[comp.lang.prolog] Logic Programming Research

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/06/88)

Which Universities (not just in the USA) are doing logic programming
(not just Prolog) research?  I'd like to put together a list of places
where people interested in doing PhD work in logic programming might
go.

Please send me E-mail; I'll collect the replies I get together and send
them to the net.
---
ArpaNet quintus!ok@SUN.COM
UUCP    ...!{sun,pyramid}!quintus!ok
  or	ok@quintus.uucp

hamid@hilbert.uucp (Hamid Bacha) (05/07/88)

In article <934@cresswell.quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>Which Universities (not just in the USA) are doing logic programming
>(not just Prolog) research?  I'd like to put together a list of places
>where people interested in doing PhD work in logic programming might
>go.

I really applaud your efforts in trying to put together a list of Universities
doing research in the area of logic programming. I think the list would be
of interest not just for students but also for new PhD's applying for jobs.
May I suggest that the list include some details on the type of research
being conducted (theory, implementation, logic and databases, expert systems,
etc.). This would help tremendously since the area covered by logic
programming is getting wider and wider.

Hamid Bacha
Logic Programming Research Group
Syracuse University

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/07/88)

I received a reply to my earlier message on this topic which read
	I believe you must know here at <place>,
	<person> is doing logic programming research.

I'm afraid that misses the point.  What I want is details that I can put in
a list that I can give to other people.  Off-hand I can think of a dozen
places that I've heard of.  But I haven't got full postal addresses, e-mail
contacts, list of faculty interested in having logic programming PhD students
&c.

So I need to be clearer.  Imagine that you were writing an advertisement to
go in CACM on something like that which was supposed to attract logic
programming PhD students (or post-grad scholars) to your outfit.  THAT's
the kind of thing I'm after.

	Short name of institute
	Name of contact person
	Full postal address
	E-mail address of a contact person
	Study programs offered
	People doing logic programming research
	Specific topics (theory temporal compilers environments hardware &c)
	&c

Perhaps this is something the Logic Programming Association might more
properly _maintain_ than I, but I'd like to get it started.

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/17/88)

So far I have entries for
	The University of Melbourne	(Australia)
	Katholieke Universiteit Leuven	(Belgium)
	The University of Nottingham	(England)
	Imperial College, London	(England)
	Victoria University		(New Zealand) (not much info)
	The University of Maryland	(USA)
	The University of Arizona	(USA)
	The University of Oregon	(USA)
	The University of Wisconsin - Madison (USA)
	SUNY at Stony Brook		(USA)
	Duke University			(USA)
	Clemson University		(USA)         (not much info)
	The University of Rochester	(USA)	      (not much info)
	The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (just the name)

and vague third-party references to
	The University of New South Wales (Australia)
	The Technical University of Nova Scotia	(Canada)
	Waterloo University		(Canada) [>group said to have moved]
	The University of Victoria	(Canada) [<to this place]
	The University of Manchester	(England)
	The University of Karlsruhge	(Germany)
	The University of Edinburgh	(Scotland)
	Northwestern University, Evanston, IL (USA)
	UC Berkeley			(USA)
	UC Irvine			(USA)
	UT Austin			(USA)

I include in this message a copy of the information I got from Melbourne
as an example of what I was hoping for.  I would appreciate getting
information from the outfits on the second list above, and from other
places too.  (I thought I had an entry from Bristol, but I can't find it.
I can cobble something together.  What about Cambridge, England?)
I'll wait another couple of days before posting what I've got, just in case.

	Lee Naish
	Department of Computer Science
	Melbourne University
	Parkville 3052
	Australia

	lee@mulga.oz.au
	lee@munnari.oz.au
	munnari!lee@uunet.css.gov
	{uunet,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision}!munnari!lee

We currently have 7 lecturers/research fellows/...
	Kotagiri Ramamohanarao (Rao)
	Rodney Topor
	Lee Naish
	Elizabeth Sonnenberg
	Justin Zobel
	Kimbal Mariott
	Harald Sondergaard (Visiting Fellow)
Also 4 programmers and about 15 students working on LP.

