[net.movies] _1984_

kelvin@ut-sally.UUCP (Kelvin Thompson) (06/15/85)

                               _1984_

                          by Kelvin Thompson

 _1984_ is a bad, utterly depressing, anti-humanist movie.  The producer
 of the movie has claimed that at its heart the movie is a love story, but
 in truth it is a relentless attack on the nobility of the human
 condition.

 To be sure, the plot of the movie does have the broad outline of a love
 story.  A man, John Hurt (_The_Elephant_Man_, _A_Man_for_All_Seasons_),
 meets a woman, played by an unknown British actress, and they embark on a
 difficult relationship.  Unfortunately, the "difficulty" in their
 relationship is that they live in a futuristic, totalitarian society
 which forbids love.  (It is unfathomable why the movie is entitled
 _1984_, when it is so obviously set in the future.)

 Certainly there is nothing wrong with telling a story about forbidden
 love (consider Zeffirelli's _Romeo_and_Juliet_), but _1984_ relegates the
 love story to a secondary status, spending more time depicting the
 dehumanizing influences of the society.  The viewer can take only so many
 of these scenes -- involving dingy surroundings, tired, gray workers, and
 discussions of the decimation of history and language -- before he gets
 bogged down in a sense of utter despair, hardly the mood a romance is
 supposed to engender.

 And all that is before the movie gets *really* depressing.  Eventually
 the lovers are caught and carted off to prison (ironically called the
 "Ministry of Love").  The audience never finds out exactly what happens
 to the woman, but we see all too clearly what Hurt undergoes.  It turns
 out that the authorities don't merely want to make Hurt pay for his "sex
 crime," or to make him publicly repudiate it, they want him to actually
 loathe the love he felt for the woman.  This calls for especially extreme
 torture, and the audience sees every second of it.

 These prison scenes also give the writers a chance to really cut loose
 with their anti-humanist, Skinnerian philosophy.  Between tortures Hurt
 and his jailer, the late Richard Burton (_The_Wild_Geese_), talk about
 the society they live in, and Hurt loses every debate. Time and time
 again Hurt raises a point about love or kindness or hope, Burton bats it
 down, and writers choose not to have Hurt raise a counter point.
 Finally, after a particularly brutal torture (which the viewer is all but
 forced to look away from) Hurt gives in and truly renounces his love for
 the girl.

 The final scene removes any remaining doubt that this might be even a
 tragic romance.  The two former lovers, freed after their
 "rehabilitation," meet.  They are distant, indifferent to one another,
 and after trading inanities they go their separate ways.  Finally, in his
 closing lines, Hurt proclaims that his love has shifted to Big Brother,
 the leader of the entirely un-romantic society he lives in.  The final
 hope for tenderness has received its final kick in the face.

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (06/16/85)

1984 had nothing to do with romance. Read the book (in fact, read
a few of Orwell's writings, esp. Animal Farm) and the message
should be clearer.
--
	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	The Ohio State University

ck@ima.UUCP (06/16/85)

Huh?  You ever been in a library?  Ever take an English course?
Ever hear of this guy named George Orwell?  He was a little known
writer, wrote a couple of books, some good, some bad.  Wrote this
one book called *1984*, a futuristic novel published in 1948 in
England, made it to the States in 1949.  About this guy named Winston
and his society.  Back then, you see, 1984 WAS the future.

In 1956, a movie was made based upon this book.  And then, in 1984,
another company gathered to film a more faithful account.  This time
it included the ending the book had, depressing or not.

I suggest you read the book.  It might explain the movie a bit more.

ck
ihnp4!ima!ck

anton@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Anton) (06/16/85)

In article <2107@ut-sally.UUCP> kelvin@ut-sally.UUCP (Kelvin Thompson) writes:

>                               _1984_
>
>                          by Kelvin Thompson
>
> _1984_ is a bad, utterly depressing, anti-humanist movie.  The producer
> of the movie has claimed that at its heart the movie is a love story, but
> in truth it is a relentless attack on the nobility of the human
> condition.
> relationship is that they live in a futuristic, totalitarian society
> which forbids love.  (It is unfathomable why the movie is entitled
> _1984_, when it is so obviously set in the future.)

