[comp.lang.ada] General Ada questions

Felton.pa@XEROX.COM.UUCP (03/31/87)

	Here are a few quick questions for you Ada programmers out there.

	Does Ada support...

	Procedures passed as parameters?
	Return of multiple values from procedures?
	Automatic dereferencing of pointers?
	Monitors?
	Dynamically allocated arrays with length determined at run time?
	Programmer definable machine representation of data structures?
        (i.e. specifying which bits are used to hold a given field of a record.)

Thanks,
John

firth@sei.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <870331-091247-2425@Xerox> Felton.pa@XEROX.COM writes:

>	Here are a few quick questions for you Ada programmers out there.
>
>	Does Ada support...
>
>	Procedures passed as parameters?
>	Return of multiple values from procedures?
>	Automatic dereferencing of pointers?
>	Monitors?
>	Dynamically allocated arrays with length determined at run time?
>	Programmer definable machine representation of data structures?
>        (i.e. specifying which bits are used to hold a given field of a record.)
>

>Thanks,
>John

Answers to these and many other questions can be found in

	Reference manual for the Ada programming language

(Mil-Std-1815a).  Why should we do your hack work?

Felton.pa@XEROX.COM.UUCP (04/06/87)

Re: "Why should we do your hack work?"

Robert,

	Thanks for participating in the free exchange of ideas on the Ada DL.
I'm sure that you are as pleasant in person as you come across over the
net.

John

p.s. I would like to thank all of the people who responded with
information about the questions that I asked. Your knowledge and
personal observations about these aspects of Ada have been most helpful.

LINNIG@ti-eg.CSNET.UUCP (04/06/87)

Does Ada support...

Procedures passed as parameters?    NO
Return of multiple values from procedures?   YES
Automatic dereferencing of pointers? HUH
Monitors?  YES -- IF YOU PROGRAM IT RIGHT
Dynamically allocated arrays with length determined at run time? YES
Programmer definable machine representation of data structures? YES

	Mike