Active research areas include
	Deductive databases (theory and implementation)
	Parallelism (mostly stream and-parallelism)
	Programming Environments (declarative debugging,...)
	Language Issues (coroutines, negation, types,....)
	Implementation
	Theory (unification, resolution, abstract interpretation,...)
	Expert systems

We have a growing number of Suns, a dual processor Elxsi 6400, a 14
processor Encore (currently on loan), Vax 780, ....

ok@mudla.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Richard O'Keefe) (11/21/89)

I'm sorry about this, it's a year late.  I'd asked about which
Universities were doing research in logic programming.  Here are
some of the answers I received.  (I was editing these things into
a nice annotated table.  Then I lost the files.  While playing
hunt-the-tape in preparation for flying back to Auckland on Thursday
I found this one, but not the stuff I'd edited.)

Subject: logic programming research

I believe some research is being done at TUNS (Technical Univ of Nova Scotia,
Halifax, Canada). I can get you more details if needed (I will be in Halifax
end of this month). I believe ons of the profs who probably leads the research
work is surnamed "Cook", if that rings any bells.

From: sun!jacksun.cs.umd.edu!minker (Jack Minker)
To: sun!quintus!ok
Subject: Research in Logic Programming

Dear Richard,

With respect to your inquiry about schools doing research
in logic programming, you should include the University of
Maryland.  My students and I are heavily involved in the
field.  Two students have received Ph.D.s with theses in
logic programming:  Simon Kasif at Johns Hopkins (you should
include them) and Madhur Kohli (Bellcore).

We have implemented a parlallel logic programming system for
a ring architecture and ported it to the Butterfly where it
simulates the ring architecture and is also implemented to
take advantage of the Butterfly shared memory system.

I expect a student to receive a Ph.D. in December regarding
theoretical work.  We have developed a fixpoint operator for
non-Horn logic programs, have developed weak forms of the
generalized closed world assumption and are working on stratified
non-Horn logic programs.  Another student is investigating
approximations to non-Horn logic programs.

We have also developed a meta-program to permit semantic query
optimization based on the use of integrity constraints.  We are
expanding that work to include cooperative and informative
answers to be output to a user in natural language.  A thesis
will be completed on the subject of cooperative answers by the
end of the summer.  The thesis will be awarded to my student in
France.

If you want additional information, please contact me.  I enjoy
your comments on the net, as I did, when we first met in Portugal.

My book, Foundations of Deductive Databases and Logic Programmins
has been published.  You will find many articles of interest.

Regards,

Jack

From: sun!ram (Renu Raman)
To: ok@quintus.uucp
Subject: Re: Logic Programming Research
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog,comp.edu

In article <934@cresswell.quintus.UUCP> you write:
>Which Universities (not just in the USA) are doing logic programming
>(not just Prolog) research?  I'd like to put together a list of places
>where people interested in doing PhD work in logic programming might
>go.
>
>Please send me E-mail; I'll collect the replies I get together and send
>them to the net.
>---
>ArpaNet quintus!ok@SUN.COM
>UUCP    ...!{sun,pyramid}!quintus!ok
>  or	ok@quintus.uucp

     Among others I would pitch for

     Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
     [my alma mater - that why the pitch:-)]

     It has a strong logic (very little prolog - whatever that means)
     & databases stream.

     I would say

     U.C.Berkeley (prolog-including HW, logic & databases)
     U.T.Austin
     U. of Maryland.
     U. of Karlsruhe (Germany)
     U. of Manchester & Edinburgh
     UNSW
     U of Wisconsin - madison
     U. of Cal. Irvine
     and ....

From: Brad Miller <sun!ACORN.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU!miller>
To: Richard A. O'Keefe <sun!quintus!ok>
Sender: sun!cs.rochester.edu!miller
Postal-Address: 610 CS Building, Comp Sci Dept., U. Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
Phone: 716-275-1118

    Date: 6 May 88 02:24:51 GMT
    From: ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe)

    Which Universities (not just in the USA) are doing logic programming
    (not just Prolog) research?  I'd like to put together a list of places
    where people interested in doing PhD work in logic programming might
    go.

    Please send me E-mail; I'll collect the replies I get together and send
    them to the net.
    ---
    ArpaNet quintus!ok@SUN.COM
    UUCP    ...!{sun,pyramid}!quintus!ok
      or	ok@quintus.uucp

Hmm. Syracuse is doing some things I think ...

We (University of Rochester) are doing things related to Knowledge
Representation, which is related to Logic Programming, since Logical
Assertions are one the the main and traditional ways of doing KR.... so our
tools end up being similar to Prolog but with many extensions. But it isn't
strictly "logic programming" per se. because we don't limit ourselves to
that. That is, we do things with inference engines, that map over logical
assertions, but these same tools deal with other things as well, e.g. LISP
code.

