[comp.lang.prolog] OOP vs Logic Programming?

nilsh@infolog.se (Nils Hagner) (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun25.081456.24310@eua.ericsson.se>, euakan@eua.ericsson.se (Theo.Kanter) writes:
> I have been wondering for some time, whether an object oriented
> programming style can be combined with a declarative programming
> style and in what ways.

This field is still somewhat "untouched," but there have been some work
on object-oriented logic programming. There is definitely a connection
between OOP and concurrent logic programming (i.e., AND-parallel logic
programming). The "process paradigm" used in GHC, Parlog and Concurrent
Prolog is, in my eyes, almost equivalent to the "object paradigm" in
OOP. Some work on more specialized OOLP have also been made. I believe
one system is called A'UM, developed by researchers at ICOT. I also
believe Sven-Olof Nystr|m at Uppsala University has written a report
on this subject.

	--- Nils

Nils Hagner, INFOLOGICS AB, E-mail: NILSH@INFOLOG.SE, Fax: +46 8 96 08 46