[comp.lang.prolog] IBM PC/AT Prolog products

chu@church.cs.unc.edu (Heng Chu) (10/06/90)

My wife is using Prolog to work on her master thesis. Can anyone recommend any
decent commercial Prolog product (besides Turbo Prolog which we have and don't
like) on IBM PC/286 which can easily accomplish the followings:

	o compatible with the Prolog mentioned in common Prolog text (like
	  that in C-Prolog or ALS-Prolog). No need to do declarations.
	o provide interface with other languages, preferablly Pascal.
	o i/o, especially the screen manipulation.
	o database facilities.
	o compilation.

It would be better if it also provides facility to use memory above 640K. I
know those features somehow point to Turbo Prolog but we still like to know if
there is any other decent Prolog product which can do the same and act more
like C-Prolog or ALS-Prolog.

Thanks in advance.

Heng Chu
chu@cs.unc.edu

bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) (10/07/90)

In article <16556@thorin.cs.unc.edu> chu@church.cs.unc.edu (Heng Chu) writes:
>Can anyone recommend any
>decent commercial Prolog product (besides Turbo Prolog which we have and don't
>like) on IBM PC/286 which can easily accomplish the followings...

I moved from Turbo Prolog to Arity Prolog, and am fairly happy with it.  Arity
was substantially less expensive than the PC Prolog marketed by Quintus, and
has all of the features you mention in your list.

>It would be better if it also provides facility to use memory above 640K.

On the other hand, Arity and as far as I know every other major PC prolog
except Turbo limits you to 64k of stack space.  It's possible to get useful
work done in spite of this, as long as you are willing to use side-effects
(and if you don't need to backtrack through a really large search space).

I keep hoping they'll get embarrassed by this silly limitation and fix it--
in most other respects they have a top-notch product.

Bradley

 Bradley L. Richards       uucp:  cs.utexas.edu!bradley
 bradley@cs.utexas.edu     CompuServe:  75216,1744