[net.movies] What's the word for a 1972 car appearing in a film set in 1950?

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (06/06/85)

> What's the word for a 1972 car appearing in a film set in 1950?
> "Anachronism" is close, and I believe there's a better word I've forgotten.

>	UUCP: ..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado    ARPA: elsie!ado@seismo.ARPA
>	DEC, VAX and Elsie are Digital Equipment and Borden trademarks

How about stupid?
--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

"So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood..."
"And therefore..."
"A witch!"

uggworek@sunybcs.UUCP (Donald Gworek) (06/08/85)

> > What's the word for a 1972 car appearing in a film set in 1950?

Do I win the LOTTO jackpot with "gaffe"?

dar@telesoft.UUCP (David Reisner @shine) (06/13/85)

> > > What's the word for a 1972 car appearing in a film set in 1950?

(Sorry if this has appeared many times before.  I'm a bit behind on my news...)

Continuity Error

Typically, there is a person working on a film who is in charge of
"continuity".  If someone's shirt becomes clean, the part in their
hair changes sides, or they dry off over a few feet, it is
continuity's fault.  It can be a Really tough job, given that movies
are, in general, not shot in sequence.

-David
sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (06/18/85)

friedman@h-sc1.UUCP (dawn friedman) (06/25/85)

> Continuity Error
>
> Typically, there is a person working on a film who is in charge of
> "continuity".  If someone's shirt becomes clean, the part in their
> hair changes sides, or they dry off over a few feet, it is
> continuity's fault.  It can be a Really tough job, given that movies
> are, in general, not shot in sequence.

It can be rough on the actors, or extras, involved as well.  Ephraim
Kishon has a pretty story about this in _Unfair to Goliath_.  If
anyone has read this (unlikely) I'd like to know if the practices
described are at all realistic...

               Dawn Sharon
               (dsf/speaker)

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/29/85)

> >Continuity Error
> >Typically, there is a person working on a film who is in charge of
> >"continuity".  If someone's shirt becomes clean, the part in their
> >hair changes sides, or they dry off over a few feet, it is
> >continuity's fault.  It can be a Really tough job, given that movies
> >are, in general, not shot in sequence.
> >Or perhaps "anachronism" is what you're looking for.
> >-David
> >sdcsvax!telesoft!dar

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice how anachronistic _Prizzi's_
_Honor_ was?  I mean, at one point one of the characters gets out of a
late 1970s Ford station wagon, and mid-1970s vans appear in some of the
scenes at the industrial laundry.  (It was supposed to be a late 1950s
or early 1960s period piece.)  I lost count of the number of items
that were grossly wrong.