This reviewer seems to have never heard of George Orwell or his
*time-less* story of love destroyed by a totalitarian goverenment.
I would still tend to agree with the producer that *at its heart* it's
a love story.  Love stories often end in a not-very-happy way
because love is damaged by events.  1984 presents a case where love
is outlawed and enforced by highly skilled secret police and propeganda.
The flavor is not saddness toward the couple but anger at the system,
a very different love story.

As to the title, the book was written in 1948 and assumed a nuclear
war occered in the 1960's.  As a title, 1984 becomes frightening because
the time span is short (from when the book was released) and if one
believed that such things could happen then one would be scared of
the future for oneself or one's children.  My current feelings are
that although we are past the year 1984, we are not past the possibility
of such a world.  And also, perhaps, that we have now reached the point
where a nuclear war is not at all survivable; meanning the world
Mr. Orwell presents can not happen because the war that would create
that world would be too complete with it's destruction.  Or perhaps this
concept certain individuals have about a limited nuclear war will
build the 1984 scenario.

But at the moment I'm more concerned that Mr. Thompson's education
never mentioned Mr. Orwell.  For me, I have read 1984 as an assignment
three times: once in 8th grade, 11th grade, and in Freshman
composition.  I have a difficult time believing that a person could
reach grad school and not have heard about this book.

But since this is net.movies I must say that I think the movie is close
to what Mr. Orwell may have wanted us to visualize.  Maybe the problem
with the movie is that it's too harsh.  As a book we can put it away
for a day or not try to visualize what it happening.  As a movie
we have to face it and follow it.  If you go to the movies to escape
from your day to day life, don't see this film.  You will want to
stick with your own reasonably happy life.
--
C knows no bounds.
					Jeff Anton

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (06/16/85)

 >_1984_ is a bad, utterly depressing, anti-humanist movie.  The producer
 >of the movie has claimed that at its heart the movie is a love story, but
 >in truth it is a relentless attack on the nobility of the human
 >condition.

 >which forbids love.  (It is unfathomable why the movie is entitled
 >_1984_, when it is so obviously set in the future.)

     Not to be picky or anything, but didn't you read George Orwell's
"1984", on which this movie is based????? Considering that the book was
written in the 1940's(?), Orwell thought 1984 to be far enough in the
future, thus the "obviously set in the future". You did read this in some
English class didn't you?????

mff@wuphys.UUCP (Mark Flynn) (06/17/85)

>                                _1984_
>
>                           by Kelvin Thompson
>
>  _1984_ is a bad, utterly depressing, anti-humanist movie.  The producer
>  of the movie has claimed that at its heart the movie is a love story, but
>  in truth it is a relentless attack on the nobility of the human
>  condition.

Perhaps you didn't know, but there is a book by the same name.  Written by some
Orwell guy.  Anyways, that was utterly depressing as well.  In fact, I believe
it was intended to be.  As far as it being anit-humanist, I believe that you're
confusing the description of an anti-humanist state with the advocation of it.

						Mark F. Flynn
						Department of Physics
						Washington University
						St. Louis, MO  63130
						ihnp4!wuphys!mff

"There is no dark side of the moon, really.
 Matter of fact, it's all dark."

				P. Floyd

cs1@oddjob.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (06/17/85)

                 _1984_

           The book vs. the film

     The film _1984_ has an unfortunate difference in emphasis from the book.
Orwell stressed the intellectual brutality of IngSoc and its language,
how the main character fought that brutality by simply (and illegally) main-
taining his diary, and through that diary the integrity of his own mind.
There are strong hints throughout the book that the affair with the girl
was set up merely to destroy his capacity to figure out when he was being
lied to.  (It worked.)
      The film, on the other hand, stresses the physical and psychological
brutality of of the system.  They won't let him shave or make love.  They
torture him because he asks questions and thinks for himself.  The film is
very true to the book in many details, but what's left out is Orwell's
story of a man struggling to articulate his own ideas while being bombarded
with flashy rhetoric intended to dupe him otherwise.
      I came away from the book convinced that Madison Avenue was just a
candy-coated version of IngSoc. I came away from the movie relieved that
I'd never been tortured here in wonderful democratic America.

