[comp.lang.prolog] Request for Information: Prolog and Graphics

ohara@bucsf.bu.edu (Scott O'Hara) (11/03/90)

Can anyone give me the names of any Prologs on a UNIX or a MacIntosh
system (or any other system for that matter) that has a graphics
interface?  Alternatively, do you know of any Prolog that has a good C
interface which would allow one to to do graphics by calling C
routines?  If you know of several, could you tell me which one you
like best?

Thanks,

- Scott

fore057@canterbury.ac.nz (11/04/90)

In article <OHARA.90Nov2160152@bucsf.bu.edu>, ohara@bucsf.bu.edu (Scott O'Hara) writes:
> Can anyone give me the names of any Prologs on a UNIX or a MacIntosh
> system (or any other system for that matter) that has a graphics
> interface?  Alternatively, do you know of any Prolog that has a good C
> interface which would allow one to to do graphics by calling C
> routines?  If you know of several, could you tell me which one you
> like best?

PDC Prolog has both a very good graphics interface, and excellent compatibility
with C.  On an MS-DOS machine, it uses the Borland Graphics Interface, and
has a very comprehensive range of predicates.  I don't know about versions
for UNIX or a MacIntosh.

Regards,
Euan

lance@embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) (11/05/90)

 In article <OHARA.90Nov2160152@bucsf.bu.edu>, ohara@bucsf.bu.edu (Scott O'Hara) writes:
 > Can anyone give me the names of any Prologs on a UNIX or a MacIntosh
 > system (or any other system for that matter) that has a graphics
 > interface?  Alternatively, do you know of any Prolog that has a good C
 > interface which would allow one to to do graphics by calling C
 > routines?  If you know of several, could you tell me which one you
 > like best?

I have two suggestions.  MacProlog (distributed by Quintas) has very
good graphics support.  Hyperprolog (distributed by Arity) uses a link
to Hypercard to provide a graphical interface.  I've been using
HyperProlog, and been satisfied with its implementation of Prolog, but
for graphics I would go with MacProlog.

amelie@ZYX.SE (Amelie Banks) (11/06/90)

>In article <OHARA.90Nov2160152@bucsf.bu.edu>, ohara@bucsf.bu.edu (Scott O'Hara) writes:
>> Can anyone give me the names of any Prologs on a UNIX or a MacIntosh
>> system (or any other system for that matter) that has a graphics
>> interface?  Alternatively, do you know of any Prolog that has a good C
>> interface which would allow one to to do graphics by calling C
>> routines?  If you know of several, could you tell me which one you
>> like best?
( Sorry can't find the original posting...)

ZYX ProLog is built in C and has a very good C interface, with support
for C datastructures, and for debugging mixed Prolog and C code. The
interface is completely symmetrical, i.e. you can call C from Prolog or
call Prolog from C.

There is also an objectoriented graphics and window interface, (called DiaLog)
interfacing to X-11, with predefined classes for menus, buttons, etc.
You can also define your own classes. Using DiaLog, it's extremely simple to define advanced user interfaces with windows, buttons, menues, different colours, fonts etc. There is also support for graphics.

ZYX ProLog is available on workstations from HP, Apollo, DEC, Sun, and Sony.
The price for one license is US$ 5300, and this includes DiaLog.

-- Amelie Banks
ZYX Sweden AB
Styrmansgatan 6
114 54 Stockholm
--
Amelie Banks
ZYX Sweden AB

fgm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Frank G McCabe) (11/08/90)

In <1990Nov06.120355.13886@ZYX.SE> amelie@ZYX.SE (Amelie Banks) writes:

>>In article <OHARA.90Nov2160152@bucsf.bu.edu>, ohara@bucsf.bu.edu (Scott O'Hara) writes:
>>> Can anyone give me the names of any Prologs on a UNIX or a MacIntosh
>>> system (or any other system for that matter) that has a graphics
>>> interface?  Alternatively, do you know of any Prolog that has a good C
>>> interface which would allow one to to do graphics by calling C
>>> routines?  If you know of several, could you tell me which one you
>>> like best?
>( Sorry can't find the original posting...)

>ZYX ProLog is built in C and has a very good C interface, with support
>for C datastructures, and for debugging mixed Prolog and C code. The
>interface is completely symmetrical, i.e. you can call C from Prolog or
>call Prolog from C.

I dont think any listing of Prologs with graphics is complete without
mentioning MacProlog.  Abailable for the Macintosh it has raised the art
of integrating Prolog with graphics to a new high.

Details available from Quintus or LPA at:
LPA
Studio 4, The Royal Victoria Patriotic Bldg, Trinity Rd, London SW18 3SX
tel: +44 81 871 2016

BTW I am biassed but that doesnt make me wrong!

Frank McCabe

tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (11/09/90)

In article <OHARA.90Nov2160152@bucsf.bu.edu> ohara@bucsf.bu.edu (Scott O'Hara) writes:
>Can anyone give me the names of any Prologs on a UNIX or a MacIntosh
>system (or any other system for that matter) that has a graphics
>interface?  Alternatively, do you know of any Prolog that has a good C
>interface which would allow one to to do graphics by calling C
>routines?

XWIP (X Window Interface for Prolog) is available for FREE via
anonymous FTP from expo.lcs.mit.edu in compressed, TAR format in
contrib/R4/xwip.tar.Z. XWIP provides a low level (Xlib style)
interface to X11 R4 for Quintus compatible Prologs (eg SICStus) by
using C foriegn functions. While not PD, the copyright is not very
restrictive.

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273