[comp.lang.prolog] Arity/Prolog & DOS 4.X?

bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) (01/27/91)

In article <11137@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>I found much to my dismay that Arity/Prolog 5.1 does *NOT* work under
>MSDOS 4.0 (although it works fine under MSDOS 3.3).

???  Arity 5.1 runs just fine under DOS 4.01.  You have toset kbdriver=no in
the environment file so Arity will speak to the keyboard properly.  Now, mind
you, as far as I know this is an undocumented bit of trivia; I had to call
Arity tech. support to find out just what was wrong.  I'd suggest you do the
same, if for no other reason that to let them know that it's a little absurd
for their product not to work with DOS 4.01 without playing silly games.

For that matter, it's absurd for them to limit you to 64k stack space--I'm
looking forward to LPA's 386-Prolog.

 Bradley L. Richards             The advantage of experience is that we
 bradley@cs.utexas.edu           recognize our mistakes when we repeat them.
 uucp:  cs.utexas.edu!bradley

own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) (01/30/91)

In article <11137@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>I found much to my dismay that Arity/Prolog 5.1 does *NOT* work under
>MSDOS 4.0 (although it works fine under MSDOS 3.3).

It works if you specify the /K parameter with your DEVICE=ANSI.SYS
statement in the CONFIG.SYS file (ie: DEVIVE=ANSI.SYS/K)

>Does anyone know if Arity/Prolog 6.0 works under MSDOS 4.01? I awaiting
>delivery of both my A/P 6.0 update and a brand new 33MHz 386 box. And it
>just occurred to me that I ordered the 386 box with MSDOS 4.01 so I could
>have a single 200MB hard disk partition. It didn't occur to me to ask
>Arity if their new Prolog worked under MSDOS 4.01.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the version 6, particularly
if you've got the Windows toolkit.  Specifically, is there still a 64k
limit to the size of stacks (global,local,trail,...) or can these be set
to higher levels?

Olly  Morgan
 Olly Morgan @ Scottish Agricultural College,  Edinburgh EH9 2HH, Scotland
               Tel: (+44 31) 662 4395          E.Mail: O.Morgan@ed.ac.uk

todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (02/03/91)

In article <11204@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>In article <8144@castle.ed.ac.uk> own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) writes:
>>In article <11137@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>>>I found much to my dismay that Arity/Prolog 5.1 does *NOT* work under
>>>MSDOS 4.0 (although it works fine under MSDOS 3.3).
>>It works if you specify the /K parameter with your DEVICE=ANSI.SYS
>>statement in the CONFIG.SYS file (ie: DEVIVE=ANSI.SYS/K)

I received my Gateway 2000 33MHz 386 running MS-DOS 4.01 yesterday and
was able to test out the suggestions offered on here (thanks to all!).

My problem was that Arity Prolog 5.1 Interpreter locked up whenever I tried
to run it on a machine using MS or PC-DOS 4.0x. Several people suggested
using the ANSI.SYS /K parameter. This parameter, the DOS documentation
says, turns off extended keyboard functions on an enhanced keyboard. While
this allowed me to get a 'little' further in using API, it still caused
lock ups under certain conditions.

One person suggested placing the line

	kbdriver=no

in an ENV file (API.ENV for the interpter). This suggestion to use this
undocumented Arity environmental variable worked just fine for me.

Thanks to all for the help. Now, I can at least use Arity Prolog 5.1 on my
new machine until 6.0 appears....todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhunix!todd