[comp.lang.prolog] Speed of Prologs

ksh@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Kish Shen) (04/03/91)

The posting about BIM-Prolog being the fastest Prolog leads me to the following
question:

Does anyone have any feel how the speed of BIM-Prolog compare with some of the
other native code Prologs? I am specifically thinking of SICStus Prolog, which
I use (Sun3 and Sun4 native code [industrial version]), and ALS Prolog, which I
have not used. I am interested especially in comparisons between large
programs.

--Kish Shen
  Computer Lab.,
  University of Cambridge
  U.K.
  ksh@cl.cam.ac.uk

jm@sics.se (Johan Montelius) (04/04/91)

A word of warning if you want to compare speed of Prolog systems.

Prolog systems can have different opinion of 'runtime' . I think that
Quintus include GC time in runtime where'as SICStus does not. Also there
might be differencies in what time that is used, user-time (time
executing in user-mode only) or user-time + system-time (including
time executing in kernel mode). I know that SICStus and Sepia (as
described in the manual) uses user-time only.

--
Johan Montelius
SICS, PO Box 1263, S-164 28 Kista, Sweden.

ben@sunbim.UUCP (Ben Rabau) (04/12/91)

In-Reply-To jm@sics.se's message of 4 Apr 91

	> A word of warnings if you want to compare speed of Prolog systems.

As a completion of this warning :
   "Prolog by BIM" (yes, that's the new name) includes GC time in the "runtime",
   which is called the cputime. It also includes the user+system time.

BIM, Kwikstraat 4, B-3078 Everberg, Belgium
Phone: (+32) 2 759 59 25	Fax: (+32) 2 759 92 09 	 e-mail: dani@sunbim.be

ben@sunbim.UUCP (Ben Rabau) (04/16/91)

In correction of my previous message :

	The time calculated in cputime of ProLog by BIM does
	NOT include UNIX system-time.

It does include the time spent in Garbage collection and table extension.
It is also possible to retrieve the time spent in garbage collection
and table expansion.

My apologies for any misunderstanding this might have caused.

Ben Rabau
Customer Support