[comp.lang.prolog] Need debugging reference

citrin@csn.org (Wayne V. Citrin) (01/22/91)

Which paper first proposed the common Prolog debugging paradigm (procedures
as 'boxes', and each box having four 'ports': CALL, EXIT, REDO, and FAIL)
that most Prolog systems offer?

Wayne

--

Wayne Citrin
citrin@soglio.colorado.edu

mmh@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matthew Huntbach) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.230001.12890@csn.org> citrin@csn.org (Wayne V. Citrin) writes:
>Which paper first proposed the common Prolog debugging paradigm (procedures
>as 'boxes', and each box having four 'ports': CALL, EXIT, REDO, and FAIL)
>that most Prolog systems offer?

I think the following is the earliest reference:

[Byrd 80].
  L.Byrd.
  Understanding the control flow of Prolog programs.
  In Proc. Logic Programming Workshop 1980,
  Debrecen, Hungary ed. S-A.Tarnlund.

Hence the boxes are sometimes referred to as "Byrd boxes".

Matthew Huntbach