----
Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}

Date: Sat, 07 May 88 15:26:16 +0100
From: Andy Cheese <sun!NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK!abc%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk>

i'm doing research into implementing concurrent logic languages.
i also have a friend in my department using SICStus v 0.5 for
research into remote sensing.

JANET : abc@uk.ac.nott.cs              Andy Cheese
ARPA  : abc%nott.cs@ucl-cs.arpa        Department of Computer Science,
                                       University of Nottingham,
Functional vs. Logic Programming       University Park,
If You Can't Decide Between Em,        Nottingham.
-- Join Em                             NG7 2RD.
                                       England.

                                       Tel. No. : (0602) 484848 ext. 2765

From sun!arizona.edu!debray Sat May  7 13:12:50 1988
Date: Sat, 7 May 88 10:15:55 MST
From: "Saumya Debray" <sun!arizona.edu!debray>
To: sun!quintus!ok
News-Path: arizona!noao!ncar!boulder!sunybcs!bingvaxu!leah!itsgw!batcomputer!cornell!uw-beaver!teknowledge-vaxc!sri-unix!quintus!ok

We have some logic programming research going on here at the University
of Arizona.  The faculty involved are: Sanjay Manchanda (sanjay@arizona.edu)
and myself (debray@arizona.edu).  Sanjay is working on the theory of
updates in logic programming; I'm working on static analysis, optimization
and compilation aspects of logic languages.  Either of us may be contacted
at the e-mail addresses given above, or at

	   Department of Computer Science
	   University of Arizona
	   Tucson, AZ 85721, USA

-Saumya Debray		CS Department, University of Arizona, Tucson
---

From: Jimmy Lee <sun!amdahl!uunet!watmath!watdragon!hmjlee>
To: amdahl!sun!quintus!ok

In Canada, University of Waterloo used to be one of the places.  However,
the group, led by Maarten H. van Emden, has been moving west since last
September and settles down at University of Victoria.

I can't wait to be there this coming September.  :-)

hmjlee%watdragon@waterloo.csnet            (519) 746-6522 Jimmy Lee
hmjlee%watdragon%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa          CS Dept., U. Waterloo
{allegra,decvax,inhp4,utzoo}!watmath!watdragon!hmjlee     Waterloo, Ont. N2L3G1

From decwrl!uucp Mon May  9 15:10:43 1988
From: mipos3!intel.com!uoregon!spencer.cs.uoregon.edu!conery@omepd
Date: Sat, 7 May 88 13:27:09 mdt
To: uoregon!quintus!ok
Subject: Survey of university programs

Richard --

	I saw your request in comp.lang.prolog for information regarding
logic programming research at universities, and I thought I should tell
you about what is happening here at the University of Oregon.  First,
here are some answers to your specific questions, in case you want to
keep all your responses in a uniform format:

	Institute:	University of Oregon
	Contact:	John Conery
	Address:	Department of Computer Science
			University of Oregon
			Eugene, OR  97403  USA
	E-mail:		conery@cs.uoregon.edu
	Study programs:	B.S., M.S., Ph.D.
	Topics:		Parallel models, parallel implementation
			tecniques, combining object oriented and
			logic programming languages.

	Here is a longer description of my two projects.  The first is
concerned with parallel implementations.  We are developing a virtual
machine, at roughly the same level of abstraction as the WAM, that
will run on a multiprocessor.  Two things distinguish our machine (named
OM, for Oregon Machine) from the WAM: control instructions start
small-grain processes instead of making procedure calls and building
choice points, and unification instructions create and access what we
call "closed environments" instead of WAM-style stacks.  The closed
environment technique was designed to allow processes to run
efficiently in different addresses spaces, without relying on a shared
memory address space.  Others working on the OM project (all graduate
students) are:  David Meyer, Renganathan Sundararajan, Surapong
Auwatanamongkol, Craig Thornley, and David Keldsen.  References:
    * Conery and Meyer, "OM: A Virtual Processor for Parallel Logic
	Programs",  University of Oregon Tech Report CIS-TR-87-01.
    * Conery, "Binding Environments for Parallel Logic Programs in
	Non-Shared Memory Multiprocessors", Proceedings of the
	4th Symposium on Logic Programming, San Francisco, 1987.

	The second project is in combining logic programming with
object oriented programming.  I have developed a framework for describing
objects with changing states in a logic programming system, and I have
prototype implementations of these objects in a simple extension to Prolog.
Much work remains to be done at both the language and implementation levels.
	International Conference/Symposium on Logic Programming, Seattle.
    * Conery, "Object Oriented Programming with First Order Logic",
	University of Oregon Tech Report CIS-TR-87-09.

