[net.movies] Mistakes

bhilden@druxj.UUCP (HildenbrandBE) (06/10/85)

Couple of points:

1) I too saw the women in the background of "Rambo".
   Being a forgiving type, I assumed that they were
   just natives out doing their laundry or something
   how come no one picked up on that?

2) Did anyone also notice that in AVTAK in the fire truck
   chase scene that the cable cars had wheels!!!!

Bruce Hildenbrand

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/11/85)

I believe that AVTAK was filmed in S.F. during the period when
the cable car system was down for repairs.  Over that period,
the city ran "cable car buses" instead.  Can't blame the movie
for that!

--Lauren--

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (06/12/85)

> 2) Did anyone also notice that in AVTAK in the fire truck
>    chase scene that the cable cars had wheels!!!!
>
> Bruce Hildenbrand

They work better when they have wheels.  :-)

Seriously, the cable car system just went thought an extensive renovating
project.  While the cables were being replaced, SF wanted to keep the
cable cars visible (tourist and commuter reasons), so a fleet of
"cable-less cable cars" hit the streets.  These were just glorified buses.

--Kevin Chu
ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/26/85)

In article <1016@druxj.UUCP> bhilden@druxj.UUCP writes:
>2) Did anyone also notice that in AVTAK in the fire truck
>   chase scene that the cable cars had wheels!!!!
>
>Bruce Hildenbrand

Actually, those were real, in a sense.  There are "cable cars with
wheels" which can be rented for tours, etc.  I used to live right
next to the garage for these.  They are not, of course, *REAL*
cable cars (no cables!), but they are things that you would really
be able to see on the street in San Francisco.

                      Muffy

In article <688@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
>I believe that AVTAK was filmed in S.F. during the period when
>the cable car system was down for repairs.  Over that period,
>the city ran "cable car buses" instead.  Can't blame the movie
>for that!
>
>--Lauren--

Yes, *but*...the "cable car buses" were actual MUNI buses which took
over the routes of the cable cars.  They did *not* look like cable
cars.  The "wheeled cable cars" are still going, even though the
cable cars are back in service.  The MUNI replacement lines are,
however, gone.

                Muffy