[comp.lang.prolog] sbprolog

las@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Larry A. Sheilds {runs Lunapark}) (04/08/88)

Newsgroups: hp.unix,hp.lang,comp.lang.prolog
Subject: Re: stonybrook prolog??? +  getrusage???
getrusage is yet another 4.2'ism.   I've have managed to get it compiled
under 386 XENIX but it always dumps core part way through loading
$readloop.  Has anyone managed to get it sucessfuly working under 386
Xenix?

=larry

---------------------------
LARRY SHIELDS                        UUCP: ...!ihnp4!msudoc!lunapark!larry
P.O. Box 6159                        BIX:  lshields
E. Lansing, MI 48826                 Compuserve: 70277, 3677

BBS: lunapark 1200/2400 8-1-N  24hrs 7 days a week  (517) 337-3844 login: bbs

greg@ntvax.UUCP (04/13/88)

Re: sbprolog

I am trying to get sbprolog running on a VAX 11-780 running 4.3+NFS.
I keep running into a dump when trying to run $readloop.

Any help or suggestions ?

 /*---------------------------------------------------------------
  Greg Jones                           University of North Texas
  Research Systems Administrator       Denton, Tx
  Dept of Computer Science             76203
  Phone : (817) 565-2279
  UUCP  : {convex,infoswx}!ntvax!greg
 ---------------------------------------------------------------*/

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Stop calling me Fred) (04/18/88)

greg@ntvax.UUCP writes:
) I am trying to get sbprolog running on a VAX 11-780 running 4.3+NFS.
) I keep running into a dump when trying to run $readloop.

Make sure your environment variable SIMPATH is set.  If it isn't,
SB Prolog will dereference some NULL pointers.

			Matt Crawford

rolandi@gollum.UUCP (wgr) (03/15/89)

What's the story on Stony Brook Prolog?  I've heard good things about it
as a development environment but is it efficient enough for production
quality systems?

Where does one get it?  Is it in the public domain?

Walter Rolandi
(insert your feed here)!ncrlnk!ncrcae!rolandi
rolandi@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM
NCR Advanced Systems Development
Columbia, SC  USA

yehuda@olympus.CWRU.EDU (Yechiel Yehuda) (03/17/89)

	I tried sending this letter to you through Netmail but it
  bounced back.  Sorry for cluttering the newsgroup.

	The computer lab at Case Western Reserve uses SBprolog for the
  CMPS 391 Introduction to Artificial Intelligence course taught
  by Prof. Leon Sterling.  The software is public domain and can
  be ftp'ed from megaron.arizona.edu  The program is INCREDIBLY SLOW
  when running on our Vax 2000 under Unix.  It hogs 2 Megs of memory
  right off the bat.  It's debuging pales to Sicstus or Quintus Prolog.
  Yes it does Prolog -- cuts, not, member and all that stuff, but I could
  never see it really be used in a serious way.

	I am a BIG fan of prolog!  But SBprolog just doesn't cut it.
  For any real work I use Sicstus or Quintus -- they are superior.
  If you can afford a real Prolog get one.  Remember you get what you
  pay for -- and SBprolog is free.
  BTW our sp and qp run on Sun 3/60 's which may also account for their
  speed.

	This is only my humble opinion based on my experience as the TA
  of CMPS 391 and my useage of SBprolog.  Verdict: thumbs up for Prolog;
  thumbs down for SBprolog.

			        A Freiliche Purim (Happy Purim),
				Gil Yehuda
--
Y. Gil Yehuda     gil@bach.ces.cwru.edu   yehuda@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu

See'yag Li'chachma Shtika

dan@osiris.sics.se (Dan Sahlin) (03/17/89)

Gil Yehuda wrote:
>  For any real work I use Sicstus or Quintus -- they are superior.
>  If you can afford a real Prolog get one.  Remember you get what you
>  pay for -- and SBprolog is free.

SICStus Prolog is essentially free. What you pay for is a handling fee
which is SEK 1000 (less than USD 200) for universities.
We also require that you sign a license agreement.

