)

In article <314@petfe.UUCP>, evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
> Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?
>
> --Evan Marcus
> --
>
> {ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
>                          ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Yep. You may never think the same way about popcorn again. Jason Robards is
priceless as the Dog's telepathic voice.

-Neal B.

chabot@miles.DEC (High Anxiety Workstations) (06/05/85)

> This is a midnight/college-circuit cult classic, and I think deservedly
> so: the somewhat tongue-in-cheek post-holocaust scenario, the talking
> dog (who for my money is the best character in the movie, Don Johnson
> [so that's who that was] notwithstanding), the decidedly motley crew
> led by Jason Robards that thrives underground, and a menacing robot
> named Larry(?) -- folks, this is, bizarre as it is, one of the funniest
> movies I've ever seen. And that classic line at the end: one couldnt
> think of a more apt ending! I would rate this a must-see.

While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (06/06/85)

> There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
> people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII
> sci-fi flick, written by Harlan Ellison, and starring Miami Vice's Don
> Johnson.  It is an ultimately bizarre but wonderful movie, especially a
> certain line near the end.  It is DEFINITELY worth watching if you like
> sci-fi movies.
>
> Comes highly recommended.  Comments? Has anyone else ever seen this one?

You mean "Well, at least she had good taste ..."?

esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) (06/07/85)

> > There's a movie appearing 4 times on The Movie Channel (at odd times...VCR
> > people take note) called A Boy and His Dog.  It is a marvelous post-WWIII

I told a friend once that I could never marry a woman that couldn't sit through
`A Boy and His Dog.' He replied "You know, you're going to be a bachelor for
a long time." Well, in that case I'd like a dog like Tiger (Blood). Even if he
can't talk. That dog could display more emotion through his dirty, fuzzy face
than could 9 out of 10 Hollywood starlets.

							Michael Esco
							Boeing Aerospace

lmv@houxa.UUCP (L.VANDERBILT) (06/07/85)

In article <206@weitek.UUCP>, neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) writes
> Yep. You may never think the same way about popcorn again. Jason Robards is priceless as the Dog's telepathic voice.
> -Neal B.

I think you are way off base, isn't Jason Robards the leader of the
underground people, and definitely not the voice of the dog??

i could be wrong, but i don't think so.

cornell!vax135!houxm!houxa!lmv

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (06/09/85)

In article <696@houxa.UUCP> lmv@houxa.UUCP (L.VANDERBILT) writes:

> I think you are way off base, isn't Jason Robards the leader of the
> underground people, and definitely not the voice of the dog??
>
> i could be wrong, but i don't think so.

You are correct, Robards is the leader of the underground society.  I don't
remember who the voice of Blood was...
--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (06/09/85)

> While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
> the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
> of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.

The movie version of "A Boy and His Dog" is one of the most faithful
adaptions of a written work Hollywod has ever done.  The ending is just
as it is in the story, virtually word for word.  Some even consider the
movie a two hour lead in for the ending punch line.
--
	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	The Ohio State University

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (06/10/85)

> While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
> the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
> of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.

I dont think cannibalism is a great idea, but if that was the only way
to save that faithful canine, I cant blame the boy for what he did;
furthermore, I dont take it literally: I think it was just a clever
metaphor for the choice the boy had to make between companions.

I must also quibble a bit here: "it ain't in the story" doesnt necessarily
mean the author didnt intend it -- he/she might just not have thought of it.

--
...ihnp4!attunix!rajeev   -- usenet
ihnp4!attunix!rajeev@BERKELEY   -- arpanet
Sri Rajeev, SF 1-342, ATT Info. Sys., Summit, NJ 07901. (201)-522-6330.

markg@nvuxf.UUCP (M. Guzdial) (06/10/85)

I've only seen the movie once, and unfortunately cannot remember the last
"barbaric" line, but I've read the story at least twice and Ellison ends
it with "I know what love is...A Boy loves his Dog" (or something to that
effect).  Is this close to the last line from the movie?
The short story ended with the same cannibalism as the movie -- Harlan Ellison
is not known for his squeamishness.

--
Mark Guzdial
{ihnp4, houxm}!nvuxf!markg

neal@fear.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (06/11/85)

In article <696@houxa.UUCP>, lmv@houxa.UUCP (L.VANDERBILT) writes:

> I think you are way off base, isn't Jason Robards the leader of the
> underground people, and definitely not the voice of the dog??
>
> i could be wrong, but i don't think so.
>
> cornell!vax135!houxm!houxa!lmv

I think he did both. I haven't seen the movie in eight years, but this is my
recollection.

-Neal B.

"mynd you, m00se bytes kan be pretti nasti..."

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/11/85)

]From: rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev)
]
]> While the dog is intentionally the smartest and most worthwhile character in
]> the movie, the ending line is barbaric and abominable.  I believe the author
]> of the short story shares this opinion--it ain't in the story.
]>
]I must also quibble a bit here: "it ain't in the story" doesnt necessarily
]mean the author didnt intend it -- he/she might just not have thought of it.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

I am now looking for backers for a new production of ROMEO AND JULIET.

In this production, a kindly doctor will find the lovers at the last
possible moment and save them. He will then secret them off to France,
where they will have many children and live to a ripe old age.

I realize that this was not in Shakespeare's original work, but what did he
know.

Need I say it:  :-)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) (06/18/85)

> > I think you are way off base, isn't Jason Robards the leader of the
> > underground people, and definitely not the voice of the dog??
> > i could be wrong, but i don't think so.
> > cornell!vax135!houxm!houxa!lmv
>
> I think he did both. I haven't seen the movie in eight years, but this is my
> recollection.
> -Neal B.

As I remember, Blood's voice was Tim McIntire (sp) who also did some of the
songs. BTW- Blood was done by Tiger, obviously one of Hollywood's best.

						Michael Esco
						Boeing Aerospace

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/22/85)

My favorite line (which may have been in the book, the movie, or both, I'm
not sure...I've read/seen it too often, they've merged...):

"She kept asking me did I love her.  I know what love is:  a boy loves his
dog."

I'm sure this is badly quoted, but it gives the idea.

                                Muffy