John Conery

P.S. -- I agree with your suggestion, re getting ALP to maintain this sort
of information.  Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

From sun!hplabs!rutgers!mcnc!dopey!gupta Mon May  9 15:10:57 1988
Date: Sat, 7 May 88 12:32:36 edt
From: Gopal Gupta <sun!hplabs!rutgers!mcnc!dopey!gupta>
To: ok@quintus.uucp
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog,comp.edu

Count in University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

--Gopal Gupta.

From sun!hplabs!rutgers!speedy.cs.wisc.edu!raghu Mon May  9 15:11:09 1988
Date: Sat, 7 May 88 15:03:52 CDT
From: sun!hplabs!rutgers!speedy.cs.wisc.edu!raghu (Raghu Ramakrishnan)
To: ok@speedy.cs.wisc.edu
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog,comp.edu

>Which Universities (not just in the USA) are doing logic programming
>(not just Prolog) research?  I'd like to put together a list of places
>where people interested in doing PhD work in logic programming might
>go.

There are three faculty members at Madison with interests in logic programming.
Ken Kunen is interested in the theory of negation in logic programming,
to which he has made significant contributions.
.LP
Yannis Ioannidis is interested
in deductive databases and has done work on algebraic
formulations of logic programs, detection of bounded recursion, ordering
of conjuncts, optimization of transitive closures, and interfacing Prolog
to a database machine (the Britton-Lee IDM).
.LP
I work in deductive databases
too, and I'm interested in compilation techniques for efficient bottom-up
evaluation. I am generalizing the bottom-up approach
to develop alternative evaluation strategies, abstract interpreters,
and parallel evaluation schemes for Horn Clause logic programs and extensions
such as CLP(R).

Raghu Ramakrishnan

From sun!pyramid!sbcs!warren Mon May  9 15:24:55 1988
Date: 9 May 1988 14:05-EST
From: sun!sbcs!warren        (David Scott Warren)
Subject: Research in LP
To: pyramid!quintus!ok

Richard,

I saw your request on the  net for  Universities where  LP research 9not
just Prolog) is going on.  I'd like to have Stony Brook included in
your list.

I enjoy reading your contributions to the net. Keep up the interesting
discussions.

David

From sun!pyramid!sbcs!warren Mon May  9 15:25:05 1988
Date: 9 May 1988 14:51-EST
From: sun!sbcs!warren        (David Scott Warren)
Subject: Research in LP, take 2
To: pyramid!quintus!ok

Richard,

I'll try again.

Institute:
	SUNY at Stony Brook

Contact person:
	David Scott Warren

Postal address:
	Computer Science Department
	SUNY at Stony Brook
	Stony Brook, NY 11794-4400

E-mail address:
	warren@suny-sbcs.EDU

Programs offered:
	M.S.
	Ph.D.

People doing LP (and/or related) research:
	David Scott Warren - LP
	Michael Kifer - Deductive Databases and LP
	Jieh Hsiang - equational logic and term rewriting
	Leo Bachmair - term rewriting systems
		and various PhD students

Specific Topics:
	Logic Programming and Databases
	Modal and Higher-Order Logic Programming
	Expert Database Systems
	Applications
	Logic and Object-based Systems
	Inductive Theorem Proving
	Implementations of Logic Systems
	Theorem Proving and Logic Programming Environments

From sun!hplabs!rutgers!cs.duke.edu!ola Mon May  9 15:26:08 1988
Date: Mon, 9 May 88 09:01:21 EDT
From: Owen L. Astrachan <sun!hplabs!rutgers!cs.duke.edu!ola>
To: uflorida!umd5!ames!lll-tis!mordor!sri-spam!sri-unix!quintus!ok@gatech.edu
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog,comp.edu

A small amount of work in logic programming is going here at Duke.
People are working on higher order extensions to prolog (lambda-prolog)
and on extensions to prolog (Near-Horn prolog).  There is also some work
being done in theorem proving.  There is also some work in logic
(rewrite systems) going on at UNC.

