[comp.lang.prolog] Parlog references

frans@origin.nl (04/26/91)

Does anybody have some references of articles or books about Parlog ?

We are wondering how Parlog handles updates: what happens if two rules
that get executed in parallel both contain an assert of the same predicate ?

Thanks,

Francois Staes
Origin/Technology Support
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

clin@eng.umd.edu (Charles Chien-Hong Lin) (05/09/91)

In article <1404@phcisa.UUCP>, frans@origin.nl writes:
> Does anybody have some references of articles or books about Parlog ?
>
> We are wondering how Parlog handles updates: what happens if two rules
> that get executed in parallel both contain an assert of the same predicate ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Francois Staes
> Origin/Technology Support
> Eindhoven, The Netherlands

   While not entirely familiar with PARLOG, I have seen two books
on the subject.  One is by Tom Conlon.  It's an introduction
to the language and would probably not be too useful.  The other
is by Steve Gregory who helped develop the language.  It may
contain more information.  I just know the authors, not the titles.
So I can't be of much further help.

-----------------------------------
clin   -- Just workin on a sig
-----------------------------------

ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.063445.9755@eng.umd.edu> clin@eng.umd.edu (Charles Chien-Hong Lin) writes:

>> Does anybody have some references of articles or books about Parlog ?

Conlon, T: Programming in Parlog. Addison Wesley, 1989. ISBN 0 201 17450 2

Gregory, S: Parallel logic programming in Parlog, the language and its
implementation.  Addison Wesley.  (?ISBN)

Shapiro E (Ed) 1988: Concurrent Prolog, collected papers.  MIT Press.
(?ISBN)

clin@eng.umd.edu (Charles Chien-Hong Lin) (05/25/91)

In article <4672@skye.ed.ac.uk>, ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) writes:
> In article <1991May9.063445.9755@eng.umd.edu> clin@eng.umd.edu (Charles Chien-Hong Lin) writes:
>
> >> Does anybody have some references of articles or books about Parlog ?
>
> Conlon, T: Programming in Parlog. Addison Wesley, 1989. ISBN 0 201 17450 2
>
> Gregory, S: Parallel logic programming in Parlog, the language and its
> implementation.  Addison Wesley.  (?ISBN)
>
> Shapiro E (Ed) 1988: Concurrent Prolog, collected papers.  MIT Press.
> (?ISBN)

   Actually, I didn't write the message above, but was replying to
someone who did.  I, in fact, own Conlon's book.  It's a fairly
easy to read book that assumes some background in CS (no more
than an intro course, however).  S. Gregory's book appears to
be more towards implementation as the title suggest, so it's not
so easy to read unless you're more familiar with languages (I'm
not).  Concurrent Prolog is not specifically on PARLOG, but
makes references to it.  I think Shapiro claims some superiority
of his version of parallel Prolog over Gregory's, though
I read in Conlon that Gregory's version was further along.  Since
the book is some two years old (Conlon's), I really do not
know the current status.
   Now for a question of my own.  What is the status of parallel
Prolog (an implementation)?  Has any one come to be the standard
(I doubt it, it seems still under development)?  Is it in any
kind of wide use or is it still mainly used by the folks who
developped?  How effectiveis the parallelism?

   Just a novice asking some questions.

--
   ____         _
  /    |     __|_|       clin@eng.umd.edu
 |  harles    |  in      "University of Maryland Institute of Technology"
 |          _|
  \_____/  |_|\___/

hawley@icot31.icot.or.jp (David John Hawley) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May25.040834.9916@eng.umd.edu> clin@eng.umd.edu (Charles Chien-Hong Lin) writes:
>   Now for a question of my own.  What is the status of parallel
>Prolog (an implementation)?  Has any one come to be the standard
>(I doubt it, it seems still under development)?  Is it in any
>kind of wide use or is it still mainly used by the folks who
>developped?  How effectiveis the parallelism?

There are several kinds of "parallel prolog", and lots of variations within
the same group.  The two main groups are

	1)  Parallel implementations that more-or-less preserve Prolog
	    semantics.

	    Aurora and Muse are two examples of OR-parallel systems.
	    I am not very aware of the status of systems that exploit both
	    AND and OR parallelism systems.

	2)  Concurrent logic languages - AND-parallel languages with
	    a commit operator (bidirectional cut) in every clause,
	    separating a number of builtin subgoals (the guard) from the
	    the rest of the clause's subgoals (the body).

	    CP, Strand, and ICOT's KL1 are examples.

The list of systems I mentioned is by no means exhaustive.

The systems I quoted have parallel implementations.  Strand88 is being sold.
KL1 is being used, *apparently on a research basis*, by universities and other
research labs in Japan and elsewhere.  I don't know about the others.

--
Location: 4th-lab, ICOT, 1-4-28 Mita, Minato-ku Tokyo 108 JAPAN.
EMail: hawley@icot.or.jp, hawley@icot.jp@relay.cs.net,