[comp.lang.prolog] tools for menu-implementation in prolog?

ntgo@cs.vu.nl (Go Benjamin N T) (04/02/91)

I want to implement an user-interface in Prolog 1.5 . One aspect
Is the menu-paradigma. Only once I have heard the words Prolog and
menu together. It was an article about menu-based-natural-language
using Definite Clause Grammar. So I do not know whether tools
for menu implementation are available.

If you know something about it? If you know something you like to tell
about, send me a message.

Please send your mail to ntgo@cs.vu.nl.

Benjamin Go, Free University of Amsterdam.

imlah@canon.co.uk (Bill Imlah) (04/04/91)

ntgo@cs.vu.nl (Go Benjamin N T) writes:

>I want to implement an user-interface in Prolog 1.5 . One aspect
>Is the menu-paradigma. Only once I have heard the words Prolog and
>menu together. It was an article about menu-based-natural-language
>using Definite Clause Grammar. So I do not know whether tools
>for menu implementation are available.

For PC/MS-DOS there is Quintec Prolog (previously marketed as SD-Prolog)
which has a set of menu & windowing routines supplied as source code.

For SUN/UNIX I know of BIMprolog's Carmen tool, a wysiwyg graphical editor
that generates Prolog, C or Ada code for a sunview or xview interface.

I don't know about graphics tools for Macintosh prologs, but I'd like
to.  Does anyone else know which Mac prologs have good graphics tools?

Bill Imlah                             imlah@canon.co.uk
Canon Research Centre Europe,  17/20 Frederick Sanger Rd.
The Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5YD, UK.
    - menu-based natural language: is that an oxymoron?

Dyslexic Disclaimer: the opinions typed by my fingers are
                      not necessarily those held by my brain.

mark@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de (Mark Johnson) (04/06/91)

Regarding interfaces available in Mac prologs:

LPA and BNR prolog's both give you the ability to do things like
add new menus, and attach goals as event-handlers to menus and
windows (to handle redraw requests, mouse-clicks, etc.).

AAIS and ALS prolog give you the ability to handle the Mac event
loop yourself and call the Mac toolbox.  This lets your program
create and maintain windows, menus, etc., while it is running,
but once your program returns to the top-level, I just don't know
what these systems do with events for the menus and windows you
have created.

While I haven't spent too much time building user interfaces
with any of these systems (I like to believe I have better
things to do with my time!) I get the feeling that none of
them are as well thought-out and implemented as the
Mac interface provided by MACL Commonlisp system.

All in all, I think that there's room for a lot of improvement
in Prologs for the Mac, and that anyone wanting to see how
event handling and user interfaces (at least on a Mac) are
properly implemented in a higher-level language should study the
MACL implementation very carefully.  As I think ROK says,
"Prolog's different, but it's not that different!".

Mark

Mark Johnson
Institut fuer maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung - Computerlinguistik
Universitaet Stuttgart
Keplerstrasse 17
D-7000 Stuttgart 1
Germany.

phone: 0711 - 121 3132.

On leave until mid July 1991 from:

Cognitive and Linguistic Sciences, Box 1978
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912
USA

email addresses: