[net.movies] Mad max

ksf@security.UUCP (Kieth S. Fung) (09/27/83)

	This question has been bugging me ever since I saw Mad Max starring
Mel Gibson. The same car that he drove at the end of MM he drove in the
sequel The Road Warrior. But what the hell is it? It must have been based on
an existing car ( the "stripped down" versions were driven by all the other
cops in MM), not just made for the movies.
	All I noticed that the caar was a right hand drive one, and there are
damn few automobile makers in the world that still make right hand drive
models.
	BTW I don't want to know what the movie characters say either (the
last of the police 2?9 intercepters). I want to know what the car it was based
on is.
								Keith Fung
								Mitre
								Bedford, Mass

allan@qusavx.UUCP (09/29/83)

Not many car manufacturers make right hand drive cars eh? Hmmm, what about
General Motors
Ford
Volvo
British Layland
Saab
BMW
Porsche
Rolls Royce
Bentley
Datsun
Toyota
Honda
Jeep
Renault
VW
Citroen
Fiat
Mercedes
Morgan
Plus quite a few others. The world doesn't end at the East coast You know.
Allan {decvax,cbosgd,vax135}!qusavx!allan

sammut@uiuccsb.UUCP (09/30/83)

#R:security:-55300:uiuccsb:10000013:000:255
uiuccsb!sammut    Sep 29 19:21:00 1983

The car in Mad Max was a Ford Falcon (now superceded) designed and built
in Australia. Australians drive on the left as in England. The car was
GREATLY modified for the movie. I don't think you could buy something
like that!

Claude Sammut
U. of Illinois

jeh@ritcv.UUCP (James E Heliotis) (10/01/83)

Thanks, Allan, for setting that guy straight about right-hand drive cars.
Let me add that, not only do they drive on the left in Australia, but Japan,
too.

				Jim Heliotis
				{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jeh
				rocksvax!ritcv!jeh
				ritcv!jeh@Rochester

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (04/25/85)

	The movie, Mad Max, as shown on cable, seems to be dubbed into
'American'.  I've seen it on both HBO and the Movie Channel with this
dubbing.  To confirm this, just listen to Mel Gibson's voice in Mad
Max.  Does the movie exist in the US without this dubbing, i.e. with
the original 'Australian' language?  Watching the dubbed Mad Max is
rather grating on the nerves!  They must use the same voices that are
used to dub spaghetti westerns!  Thanks.

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

cherson@fsleng.DEC (04/29/85)

To answer Joe Barone's question regarding the dubbing of MAD MAX, I saw it in
a movie theater, not on cable, and it contained the same idiotic dubbing.

Maybe the distributor thought that American audiences couldn't understand
"Austrailian English"?  In any event it destroyed the movie 100%,  but at
least we know why Max got mad.

				David Cherson

daveb@rtech.ARPA (Dave Brower) (04/30/85)

> Does the movie exist in the US without this dubbing...

No.  It's a reflection on both vagaries of international distribution and
on clout George Miller had at the time of the original release.  Perhaps
you should call Qantas...

G'Day!

--
{amdahl, sun}!rtech!daveb          | "Why do we have to live in boxes?  I hate
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!daveb | boxes."  "Calm down, the 60's are over."

esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) (04/30/85)

> To answer Joe Barone's question regarding the dubbing of MAD MAX, I saw it in
> a movie theater, not on cable, and it contained the same idiotic dubbing.
>
> Maybe the distributor thought that American audiences couldn't understand
> "Austrailian English"?  In any event it destroyed the movie 100%,  but at
> least we know why Max got mad.
> 				David Cherson

I saw `Mad Max' a couple years back with what I believe was the original
soundtrack. While "ausie" isn't all that hard to decipher under good
circumstances, I remember the sound as being very bad in this film. It
probably had a signal-to-noise ratio of maybe 3 dB in spots. I haven't
seen (or heard) the dubbed version, but I wouldn't blame someone re-recording
the dialog in order to make it audible. You don't make much money from
a film you can't understand.

						Michael Esco
						Boeing Aerospace

grl@charm.UUCP (George Lake) (05/01/85)

Do you realize that Mad Max was the first film of a surgeon made
on a shoestring (as I recall less in real dollars than Stranger
Than Paradise).  I think the sound that you "see" is the
sound that there was.

wong@rtech.ARPA (J. Wong) (05/01/85)

> ... regarding the dubbing of MAD MAX ...