From: sri-unix!jacksun.cs.umd.edu!minker (Jack Minker)
To: quintus!ok@unix.SRI.COM
Subject: LP at UMD

The following material should be added to my previous
message on this subject:

	Contact at Univ. Maryland on LP

		Professor Jack Minker
		Department of Computer Science
		and
		Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
		University of Maryland
		AV Williams Building
		College Park, Maryland 20742
		(301) 454-6119
		minker@umimsy.umd.edu
		or
		minker@jacksun.cs.umd.edu

                Areas of Research: Logic Programming, Parallel Logic Programming
                                   Deductive Databases, Informative and
                                   Cooperative Answer Generation, Non-monotonic
                                   Reasoning, Artificial Intelligence

	Additional Related Faculty

		Dr. Donald Perlis
		Department of Computer Science
		Univ. of Maryland
		College Park, MD 20742
                perlis@mimsy.umd.edu

		Areas of Research: Non-monotonic Reasoning, Belief Systems,
                                   Artificial Intelligence

		Dr. John Grant
		Department of Computer Science
		Towson State University
		Towson, MD
                (Visiting Faculty at University of Maryland)
                grant@mimsy.umd.edu

		Areas of Research: Deductive Databases

	Doctoral Students

		Annie Gal - Informative and Cooperative Answers (Sept. 1988)
		Terry Gaasterland - Natural Lang. Output for Informative Answers
		Mark Giuliano - Parallel Logic Programming
		Anne Litcher - Deductive Databases
		Jorge Lobo - Non-Horn Logic Programming
		Yuan Liu - Deductive Databases
		Arcot Rajasekar - Semantics on Non-Horn Logic Progs. (Dec. 1988)
		Chitta Baral - Belief Systems
		Huan Zhang - Parallel Logic Programming

	Post-Doctoral Visitor

		Irene Durand (France) -  Parallel Logic Programming

	Visiting Students

		Bruno Fargeon (France) - Parlallel Logic Programming
		Arnaud Nonclerq (France) - Informative and Cooperative Answers
		Helge Schuett (Germany) - Deductive Databases

I could send you a recent list of papers that have been written by
members of the group if you want it.

From sun!hubcap.clemson.edu!steve Mon May  9 20:13:10 1988
Date: Mon, 9 May 88 19:24:33 edt
From: "Steve" Stevenson <sun!hubcap.clemson.edu!steve>
To: quintus!ok%sun.com@RELAY.CS.NET

Richard:
	As you might suspect from our exchanges over matrices, we are
do some research here.  We now have several non-von machines [ FPS T-20,
Concurrent Computer 3280M, and the possibility of a Navier-Stokes].  The
current drive is to do distributed [vis-a-vis parallel] work.

	We are currently looking at distributed systems ala FCP.  There
is also stuff available jointly with mathematics in semantics and
psychology.

Steve.
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

From sun!pyramid!doc.ic.ac.uk!csk Thu May 12 12:01:57 1988
From: sun!doc.ic.ac.uk!csk
Date: Wed, 11 May 88 16:55:18 BST
To: sun!quintus!ok

Dear Richard,
	Thank you for starting the logic-programming-research list.
I am posting you information about the logic programming group
at Imperial College.
	Chris Hogger is reponisble for processing PhD applications
to our group. His e-mail address is  cjh@uk.ac.ic.doc (JANET). The
full postal address is

	Dr C J Hogger
	Dept. of Computing
	Imperial College
	180 Queen's Gate
	London SW7 2BZ
	England

Faculty members of our group include
	Krysia Broda
	Derek Brough
	Keith Clark
	Dov Gabbay
	Chris Hogger
	Bob Kowalski
	Frank Kriwaczek
	Chris Moss
	Graem Ringwood
	Marek Sergot
There are a number of research fellows and research assistants
as well, including Kave Eshghi, Steve Gregory and Frank McCabe.

We offer PhD programmes in the following main areas:
	parallel logic programming
	logic in AI
	tools and environments for logic programming
	theorem proving, computational logic and new logics
	logic applied to law and legislation
	deductive databases
	theory of logic programming
Initial enquiries and applications should be sent to Chris Hogger.

Our department also runs an MSc programme in
Foundations of Advanced Information Technology,
offering courses such as Logic, Theorem Proving, Logic
Programming, deductive databases, AI and Expert Systems.
Most PhD students take some of these taught course
in their first year, though they don't have to take
any written exams.

