[net.movies] Some Heavy Questions about Prizzi's Honor

cher@ihlpm.UUCP (cherepov) (07/05/85)

--

After seeing final scene of PH  I decided that Turner's role
was a clone of her Body Heat role: ruthless woman using sex

Some of corroborating evidence:
- Her love to Nich's character is incredibly hard to believe
  (especially in canary jacket scene!)
- She keeps lying to him about money and her living with her
  husband(?). That creates impression that she's after money only
  and somehow wants to use old Charley.
- She decided that Charley's "100% OK" in the end means death
  knell, but did not get away immediately (or at least stay out
  of her apt).
- Most importantly - she could not have full assurance that
  Nich was going to kill her off - yet she did not even attempt
  to ask questions (at gunpoint?). She goes in and pulls trigger
  right away thus giving reason to think that she does not care
  shit for old C. Quite a contrast with loving eyes for canary
  jacket.

The above strongly suggests that Turner's character is after
money only. Of course, there are many signs to the contrary:
how would she know C. can deliver, change of facial expressions
during last phone conversation...

I am lost. My interpretation is less plausible, true, but how
can all these thing allow one to unequivocally determine
scrptwriters intentions?  Comments anyone?
			Mike Cherepov

ekp@mcnc.UUCP (Edward Pavelchek) (07/12/85)

           ***yes, SPOILER ***
In article <339@ihlpm.UUCP> cher@ihlpm.UUCP (cherepov) writes:

>After seeing final scene of PH  I decided that Turner's role
>was a clone of her Body Heat role: ruthless woman using sex
>to ... (but this time not getting away with it).
>
>- Her love to Nich's character is incredibly hard to believe
>  (especially in canary jacket scene!)

Sure is.  Beautiful, well dressed self assured contract killer falls for
45 yr old potbellied dropout!! Affection, maybe as in cute dog.

>- She keeps lying to him about money and her living with her
>  husband(?). That creates impression that she's after money only
>  and somehow wants to use old Charley.

I didn't feel that money was the object, I didn't get any strong feel
for what purpose she had.  In retrospect, I would venture she was
looking to cement her future in chosen profession.

>- She decided that Charley's "100% OK" in the end means death
>  knell, but did not get away immediately (or at least stay out
>  of her apt).
>- Most importantly - she could not have full assurance that
>  Nich was going to kill her off - yet she did not even attempt
>  to ask questions (at gunpoint?). She goes in and pulls trigger
>  right away thus giving reason to think that she does not care
>  shit for old C. Quite a contrast with loving eyes for canary
>  jacket.

No, this is the best dramatic  part of the film.  Charley warns her
of contract by heaping bonuses on deal (I thought he was showing a rare
piece of initiative, deliberately telling her).  By this time she has
fafllen in love with Charley, and hopes he will go away with her, so she
leaves note and stays in apt against better judgement.  When he arrives
and doesn't immediately say 'I've got my passport, let's split', she
figures jig is up.
>			Mike Cherepov

The terribly weak part is the extortion from the Prizzis.  Once the
banker is returned, what leverage does Charley have to prevent
bullet-brain?  He is NOT a Prizzi, he does not show charisma, we see no
serious contacts except with his father (also not a Prizzi), and while
he may have more sense than other potential leaders, he has never
demonstrated any initiative.  The don should not want him as a leader,
and Charley has no other power base.
					 Ed Pavelchek

"A day without the net is like a day without work"

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear) (07/15/85)

I thought that the ending could have been done better.  There were numerous
alternatives to Charlie besides having to kill his wife.  For example,
someone else could have taken the fall.  This would have required a somewhat
different ending to deal with the loss of excitement.

					eliot
--
uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]