A bit of trivia, Mel Gibson was born and raised in the US, moving down under
when he was ~12.  Having seen him in several movies, I can't say that he
has much of an Australian accent at all.
--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again.		- David Byrne

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/07/85)

> From:	dec-fsleng!cherson	(David Cherson)

> To answer Joe Barone's question regarding the dubbing of MAD MAX, I saw it in
> a movie theater, not on cable, and it contained the same idiotic dubbing.
>
> Maybe the distributor thought that American audiences couldn't understand
> "Austrailian English"?  In any event it destroyed the movie 100%,  but at
> least we know why Max got mad.

I wouldn't agree that "it destroyed the movie 100%", but it certainly was
annoying. They didn't even overdub it completely. There are times when I
was sure that I was hearing Mel Gibson's real voice, and other times when
I was sure I wasn't. It all seems so ironic, too, considering that Gibson
was born in the U.S.

The first U.S. distributor for MAD MAX was American International, a firm
that wouldn't know a class act if it came up and bit them on the nose.
After Orion Pictures picked up THE ROAD WARRIOR for distribution, they
bought MAD MAX away from AI. I had hoped beyond hope that Orion would've
gotten fresh prints of MM to distribute, but they apparently just bought
up all of the prints that AI had in its possession and re-circulated those.

Of course, there *is* a way around this mess for anyone who is not adverse
to a great expenditure of effort (let alone money), and really cares enough.
If a videocassette of MAD MAX exists in Japan (which uses NTSC, like us; I
don't know for sure, but Australia *probably* uses PAL) that is subtitled
rather than dubbed into Japanese, it might be possible to get an unadulter-
ated version of the movie. I have no idea how to go about inquiring about it,
but its possible that someone on the net does know. I've heard of some folks
who are fans of Japanese animation and trade material with people in Japan.
That's a possible route.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

myers@utcsri.UUCP (Brad A. Myers) (06/24/85)

I managed to miss all the earlier Mel Gibson movies, but want to go back
and "prepare" for the new one:

Questions:	Is MAD MAX just a remake of Road Warrior?  I.e. is it important
		to see Road Warrior first?

		Is Road Warrior worth seeing even in the dubbed American
		versions?  Is the original version available on videotape for
		rental?  How can I tell the difference from the box?
Thanks,
Brad Myers

giw@allegra.UUCP (Jerry Weil) (06/26/85)

You've got it backwards - Mad Max came first.  It's a much more "human" drama,
and I highly recommend it.

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (06/27/85)

>I managed to miss all the earlier Mel Gibson movies, but want to go back
>and "prepare" for the new one:

>Questions:	Is MAD MAX just a remake of Road Warrior?  I.e. is it important
>		to see Road Warrior first?
>
>		Is Road Warrior worth seeing even in the dubbed American
>		versions?  Is the original version available on videotape for
>		rental?  How can I tell the difference from the box?

      Your questions are all backwards. MAD MAX was made first, and it is the
movie with the dubbed American version. I don't know which version is on video-
tape(if any). You really don't need to see MAD MAX at all; the first two or
three minutes of ROAD WARRIOR has clips from MAD MAX that sums up MAD MAX
pretty much. But if you really want to see both, you should see MAD MAX first.

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (06/27/85)

> 		Is Road Warrior worth seeing even in the dubbed American
> 		versions?                                ^^^^^^

???????  I always thought Australians spoke something similar enough to
English to allow us to understand their movies without dubbing :-)

--
____________________

Michael Lonetto  PHRI  NYC  (allegra!phri!lonetto)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LIFE IS A TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rs55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Robert E. Schleicher) (06/27/85)

> I managed to miss all the earlier Mel Gibson movies, but want to go back
> and "prepare" for the new one:
>
> Questions:	Is MAD MAX just a remake of Road Warrior?  I.e. is it important
> 		to see Road Warrior first?
>
> 		Is Road Warrior worth seeing even in the dubbed American
> 		versions?  Is the original version available on videotape for
> 		rental?  How can I tell the difference from the box?
> Thanks,
> Brad Myers

Mad Max is the earlier film.  You should see it before seeing the Road Warrior
as it provides much more in the way of characterization (of Max), and also
explains a little more about the state of society in the films.  Mad Max
takes place in an environment that is much more similar to the present day
than is the Road Warrior.  In Mad Max, it seems that the nuclear war was
fairly recent, as there was still some semblance of order (ie., the decay to
barbarism was just starting).. The Road Warrior takes place after society
has degenerated to barbarism.

