[comp.lang.prolog] mac prolog

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (11/08/88)

A friend of mine is going to teach herself Prolog next semester and
wants a good system for the Mac.  What would the Net recommend, and how
much will it cost?

Thanks

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (11/09/88)

In article <1561@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>A friend of mine is going to teach herself Prolog next semester and
>wants a good system for the Mac.  What would the Net recommend, and how
>much will it cost?

I'm using AAIS Prolog, and I like it.  I'm no Prolog expert, but it seems to
be a righteous Prolog and it is a pretty good Macintosh program.  It includes
a large repertoire of predefined Mac ROM calls, and also a general mechanism
for making any ROM call by using its trap number.

It supports both the Edinburgh syntax and an extended syntax called AAIS
syntax.

It requires a good deal of memory, like a megabyte.  Given that, it runs
fine with MultiFinder, and with both recent and older System files.

The price is right; I forget what it was exactly but it was in the neighbor-
hood of $200.

David Casseres

schase@pollux.usc.edu (Scott Chase) (11/09/88)

In article <200@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <1561@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>>
>>A friend of mine is going to teach herself Prolog next semester and
>>wants a good system for the Mac.  What would the Net recommend, and how
>>much will it cost?
>
>I'm using AAIS Prolog, and I like it.  I'm no Prolog expert, but it seems to
>be a righteous Prolog and it is a pretty good Macintosh program.  It includes
>a large repertoire of predefined Mac ROM calls, and also a general mechanism
>for making any ROM call by using its trap number.
>
>It supports both the Edinburgh syntax and an extended syntax called AAIS
>syntax.
>
>It requires a good deal of memory, like a megabyte.  Given that, it runs
>fine with MultiFinder, and with both recent and older System files.
>
>The price is right; I forget what it was exactly but it was in the neighbor-
>hood of $200.
>
>David Casseres

I heartily agree with David. I've been using AAIS Prolog since Feb.1987 and it
is pretty powerful for a micro based system. The manual has a decent
introduction for getting started using THIS PARTICULAR PACKAGE - other than
that, the manual is a reference manual that at times makes UNIX man pages seem
like they were written for kindergarteners :-(. Much to their credit, AAIS was
shipping a copy of the book "Prolog Programming for Artificial Intelligence" by
Ivan Bratko, an excellent introduction to the language (I prefer it to Clocksin
& Mellish). I don't know if they are still doing this. If not, you will have
to get your own introduction to the language or buy some other interpreter.
The current issue of MacUser lists the price as $150 (the same as when I bought
it). You'll probably want to order it directly from them, since I doubt if any
computer store will have it in stock, or any mail order house will carry it.

AAIS' address is:

Advanced AI Systems
P.O. Box 39-0360
Mountain View, CA 94039-0360
(415) 961-1121

They were a small enough operation in Feb. '87, that when I called to inquire
about the product, I was able to talk to the president/developer, a very
personable fellow named Doug Lanam. So you know that the customer service
people CAN answer your questions!

I've used AAIS Prolog for writing theorem provers (successfully), and for
a graphics grammar system, where 1Mb wasn't enough (but that's a problem with
Prolog & Prolog applications in general - they can be memory hogs).

At the time, I felt it was the best package available for the price, and I
still feel so. I'm at the point where I need more power, so I'm moving on to
Quintus Prolog (for the Sun), but I'll always come back to AAIS. There are
other packages available for the Mac, some as good, most not, but the good ones
generally cost more:

ExperProlog II (ExperTelligence) - $495
LPA MacProlog (Programming Logic Systems) - $495 (another excellent package)
Personal Prolog (Optimized Systems Software) - $64.95
Prolog/m (Chalcedony Software) - $99.95

There are probably some other Mac Prologs available - I got these out of the
MacUser reviews.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER APPLIES. NO, I DO NOT WORK FOR AAIS.

         Scott Chase            schase@pollux.usc.edu
                                iak8sct@oac.ucla.edu

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (11/10/88)

In article <13330@oberon.USC.EDU> schase@pollux.usc.edu (Scott Chase) writes:
>I've used AAIS Prolog for writing theorem provers (successfully), and for
>a graphics grammar system, where 1Mb wasn't enough (but that's a problem with
>Prolog & Prolog applications in general - they can be memory hogs).

After allowing for the rather larger run-time system, if an application
could have been written in C, the Prolog version shouldn't need a lot
more memory than the C version.  About the worst that can happen to you
is manipulating sequences of characters:  where list-of-integer/vector-of-byte
is 8/1, but that's rarely the bottleneck.  I generally run Quintus Prolog
on a Sun-3 with "limit datasize 2M".  Any time that's not enough it usually
means it's time to take the hacks out of my code.

johnson@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Mark Johnson) (11/10/88)

I don't want to be too negative, but in my opinion AAIS prolog
incorporates a number of serious design flaws, the most important
of which are the "Lisp-style CONS cell lists" (p. 50 of User's Manual)
and the ensuing nonstandard behaviour of predicates like "clause".

ALS Prolog for the Mac (it appears to be a port of the PC version) is
a little better in this regard, and their implementation is
substantially faster than AAIS as well.  However their user interface
leaves something to be desired (eg. to load a predicate definition
from a window you must save the file and load the file).

Moreover, both implementations are somewhat buggy (ALS in particular),
which can be quite annoying - you never know if the problem is in your
program or the Prolog implementation.

What we really need is a good, solid Prolog implementation of the
standard of Allegro CommonLisp for the Mac.  I would strongly advise
anyone implementing Prolog for the Mac to look long and hard at
Allegro CL, especially their interface to the Mac OS. Allegro CL shows
that you can implement a solid product for the Mac and sell it at a
reasonable price and still make a profit  (are you listening, QP?)

Mark Johnson

Both of these implem

ok@quintus.uucp (Richard A. O'Keefe) (11/11/88)

In article <6383@csli.STANFORD.EDU> johnson@csli.UUCP (Mark Johnson) writes:
>ALS Prolog for the Mac ... (eg. to load a predicate definition
>from a window you must save the file and load the file).

That turns out not to be the case.  In the versions I tried, you could do
	consult(user).
in the main window, then select the window you want to load from, select
the clauses you want, and hit ENTER.  Those clauses having been compiled,
you select the main window again, then select END-OF-FILE from one of
the menus, and you're done.  Not as easy as meta-k-p, but not as bad as
it looked at first sight.  I would have preferred a "Compile Selection"
item in one of the menus, but it _is_ doable.

bmay@ibd.BRL.MIL (Robert M. May) (11/30/89)

I'm interested in Prolog environments for the macintosh.
I have a description of Advanced A.I. Systems Prolog M-2.0,
but I'd like information on other products if any are
available (commercial or public domain).

Thanks,
Bob May

bmay@ibd.brl.mil