[comp.lang.prolog] Arity's so-called upgrade

todd@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (03/05/91)

I recently received my Arity Prolog 6.0 for MS-DOS and was outraged by what
Arity has foisted on its customers as a $127 (including shipping) upgrade.
What was advertised as a major upgrade from version 5.1 is merely a
maintenance release with a few cosmetic changes (very few and minor).

The worst of it, from my point of view, is the 18 pages of documentation
changes which is simply provided as a README file with references to the
page number where the corrections should be applied. It should be noted
that these corrections are in addition to numerous other corrections to the
5.0 manual that had to be made when it was released.

If I were to actually take the time to pen in all the corrections (which is
ludicrous), it would have to be on top of some the corrections that I
actually did pen in when 5.0 was released. Arity's refusal to provide new
documentation in the face of the fact that the manual that came with 5.0 is
now hopelessly out of date with their current product is outrageous. This
says nothing of the fact that the Arity 5.0 manual was poorly written and
error-ridden to an unbelievable level to begin with. I wrote and mailed a
reasonably toned letter of dissatisfaction to Meredith Bartlett (VP of
Marketting at Arity) two days before I learned that I was not going to get
any new manuals (which I hoped would clear up a few changes they made to
some proprietary predicates). Now, that I know I am not getting any new
documentation, I am outraged at what they have sold to me under what I
consider "false pretenses."

If any one else is similarly outraged at Arity, please write a letter to
them and say so. If anyone is interested in sending a group letter, please
let me know and I will coordinate such an effort. I am going to wait for a
response to all the questions I posed in my first three page letter to
Meredith before drafting a stronger letter of complaint.

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhunix!todd

weiss@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Paul G. Weiss) (03/14/91)

This forum is not and should not become a substitute for direct
communication with Prolog vendors regarding product features and
technical support.  Arity has always welcomed suggestions and
complaints from its customers in order to be better able to
serve them.  Indeed, our current version, version 6.00,
incorporates several features suggested by our users.

Arity is very proud of the latest release and the response from
users has been favorable.  For criticism, inquiries, complaints,
praise, or anything else we may be reached directly by any of
the following means:

Telephone:	(508) 371-1243		(9am - 5pm Eastern Time)
Fax:		(508) 371-1487
BBS:		(508) 369-5622
US Mail:	Arity Corporation
		29 Domino Drive
		Concord, MA 01742

weiss@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Paul G. Weiss) (03/14/91)

This forum is not and should not become a substitute for direct
communication with Prolog vendors regarding product features and
technical support.  Arity has always welcomed suggestions and
complaints from its customers in order to be better able to
serve them.  Indeed, our current version, version 6.00,
incorporates several features suggested by our users.

Arity is very proud of the latest release and the response from
users has been favorable.  For criticism, inquiries, complaints,
praise, or anything else we may be reached directly by any of
the following means:

Telephone:	(508) 371-1243		(9am - 5pm Eastern Time)
Fax:		(508) 371-1487
BBS:		(508) 369-5622
US Mail:	Arity Corporation
		29 Domino Drive
		Concord, MA 01742

-Paul Weiss
-Arity

pukite@vz.acs.umn.edu (J. PUKITE) (03/14/91)

In article <WEISS.91Mar13134309@toucan.lcs.mit.edu>, weiss@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Paul G. Weiss) writes...

>This forum is not and should not become a substitute for direct
>communication with Prolog vendors regarding product features and
>technical support.  Arity has always welcomed suggestions and
>complaints from its customers in order to be better able to
>serve them.  Indeed, our current version, version 6.00,
>incorporates several features suggested by our users.

1) I strongly disagree with the view expressed above.  This should be
an open forum to discuss both problems and successes with different
software packages.  Software peddlers should not be able to dictate
the specific topics open for discussion.

2) We are not hard of reading.  There is no need to repeat the same
message twice (2244 and 2245).  It does not make it any more believable.

3) The questions raised in article 2225 were not answered in either of the
above messages.

4) The sender of the above messages is identified as Lucifer Maleficius.
Would you buy your software from him?

J. Pukite
pukite@vz.acs.umn.edu

dowding@ai.sri.com (John Dowding) (03/14/91)

In article <WEISS.91Mar13133515@toucan.lcs.mit.edu> weiss@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Paul G. Weiss) writes:

   This forum is not and should not become a substitute for direct
   communication with Prolog vendors regarding product features and
   technical support.

I think that it is well within the charter of this newsgroup to report
bugs and significant complaints about the major Prolog products.
Whether a new user is considering a software purchase, or an
experienced programmer is tracking down problems with their current
implementation, knowledge of known bugs and major shortcomings would
be extremely helpful.  Since it is not the policy of vendors to
publish this information (nor is it necessarily in their best
interest), this newsgroup can be an excellent source for that sort
of knowledge.

John Dowding
dowding@ai.sri.com

In article <DOWDING.91Mar13174830@palm.ai.sri.com>, dowding@ai.sri.com (John Dowding) writes:
> In article <WEISS.91Mar13133515@toucan.lcs.mit.edu> weiss@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Paul G. Weiss) writes:

>    This forum is not and should not become a substitute for direct
>    communication with Prolog vendors regarding product features and
>    technical support.

> I think that it is well within the charter of this newsgroup to report
> bugs and significant complaints about the major Prolog products.

I would certainly agree that it is appropriate to complain here if you
are having trouble with a company.  But the *FIRST* place to go with a
bug report is the company responsible.  Yes, let's have people telling
each other about the problems they are having, but be fair to yourself,
go to the company FIRST.  When I was working at Quintus, I found that
some people posting bug reports about QP here not only hadn't seen fit
to tell Quintus (despite QP printing out the phone number every time),
they were at a site that had a fully-paid-up maintenance contract!  So
DO send bug reports *FIRST* to the vendor, you may already have paid
for service, and you may get help even if you haven't paid.

> Whether a new user is considering a software purchase, or an
> experienced programmer is tracking down problems with their current
> implementation, knowledge of known bugs and major shortcomings would
> be extremely helpful.

Again, it is worth going to the vendor FIRST.  If you go to the net
you will get some mix of (accurate information, ravings from idiots,
disinformation from other vendors).  If the vendor refuses to give
you the information you need, then fall back on the net as an act of
desperation.  If a new user is considering a purchase, some companies
have lists of customers who are willing to tell other people about
their experience with the product, so again it is worth going to the
vendor first.

--
The purpose of advertising is to destroy the freedom of the market.

todd@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (03/15/91)

In article <WEISS.91Mar13134309@toucan.lcs.mit.edu> weiss@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Paul G. Weiss) writes:
>This forum is not and should not become a substitute for direct
>communication with Prolog vendors regarding product features and
>technical support.  Arity has always welcomed suggestions and

First, I want to say that I am the person who posted the original message.
I also want to say that I've communicated with Paul a few times years ago
and found him to be very cordial and helpful. So, I hope everyone
understands that what I say here or elsewhere about Paul or Arity is never
intended to be a flame. Rather, it is intended to be information (good, bad
or otherwise) from a long time paying customer (I've been using Arity since
version 3.2 which was released in 1984) to other current and potential
Arity customers.

Next, I want to say that I disagree with Paul about this... I hope he
noticed the following lines from my original message.  (I wrote in my