I found Mad Max to be much more gripping, emotionally, due to the very
personal attacks made on Max and his family.  The desire for revenge is
very strong in this film.  The Road Warrior, on the other hand, is a much
more stylish and well-crafted film, but the there is less emotion involved.

Bob Schleicher
ihuxk!rs55611

PS. I wasn't aware there was a dubbed version of the Road Warrior, since
it is Australian.  Are you suggesting that the Australian accents were
deemed to be too hard to understand?
.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (06/29/85)

In article <1202@utcsri.UUCP> myers@utcsri.UUCP (Brad A. Myers) writes:

>Questions:	Is MAD MAX just a remake of Road Warrior?  I.e. is it important
>		to see Road Warrior first?

>		Is Road Warrior worth seeing even in the dubbed American
>		versions?  Is the original version available on videotape for
>		rental?  How can I tell the difference from the box?

Just to clear up what seems to be common confusion:

MAD MAX came first. ROAD WARRIOR is the sequal. After ROAD WARRIOR did
well, they rereleased MAD MAX with American accents dubbed in (this was
a bad idea.) It is still worth seeing, although it lacks something. MAD
MAX was released years ago, so most people forgot about it until ROAD
WARRIOR came out.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (06/29/85)

The next "Mad Max" movie is opening in the L.A. area on 7/14.
Promos have already begun.  Now, will it be in the original language
or redubbed?  That's the question.  (One of the stars is Tina Turner.
Bizarre.)

--Lauren--

kre@ucbvax.ARPA (Robert Elz) (07/02/85)

In article <286@phri.UUCP>, lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) writes:

> ???????  I always thought Australians spoke something similar enough to
> English to allow us to understand their movies without dubbing :-)

You're right, Australians do speak something reasonably similar to
English.  Your conclusion that no dubbing should then be needed
presumes that Americans speak something related to English in some
obscure fashion.  Nothing in my experience would justify that assumption...

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (07/03/85)

 >I managed to miss all the earlier Mel Gibson movies, but
 >want to go back and "prepare" for the new one:
 >
 >Questions:	Is MAD MAX just a remake of Road Warrior?

You are asking valid questions but you have the titles reversed.  MAD
MAX came first and was dubbed.  ROAD WARRIOR is the sequel.  As a start
I rate (on a -4 to +4 scale) MAD MAX a -3 and ROAD WARRIOR a +2.
George Miller seemed to learn a heck of a lot about film making between
the two films.  MM was about the cops and the criminals (it is hard to
tell which is which by the way they act) trying to ride each other down
on the roads.  The story is poor.  The baddies, including someone called
Toecutter, killed Max's partner, his son, his wife, and his little
puppy dog.  Then Max got mad.  The film is for the most part vehicle
from column A hitting vehicle from column B.  I saw it at a sneak
preview (with SATURN 3 which looked good by comparison) and I couldn't
believe anyone would ever release the film.  A month later they did.

I couldn't believe when ROAD WARRIOR was getting good reviews and went
in very skeptical.  Miller had told a somewhat different story with wit
and style.  It is a solid action film with genuine characters.  The
copter pilot and the feral child are remarkable portraits.  Also really
impressive is the opening done on a narrow screen.  Then you see a view
of speed down a road from about a foot above the road.  All of a sudden
Miller goes to wide-screen.  It is an impressive effect unfortunately
lost on the tv screen.

 >I.e.  is it important to see Road Warrior [MAD MAX] first?

It might be important not to see MAD MAX at all!m :-)

 >Is Road Warrior [MAD MAX]
 >worth seeing even in the dubbed American versions?

Hard to believe it would make much difference.

 >Is the original version available on videotape for rental?

No idea, but I doubt it.

 >How can I tell the difference from the box?

You probably can't, but I doubt the undubbed version is available here
at all.  It probably has very thick accents us Americans wouldn't
understand.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/04/85)

> > 		Is Road Warrior worth seeing even in the dubbed American
> > 		versions?                                ^^^^^^
>
> ???????  I always thought Australians spoke something similar enough to
> English to allow us to understand their movies without dubbing :-)
>
> Michael Lonetto  PHRI  NYC  (allegra!phri!lonetto)

Heck, I can't even understand some New Yorkers without an interpreter.