[comp.lang.prolog] Good public domain MS/DOS Prologs?

tracy@cbnewsd.att.com (kim.tracy) (11/21/90)

I'm looking for a good public domain prolog for use in teaching my AI
class.  Currently, we're using PD-Prolog which is not sufficient for this
class due to its lack of many basic features (like tracing!).  What I
need is the following:

	a. Run under MS/DOS
	b. Follow Clocksin/Mellish syntax, more or less
	c. Have a sufficient feature set to be able to do some
		interesting projects
	d. Be cheap or free, so that the students can afford it.
	e. Be free of large bugs.

There must be some out there, so please give me a call or send me
e-mail if you know of one.

	Thanks for any help,

	--Kim Tracy, AT&T Bell Laboratories and
	Illinois Institute of Technology
	...att!ihlpa!tracy
	(708) 979-4164

6600dt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (David Goggin) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov20.214924.18056@cbnewsd.att.com> tracy@cbnewsd.att.com (kim.tracy) writes:

>I'm looking for a good public domain prolog for use in teaching my AI
>class.  Currently, we're using PD-Prolog which is not sufficient for this
>class due to its lack of many basic features (like tracing!).  What I
>need is the following:

>	a. Run under MS/DOS
>	b. Follow Clocksin/Mellish syntax, more or less
>	c. Have a sufficient feature set to be able to do some
>		interesting projects
>	d. Be cheap or free, so that the students can afford it.
>	e. Be free of large bugs.
>
>There must be some out there, so please give me a call or send me
>e-mail if you know of one.

     Yes, please tell me if you find any rpologs out
there that match the description, also:

BORALND HAS DISCONTINUED TURBO PROLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that shocking or what??????????????

*dt*
6600dt@ucsbuxa.bitnet

In article <7398@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600dt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (David Goggin) writes:
> In article <1990Nov20.214924.18056@cbnewsd.att.com> tracy@cbnewsd.att.com (kim.tracy) writes:
> >I'm looking for a good public domain prolog for use in teaching my AI
> >class.

ALS Prolog is not free or PD, but the "personal" version for the PC is
pretty cheap.  (If I remember correctly my copy was about AUS$140.)

> > yes	a. Run under MS/DOS
> > yes	b. Follow Clocksin/Mellish syntax, more or less
> > yes	c. Have a sufficient feature set to be able to do some
> >		interesting projects
> > yes	d. Be cheap (yes) or free (no), so that the students can afford it.
> > 	e. Be free of large bugs.
I haven't found any large bugs.  A student came across one case where it
silently failed to compile a clause that was rather complex, but since
listing/1 works on compiled code in ALS Prolog you can check that.  The
way they integrate grammar rules into the system is in my opinion a design
mistake, but it does work as documented.

> BORALND HAS DISCONTINUED TURBO PROLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Is that shocking or what??????????????

It's the best thing that's happened to the Prolog market for a long time.
However, "PDC Prolog" is still on the market, it's no longer Borland that
sell it.

Let me put it this way:  the Turbo Prolog environment has more windows,
but ALS Prolog is less "pane".
--
I am not now and never have been a member of Mensa.		-- Ariadne.

knuutila@tucos.utu.fi (Timo Knuutila) (11/28/90)

In article <4390@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <7398@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600dt@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (David Goggin) writes:
>
>ALS Prolog is not free or PD, but the "personal" version for the PC is
>pretty cheap.  (If I remember correctly my copy was about AUS$140.)

I have been using ALS v1.2 prof. version for about two years now, and
the biggest bug I have found is that the debugger hangs totally
the machine (Ctrl-Alt-Del works) when you give a little 's' over a big loop.
Otherwise, it is a fine product for a small money.

>> BORALND HAS DISCONTINUED TURBO PROLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>It's the best thing that's happened to the Prolog market for a long time.

I totally agree. I hope everyone else does, too.

PS. Does anyone know if there is a later version of ALS (>1.2) available?