To emphasize that SICStus is not a commercial product, we have the
following policy: If you claim that you cannot afford the handling fee,
you will get it for free!

For further information, contact sicstus_request@sics.se

	Dan Sahlin, SICS

email: dan@sics.se

ijd@otter.hpl.hp.com (Ian Dickinson) (04/04/89)

My experience is different.  I have used SBprolog for a couple of medium
sized programs, and a whole host of "back-of-an-envelope" experiments.
My verdict was that it is *very* fast - beating Poplog prolog, a couple of
experimental systems and (unfortunately) HPProlog hands down.  My
reservations were more that it was a bit too flaky, and tended to bomb
for no apparent reason about once per day.

I was running on a dedicated (ie to me!) HP 9000/350 workstation. Differences
in percieved speed could be due to having different versions, or it
could just be superior hardware, plug, plug [no! no! I didn't say that :-) ]

Just for the record, I benchmarked (yes, I know we all hate that word in
this context) SBProlog 2.5, using naive reverse (as supplied with the
package), 1000 iterations, at
	36K Lips compiled
	13K Lips interpreted

Last time I used Quintus - in a previous life, some 2 years ago - I recall
getting 45 to 50 K Lips, compiled, out of a Sun 3.

Personally, I think the best improvement they could make to SBP is the
addition of a garbage collector, which I understand will happen in next
major release.  That and supplying the documentation in LaTeX format anyway.

Enough rambling, I like it, and I hope Saumya Debray keeps up the good work.

Ian.

| Ian Dickinson,  HP Labs, Information Systems Centre,    Bristol, England  |
| net: ijd%otter@hplabs.hp.com        |                                     |
|  or:       ijd@hplb.uucp            |  ?-  mind(X),  body(X),  spirit(X). |
| These opinions are all my own work. |                                     |

messer@galahad.ucsd.edu (05/21/89)

Has anyone out there used SBProlog (Sunny Brook Prolog)?  I got it from
uunet.uu.net anonymous ftp, and am trying to get it to work on the Sun 3
net at our school.  Everything compiles more-or-less ok, but when I try
to execute the 'bytecode' (a semi-compiled form sbprolog outputs) for the
command interpreter read loop, it halts immediately with a "Program Terminated
Normally" message.  The IO part of the interpreter has all kinds of constants
hardwired into it, so that's probably the problem.

Because I'm just learning to program in prolog, I'm hoping to find someone
who's used SBProlog and knows how it's supposed to act before I go munging
through the code looking for machine dependancies.  Please send me mail
if you know about this.

					Keith Messer
					messer@galahad.ucsd.edu

ntm1169@dsacg1.UUCP (Mott Given) (06/06/89)

   How difficult is it to install SB Prolog?  We have Gould 9050 minicomputers,
   an NP-1, and an AT&T 3B2 running UNIX.  Is SB Prolog very difficult to
   work with, in terms of coding and debugging applications?  Sometimes I
   have had difficulty using public domain software as it had many bugs.
   Does SB Prolog adhere very closely to the Clockin and Mellish "standard?"
   Is any training available on how to use it?  Is any technical support
   available or is there a users group for it?  Does anyone have info on the
   performance implications of developing and/or running SB Prolog applications
   on a computer system?

--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

kxs5829@ultb.UUCP (K.X. Saunders) (09/19/89)

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I can get Stony Brook Prolog version 2.5 for
the Amiga.  I already have version ~2.2 on FF140-141.

						Thanks,
				 Kyle

lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) (02/08/90)

I just picked up a copy of sbprolog from cs.arizona.edu.  Unfortunately I
can't seem to get it running.  I need it in a bit of a hurry and I'm
hoping someone can help me out.

I tried getting both available versions (2.5 and 3.0).  Both compile
fine, but neither one seems to work.  I type "sbprolog \$readloop" like
the documentation says, but I get the message "Halt.  Program terminated
normally" (or something reaonably close to that).  I'm doing this on a
Sun 3 running SunOS 4.0.  I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Larry

--
lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu / CLARKE'S THIRD LAW: