[comp.lang.prolog] Compilers for breadth first search and bottom up computation ?

hanschke@uklirb.UUCP (Philipp Hanschke Dfki) (01/19/90)

In Article <2313@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> John Cleary wrote:

> The easiest way to do a breadth first search is to use a bounded depth search
> where the depth is increased after all the solutions at the earlier depth are
> found.  It is straightforward to write an interpreter to do this, and if
> you are a little more bold you can even compile away the interpreter.

I am generally interested in implementing breadth first search and bottom up
computation by compilation or program transformation for PROLOG-like languages.
References and fresh ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

         Philipp Hanschke

taplin@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Brad Taplin) (01/23/90)

Anyone out there know of a concise, well-written intro to prolog, sort
of a "prolog bible", much like my "bible of C" by Kernighan-Ritchie?
E-mail only please. I rarely read posts in this group since they still
fly well over my head. Many thanks...
t fooling anyone. I feel happy, I feel hap. Thanks. Right. See you Thurs
taplin c/o Jan Aho St.Olaf Northfield MN 55057 taplin@thor.acc.stolaf.edu

ceb@reading.ac.uk (Colin Bridgewater) (01/23/90)

In Article <2313@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> John Cleary wrote:

> The easiest way to do a breadth first search is to use a bounded depth search
> where the depth is increased after all the solutions at the earlier depth are
> found.  It is straightforward to write an interpreter to do this, and if
> you are a little more bold you can even compile away the interpreter.

Try using an agenda-based search technique, which requires no compiler or
interpreter and only one or two extra odds and sods to be passed between
functions. Eats stack, but is considerably easier to understand, and can
be modified to depth-first search with no extra code.

(or have I missed a couple of prior postings which explain why this is not
 an applicable technique????)

	Cheers,

		Colin

  Colin Bridgewater			   alias ceb 'the happy hacker'
  Construction Robotics Research Group
  Dept of Construction Management
  University of Reading                    ceb@uk.ac.rdg.onion
  0734 875123 x7187                        kqsbriwa@uk.ac.rdg.am.uts