      Has anyone else noticed this difference?

                                                  Cheryl Stewart
--

There's one kind of favor I'll ask of you:

  Just see that my grave is kept clean.

nunes@utai.UUCP (Joe Nunes) (06/18/85)

   Before anyone gets too carried away, it is just possible that the original
posting was an elaborate joke.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (csdf) (06/19/85)

In article <799@oddjob.UUCP> cs1@oddjob.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) writes:
>                 _1984_
>
>           The book vs. the film
>     The film _1984_ has an unfortunate difference in emphasis from the book.

I didn't find it unfortunate. The movie was great.

>There are strong hints throughout the book that the affair with the girl
>was set up merely to destroy his capacity to figure out when he was being
>lied to.  (It worked.)

Maybe I should read it again, but I didn't perceive these "strong hints"
in that way, the film seemed accurate.

>left out is Orwell's
>story of a man struggling to articulate his own ideas while being bombarded
>with flashy rhetoric intended to dupe him otherwise.
> I came away from the book convinced that Madison Avenue was just a
>candy-coated version of IngSoc. I came away from the movie relieved that
>I'd never been tortured here in wonderful democratic America.
> Has anyone else noticed this difference?
> Cheryl
Stewart
I don't think this is left out at all. The scenes in the Ministry of
Love contain a lot of dialogue that brings this subjecct to the
forefront. Also, you should consider that a movie is an interpretation
of a book, not a copy of it.
I didn't notice the difference you mention. (also, I think you are
putting a little too much faith in the American Government, but that's
another flame :-)

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (06/20/85)

>                                _1984_
>
>                           by Kelvin Thompson
>
>  _1984_ is a bad, utterly depressing, anti-humanist movie.  The producer
>  of the movie has claimed that at its heart the movie is a love story, but
>  in truth it is a relentless attack on the nobility of the human
>  condition.

This review makes me wonder whether Mr. Thompson ever read the book "1984" by
George Orwell.  "1984" is one of the most important books of this century, and
from everything I have heard, the latest movie version of it is pretty true to
the book.

The book "1984" is definitely pro-humanist.  George Orwell intended it as a
satire of the trend toward totalitarianism that existed in the year he wrote
it, 1948, and still exists today.  The point is that totaliarianism destroys
love and everything else that is noble about humanity.  The depressing tone
of the book and the movie, and the fact that Winston Smith completely loses
his humanity in the end, are intended to make you feel the hopelessness that
living under totalitarianism must bring.

I'm really surprised that someone posted a "spoiler" of 1984.  I thought just
about everyone had read the book.  I was required to read it in High School
English.  If the review to which I am responding was a joke, sorry for boring
you by not getting it.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (06/24/85)

In article <2107@ut-sally.UUCP>, kelvin@ut-sally.UUCP (Kelvin Thompson) writes:

>                                _1984_
>
>                           by Kelvin Thompson

Having not seen the movie, I will not argue you opinion of it. But, from
those comments I've extracted below and capitalized, I get the feeling you
don't even know the literary source of thsi movie. If you don't, I'll kindly
inform you that it is George Orwell's classic novel "1984", written in
1948 (last two digits of the year the story was written were reversed to
arrive at the title of the book).

