[comp.lang.prolog] Freeware/Shareware Prolog

vinson@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Jack Vinson) (10/17/90)

Hello netland, I haven't been here in a while, so please excuse me
if this has been asked recently.

Is there a decent version of Prolog for the PC and/or Mac on freeware or
shareware?  I am TA-ing a class which is doing prolog at the moment, and
many students are looking for a prolog they can take home with them.

Thanks in advance
This posting is a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Jack Vinson				vinson@linc.cis.upenn.edu

fawcett@unix1.cs.umass.edu (Tom Fawcett) (10/18/90)

In article <31282@netnews.upenn.edu> vinson@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Jack Vinson) writes:

>Is there a decent version of Prolog for the PC and/or Mac on freeware or
>shareware?  I am TA-ing a class which is doing prolog at the moment, and
>many students are looking for a prolog they can take home with them.
>
>Thanks in advance
>This posting is a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

Your request for a shareware Prolog is a symbol of your individuality?
Maybe you've lived in America too long.

Anyway, there is a Prolog called PDPROLOG that runs on IBM PCs.  The low-end
version is public-domain; higher-level versions have increasinly higher costs.
The low end version seems adequate for instructional use.  Last I checked, it
was available via anonymous FTP from wuarchive.wustl.edu from the directory
/mirrors/msdos/prolog.

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (10/19/90)

From article <31282@netnews.upenn.edu>, vinson@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Jack Vinson):
> Is there a decent version of Prolog for the PC and/or Mac on freeware or
> shareware?  I am TA-ing a class which is doing prolog at the moment, and
> many students are looking for a prolog they can take home with them.

    I have enclosed some information from Ken Johnson given in a previous
    posting to this newsgroup.
From: ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Subject: Re: PROLOG interpreter source wanted

In article <669@lucretia.esa.oz> peter@attila.esa.oz (Peter Davison)
writes:

>  Has anybody out there got a PROLOG interpreter source written in C or
>know where I could possibly get my hands on one?

Not in C, but in Pascal: Buy ``Prolog for programmers'' by Feliks
Kluzniak and Stanislaw Szpakiwicz.  Academic Press, 1985.

It contains an IBM-PC diskette with the sources of a simple Prolog
system.

--
Ken Johnson, AI Applications Institute, 80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN
E-mail ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk, phone 031-225 4464 extension 212

fore057@canterbury.ac.nz (10/21/90)

In article <2171@dsac.dla.mil>, ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) writes:
>> Is there a decent version of Prolog for the PC and/or Mac on freeware or
>> shareware?  I am TA-ing a class which is doing prolog at the moment, and
>> many students are looking for a prolog they can take home with them.

I found a public domain interpreter for PC's that conforms to the Clocksin
& Mellish standard, on a bulletin board.  Look for "PDPROLOG".  If you have
trouble finding it, send me a disk and I'll give you a copy.

Regards,
Euan Mason
27 Newnham Tce
Christchurch 4
New Zealand

"I liked your opera.  I think I will put it to music" - Beethoven to a fellow
composer.

meyer@fuhainf2.uucp (Bernd Meyer) (10/22/90)

i have got a public domain version of ADAProlog (i think that was the name -
i cannot look it up here at my office), it is called PDProlog.
full c&m standard. it does it's work, but is rather difficult to handle.
e.g. you can assert new rules *only* by use of assert.
if you want it, please send email. do *not* use the address in the header, but
those in the signature.

tnx.   bernd

Bernd Meyer, LG Praktische Informatik IV, FernUniversitaet Hagen, D-5800 Hagen
Bahnhofstrasse 46/48, FRG, Phone: +49 2331 181677,    ** db6ag@db0sgl **
meyer@fernuni-hagen.de     or    meyer@dhafeu61.bitnet
s=meyer; ou=vax1; ou=informatik; p=fernuni-hagen; a=dbp; c=de