[net.movies] Observations on "Back to the Future

gm@trsvax (07/04/85)

		Some random observations on "Back to the Future"
			       (non-spoiler)

As everyone has said, or soon will be saying, BttF is sure to be one of
the summer's biggest hits. I just wanted to point out a few commercial
additions to the film to tie it in with "the choice of a new generation"
(choice of slogans intended). Pepsico must have invested quite a bit of
money in this film in order to have a bit of obvious and not so obvious
plugs. Pepsi references are scattered throughout the movie:

	o In two seperate scenes, there are close-up shots of Marty's
	  alarm clock on the head of his bed. Sitting very close by and
	  always in the shot is an empty Pepsi-Free can.
	o When he goes into the bar/maltshop for the first time, he orders
	  a Tab, then a Pepsi-Free.
	o When hanging around a gas station, Marty buys a soft-drink and has
	  trouble opening it, expecting the top to screw-off. But it is one
	  of the old type you have to use a bottle-opener on. The drink, of
	  course, is a Pepsi.
	o In the "Enchantment Under The Sea" dance, the band's speakers are
	  supported by (upside-down) Pepsi crates.

It seems Miller beer had a hand in the movie too (does anyone know if Pepsico
by any chance owns Miller beer? I wouldn't be surprised.)

	o When walking through the town in 1955 for the first time, he passes
	  in front of a large old-style bright red Miller beer truck.
	o When the Doc wishes to recharge "Mr. Fusion", he pours some left over
	  Miller beer into it.
	o I wasn't paying that close of attention, but I bet that the drink
	  Biff graps from the MacFly's refrigerator when he raids it was a
	  Miller beer.

There seems to be a big tie-in with "Huey Louis and the News" for songs
and other things:

	o Huey Louis sings two songs in the movie; "The Power of Love"
	  (currently a Top-40 hit) and some other song about time travel.
	o Huey Louis actually appears in the movie as one of the judges
	  during the audition for Marty's band. He is the one second from
	  the left wearing glasses and has the "Your band is too loud" lines.
	o The song that Marty's band plays for the audition seems to be a
	  bad version of "The Power of Love".
	o One the wall in Marty's bedroom (just next to the bed), is a
	  "Sports" poster with a picture of Huey Louis and the News on it.
	  ("Sports" is the name of HLatN previous platinum selling album).

The comment that someone once made about how a "British automoblie usually
can't make it across a parking lot without a major engine failure" applies
to this movie. (You'll understand once you've seen it).

One last thing. There is a scene where the local Toyota dealership is
shipping in a new '85 Toyota 4x4 pickup into town and Marty looks at and
says "Someday...". Someday... is the line that Datsun/Nissan always use
in their commercials. A mistake, or a small yuck?

That's it for now. If you haven't gone to see it yet, try to spot some other
tie-ins also.

		"Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan told me that if I don't
 		ask Lorraine out to the dance, he would melt my brain."
						------------
						George Moore (gm@trsvax)

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (07/09/85)

> 				Pepsico must have invested quite a bit of
> money in this film in order to have a bit of obvious and not so obvious
> plugs. Pepsi references are scattered throughout the movie:
>
> 	o In two seperate scenes, there are close-up shots of Marty's
> 	  alarm clock on the head of his bed. Sitting very close by and
> 	  always in the shot is an empty Pepsi-Free can.
> 	o When he goes into the bar/maltshop for the first time, he orders
> 	  a Tab, then a Pepsi-Free.

Perhaps Pepsi did invest some bucks in the film but no other softdrink names
could have provided the jokes used in the maltshop.  Marty wanted a Tab (you
know a tab as in check, bill, etc.).  Tab wasn't around in 1955 (or was it?)
so the clerk thought Marty wanted his check.  Remember the clerk saying "I'll
give you a tab once you order something."  Then Marty said never mind give me
a Pepsi-Free.  Now I know Pepsi-Free wasn't around in 1955 so the clerk thought
Marty wanted a free Pepsi.  I guess Marty could have asked for an old Coke then
but the clerk would have probably thrown him out:-).

> 						George Moore (gm@trsvax)

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (07/11/85)

Re observations of commercial tie ins in _Back to the Future_ :

I recally hearing a piece on _All Things Considered_ about the marketing
of these product references. The interviewer talked to someone from the
national rasin council (or something similar) about how much they paid to
get a big rasin eating scene in BTTF, and my sister saw a similar reference
to this fact in an advertizing trade magazine.  However, neither of us
can remember such a scene.  (We noticed the pepsi plugs)
I wonder if the council will get their money back, or if their efforts
will be fruitless and shrivel up ?

			Or is it just sour grapes?
			Ted Nolan ..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                   ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted  (UUCP)
6536 Brookside Circle       ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206          allegra!usceast!ted@seismo (ARPA, maybe)

      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")

In article <556@rduxb.UUCP> jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) writes:
>> 				Pepsico must have invested quite a bit of
>> money in this film in order to have a bit of obvious and not so obvious
>> plugs. Pepsi references are scattered throughout the movie:

This movie is full of little references, especially internal ones.  My
favorite is the name of the mall on Marty's second trip there (you have to
watch closely for this one).

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

   "You mean to tell me that you built a time machine-- out of a DeLorean?!"

   "Well I figured, if you're going to build a time machine into a car,
    you might as well do it with some style."