>  To be sure, the plot of the movie does have the broad outline of a love
>  story.  A man, John Hurt (_The_Elephant_Man_, _A_Man_for_All_Seasons_),
>  meets a woman, played by an unknown British actress, and they embark on a
>  difficult relationship.  Unfortunately, the "difficulty" in their
>  relationship is that they live in a futuristic, totalitarian society
>  which forbids love.  (IT IS UNFATHOMABLE WHY THE MOVIE IS ENTITLED
>  _1984_, WHEN IT IS SO OBVIOUSLY SET IN THE FUTURE.)
>

>  THESE PRISON SCENES ALSO GIVE THE WRITERS A CHANCE TO REALLY CUT LOOSE
>  WITH THEIR ANTI-HUMANIST, SKINNERIAN PHILOSOPHY.  Between tortures Hurt
>  and his jailer, the late Richard Burton (_The_Wild_Geese_), talk about
>  the society they live in, and Hurt loses every debate. Time and time
>  again Hurt raises a point about love or kindness or hope, Burton bats it
>  down, AND WRITERS CHOOSE NOT TO HAVE HURT RAISE A COUNTER POINT.
>  Finally, after a particularly brutal torture (which the viewer is all but
>  forced to look away from) Hurt gives in and truly renounces his love for
>  the girl.

You are correct in feeling that the movie shouldn't be billed as a love
story, it's not. It's a story about a society and the love story is used as
a foil to fully illustrate the societies evil, by our standards. As mentioned
above, Richard Burton's character manages to defend every evil of the
society as being the good of the society. It depends on your point of view
and personal morals. What's so depressing about the scene above is that, as
a reader, you find it hard to battle the arguments also. You don't want to
believe any thing the "Torturer" tells you, but you are unable to not
believe it. The novel is a very depressing and frightening story, and
this is what makes it endure so well. It captures much truth of social
systems and their capabilities and possibilities. (An aside, I heard
that the U.S.S.R. has finally recognized this book, stating that it is
a statement against the evils of Capitalim. )

Your review makes it appear that the movie follows the book very well,
conveying much of the same emotions the book expresses. "1984" is a classic
novel, and very depressing and frightening view of our possible future.
It is book based much on ideas, and because of this, I don't feel any
movie could do it real justice. But, please, when you criticize any
movie, get your information straight and assign your criticism to those
wh deserve it, whether good or bad.

				Scott A. Stewart
				LMSC

wendt@bocklin.UUCP (06/25/85)

>  Finally, after a particularly brutal torture (which the viewer is all but
>  forced to look away from) Hurt gives in and truly renounces his love for
>  the girl.

Hurt gives in *during* the torture.

arizona!wendt

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/29/85)

>                  _1984_
>
>            The book vs. the film
>

>      The film _1984_ has an unfortunate difference in emphasis from the book.
> Orwell stressed the intellectual brutality of IngSoc and its language,
> how the main character fought that brutality by simply (and illegally) main-
> taining his diary, and through that diary the integrity of his own mind.
> There are strong hints throughout the book that the affair with the girl
> was set up merely to destroy his capacity to figure out when he was being
> lied to.  (It worked.)
>       The film, on the other hand, stresses the physical and psychological
> brutality of of the system.  They won't let him shave or make love.  They
> torture him because he asks questions and thinks for himself.  The film is
> very true to the book in many details, but what's left out is Orwell's
> story of a man struggling to articulate his own ideas while being bombarded
> with flashy rhetoric intended to dupe him otherwise.

I agree there is a difference in emphasis between book and movie --- I
think because it is much easier to show physical and psychological brutality
in film than to explore the intellectual destruction.

>       I came away from the book convinced that Madison Avenue was just a
> candy-coated version of IngSoc. I came away from the movie relieved that
> I'd never been tortured here in wonderful democratic America.

I think you trivialize the nature of Newspeak when you compare it to
advertising.

If the only relief you felt after the movie was that you'd never been
tortued, I think you may have missed something in the depiction of how
boring and dull life under IngSoc was.

And your apparent sarcasm "wonderful democratic America" suggests that you
need to spend more time studying totalitarian regiemes around the world.

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (07/01/85)

In article <485@leadsv.UUCP> sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) writes:

> Your review makes it appear that the movie follows the book very well,
> conveying much of the same emotions the book expresses. "1984" is a classic
> novel, and very depressing and frightening view of our possible future.
> It is book based much on ideas, and because of this, I don't feel any
> movie could do it real justice. But, please, when you criticize any

I thought that this was an OUTSTANDING movie which really did justice to
the novel.

--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA