[comp.lang.prolog] value trailing

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (09/14/90)

In article <1032@ecrc.de> micha@ecrc.de (Micha Meier) writes:
>This is interesting. Is no-one out there using the trail to store
>directly the old value together with its address? This is the
>so-called value-trailing, as opposed to the usual address trailing

I'm experimenting with a scheme where bound variables never need dereferencing.
This is done by keeping sharing variables in a circular list and when
binding a variable binding each variable in the list. This needs value-trailing.

The hope is this scheme works better than the usual reference chain scheme
where global analysis is involved.  It should produce faster analysis
and better results where analysis becomes imprecise, where a module is
analysed alone and where information from mode declarations.

I'm not worried about doubling the trail size. Global analysis removes
most trailing anyway. I think the cost of the extra trail read & writes is
probably less than the benefits.

Andrew