[comp.lang.prolog] INGRES and PROLOG

andrew@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Andrew Jones) (01/22/90)

Here at Cardiff, we have experience in Ingres and Prolog, but at the moment
we are interested in obtaining some kind of front end such that we can
formulate database queries in Prolog. We are not sure whether to write one
ourself. We would be grateful if anyone is able to inform us of fairly
reliable software able to perform this task, thus helping us decide whether
we need to write our own.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
Andrew C. Jones
University of Wales College of Cardiff
Department of Computing Mathematics
Mathematics Institute
Senghennydd Road
Cardiff CF2 4AG
WALES
UK

tachi@wm120_no0.rinfo.sumiden.co.jp (Nobutoshi Tachibana) (02/06/90)

In article <1137@cf-cm.UUCP>, andrew@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Andrew Jones) writes:
> Here at Cardiff, we have experience in Ingres and Prolog, but at the moment
> we are interested in obtaining some kind of front end such that we can
> formulate database queries in Prolog. We are not sure whether to write one
> ourself. We would be grateful if anyone is able to inform us of fairly
> reliable software able to perform this task, thus helping us decide whether
> we need to write our own.

We have a Prolog Compiler 'E-prolog' which has a interface with INGRESS.

It can access to Unify database and Informix database.

If you want to know much about it , please mail me.

						Sumitomo Electric, Japan
						N.Tachibana

						$B>pJsDL?.%7%9%F%`(J($B;v(J)
				                $B5L!w%7%9%F%`2](J

andrew@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Andrew Jones) (02/13/90)

Well, I'd like to thank all the people who responded to our original query.
I have emailed responses to those who contacted me. Some people were interested
to know what I have learned, so here's a summary:

N. Tachibana <tachi@wm120_no0.rinfo.sumiden.co.jp>
posted a response concerning their Prolog Compiler 'E-prolog'
which has an interface with INGRES.

<bimbart@uucp.kulcs> states that BIM-Prolog supports an almost full
Ingres interface. Suggested contacts: ben@sunbim.uucp and anne@kulcs.uucp.

Chris Moss <cdsm@uk.ac.ic.doc> has some software produced by a student which
could be used as a starting point.

<jorge%uucp.ecrcvax@de.uni-dortmund.informatik.unido> pointed to their product
MegaLog (a new version of KB Prolog).

<timos%edu.umd.mimsy@edu.umd.cs.mykines> stated that they have done something
like this at the University of Maryland, reported in the June 1988 issue of
ACM SIGMOD record.

<steven@uk.ac.ed.epistemi> indicated that NU-Prolog has a facility for external
databases which may be sufficient. This module is fast, and interfaces to SQL
and Unify. He suggests writing to mip@oz.munnari.

I have tried to keep this summary terse. I would like to say again that
I am most grateful for the response I have received.

THANKS!
Andrew