P.S. I am a PhD student supervised by Marek Sergot.
--
C S Kwok                                       Dept. of Computing
                                               Imperial College
From: Maurice Bruynooghe <sri-unix!sri-spam!mordor!uunet.UU.NET!prlb2!kulcs!maurice>
Date: Fri, 13 May 88 09:46:01 +0200
To: sri-spam!quintus!ok%uunet.uu.net
Cc: sri-spam!maurice%uunet.uu.net

We do

Department of Computer Science
Katholieke Universiteit leuven
Celestijnenlaan 200A
B3030 Heverlee
Belgium

Maurice Bruynooghe
maurice@kulcs.uucp

From sun!amdahl!uunet!comp.vuw.ac.nz!lindsay Sun May 15 23:12:08 1988
Date: Mon, 16 May 88 13:46:53 +1200
From: Lindsay Groves <sun!amdahl!uunet!comp.vuw.ac.nz!lindsay>
To: ok@quintus.uucp
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog,comp.edu

underway here, concerning the synthesis of logic programs from formal
specifications.

Lindsay
--

	Lindsay Groves

	Logic programmers' theme song: "The first cut is the deepest"

contact:       Mike Clarke
               Department of Computer Science
               Queen Mary College
               University of London
               Mile End Road
               London  E1 4NS    UK

JANET:  mike@uk.ac.qmc.cs
UUCP:   ...!ukc!qmc-cs!mike
ARPA:   mike@cs.qmc.ac.uk

Staff involved in Logic Programming and related research

        Wilfrid Hodges
        Steve Reeves
        Keith Clarke
        Dave Saunders
        Mike Clarke

together with, currently, 6 or 7 research staff and students

Research areas:

Model Theory, expressive power of Horn Clause logic etc.

Extensions of Prolog, and more general LP formalisms,
for non-monotonic and defeasible reasoning.

Parallelism (mainly extensions to Prolog that are
             well-supported by SIMD machines such as the DAP)

Relationship to other computational methods such as tableaux

Relationship between logic and functional programming

Deductive databases

Contact:
	Anjo Anjewierden
	Department of Social Science Informatics
	University of Amsterdam
	Herengracht 196
	1016 BS  Amsterdam
	The Netherlands
	(anjo@swivax.uucp)
	...!mcvax!swivax!anjo

Persons interested in logic programming and topics below:
	Anjo Anjewierden	(anjo)
	Bert Bredeweg		(bert)
	Wouter Jansweijer	(jansweij)
	Huub Knops		(huub)
	Guus Schreiber		(guussc)
	Maarten van Someren	(maarten)
	Jan Wielemaker		(jan)
	Bob Wielinga		(wielinga)

Large research projects:
	Problem Solving in Formal Domains (with Psychology department)
	A Methodology for the Development of KBS (with ESPRIT consortium)

Active research topics (all with Prolog):
	Hybrid programming environments including Prolog
	  (i.e. integrating Prolog and object-oriented programming)
	Tools for knowledge elicitiation, acquisition, representation and
		the design of KBS
	Machine learning
	Qualitative reasoning
	User interface management systems
	Human computer interaction

Courses:
	AI
	Programming in Prolog
	Intelligent Tutoring Systems
	Protocol Analysis

Tools in use:
	C-Prolog 1.5 (extended with several goodies)
	Quintus Prolog 2.0

Home grown:
	PCE-3 (object-oriented system which gives you windows, graphics)
	KLASS (knowledge representation system, similar to KL-ONE)
	KPT (collection of knowledge acquisition tools)

Machinery:
	Sun's (about 6; several models)
	Macintosh, IBM PC's

There's Veronica Dahl at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, British
Columbia.  As for the Waterloo->Victoria change, I do know that
van Emden has made the move.  I don't know anything about what
happened to the people left behind at Waterloo, but I believe there
were several other researchers there (the name David Poole springs to
mind).  [Forge from Logic Programming Newsletter.]

ok@mudla.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Richard O'Keefe) (11/23/89)

From Isaac Balbin at RMIT, Melbourne:

I suppose you can add the following from RMIT, soon to be called
Victoria University of Technology.

In alphabetical order, the following are staff members ...

Isaac Balbin	(Deductive Databases)
Phil Hingston   (Distributed Deductive Databases)
Wayne Jenkins   (machine learning)			*
Geoffrey Leach  (graphics & prolog)			*
Richard O'Keefe (WG17 bashing and net-raving, next year)
Mark Ross	(architecture issues)			%
James Thom	(   "		"   )			%
Ross Wilkinson  (Distributed Deductive Databases, Natural Language issues)
Willy Wen	(Uncertainty)				%

Starred entries are master's candidates, and % entries are PhD candidates.

isaac@goanna.oz.au (Isaac Balbin) (11/27/89)

Woops, I mucked up James' entry, sorry ...