[comp.lang.prolog] POPLOG

bozsahin@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Cem Bozsahin) (10/18/90)

a few questions about POPLOG:
- what kind of Prolog is supported? Edinburgh?
- any utilities for natural language processing? does it have
  a DCG compiler ?
- does anybody know the e-mail address of the company (Integral Solutions
  from UK)?
thanks,
Cem

--
    -- Cem Bozsahin    bozsahin@ace.cs.ohiou.edu

In article <2170@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, bozsahin@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Cem Bozsahin) writes:
> a few questions about POPLOG:
> - what kind of Prolog is supported? Edinburgh?

Yes.  (Chris Mellish -- co-author of Clocksin & Mellish -- did a lot of
the work on it.)

> - any utilities for natural language processing?
> does it have a DCG compiler ?

What's a DCG compiler?  Grammar rules are part of plain Prolog syntax;
they aren't "compiled" into anything, they *are* Prolog.  Nothing lacking
them has a shadow of a trace of the beginnings of a right to call itself
Edinburgh-compatible.  Yes, PopLog does support DCGs.

It also has other stuff for natural language processing.  There is a
package called ProGram for writing GPSG-style grammars (PopLog comes
from Sussex University; guess where Gazdar is/was).  I haven't had my
hands on that, but the manual was impressive.

> - does anybody know the e-mail address of the company (Integral Solutions
>   from UK)?

	Integral Solutions Ltd,
	Unit 3,
	Campbell Court,
	Bramley,
	Basingstoke,
	Hampshire RG26 5EG

phone:	+44 (256) 882 028
fax:	+44 (256) 882 182
E-mail:	isl@integ.uucp

There is a great deal to be said in PopLog's praise.  You will be
very glad of the academic discount, however.
--
Fear most of all to be in error.	-- Kierkegaard, quoting Socrates.

bozsahin@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Cem Bozsahin) (10/19/90)

In article <4007@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au>, ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
> What's a DCG compiler?  Grammar rules are part of plain Prolog syntax;
> they aren't "compiled" into anything, they *are* Prolog.  Nothing lacking

a DCG compiler compiles clauses. Grammar rules are not exactly Prolog; they
have to be interpreted or compiled by Prolog before they can be
executed. There is a DCG compiler (and an interpreter) in Pereira and
Shieber's book ("Prolog and Natural Language Processing", 1987).

> There is a great deal to be said in PopLog's praise.  You will be
> very glad of the academic discount, however.
It looks like a very impressive package: ML, Lisp, Prolog, Pop-11 all
bundled up. As for academic discount, i thought it was a typo. 85% discount is
bound to lure a lot of people into it.

--
    -- Cem Bozsahin    bozsahin@ace.cs.ohiou.edu

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (10/22/90)

ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

> In article <2170@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>,
>    bozsahin@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Cem Bozsahin) writes:
> > - any utilities for natural language processing?
> > does it have a DCG compiler ?
>
> ....... Nothing lacking
> them has a shadow of a trace of the beginnings of a right to call itself
> Edinburgh-compatible.  Yes, PopLog does support DCGs.
>
> It also has other stuff for natural language processing.  There is a
> package called ProGram for writing GPSG-style grammars (PopLog comes
> from Sussex University; guess where Gazdar is/was).  I haven't had my
> hands on that, but the manual was impressive.

Version 14 will include a "contrib" directory containing free extras
from users, which, among other things will contain all the program
examples from the three books
    Gazdar, G., & C. Mellish
    Natural Language Processing in {POP-11, Lisp, Prolog}
    Addison Wesley, 1989.

> > - does anybody know the e-mail address of the company (Integral Solutions
> >   from UK)?
>
> 	Integral Solutions Ltd,
> 	Unit 3,
> 	Campbell Court,
> 	Bramley,
> 	Basingstoke,
> 	Hampshire RG26 5EG
>
> phone:	+44 (256) 882 028
> fax:	+44 (256) 882 182
> E-mail:	isl@integ.uucp

For people in USA and Canada it may be useful to have the following
contact address:

    Prof Robin Popplestone
    Dept. of Computer and Information Science
    Lederle Graduate Research Center
    University of Massachusetts
    Amherst, MA  01003, USA

or

    Prof Robin Popplestone
    Computable Functions Inc.,
    35 South Orchard Drive,
    Amherst, MA 01002, USA      Phone(413) 253-7637
                                Email pop@cs.umas.edu

Aaron Sloman,
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences,
Univ of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QH, England
    EMAIL   aarons@cogs.sussex.ac.uk