[comp.lang.ada] Ada tutorial textbook recommendations solicited

carterc@msudoc.ee.mich-state.edu (Chris Carter) (08/03/87)

I'm an undergraduate CPS major entering my last year.  Since MSU doesn't
teach Ada, I'd like to learn it on my own.  I'd like recommendations for
Ada tutorial textbooks (I know Pascal well and have a working knowledge
of C), and, if possible, shareware or PD Ada compilers/interpreters ( I
ask this last bit because I seem to remember seeing one somewhere). Email
to me, and I'll post a summary.  I apologize for asking a question which
has undobutedly been asked many times before, but I've only been on the
net for a couple of months.

Disclaimer:
   It is not University policy to allow undergraduates to have opinions.
Therefore, anything in this article resembling an opinion is not the
fault of the University.

Chris Carter                       UUCP:    ihnp4!msudoc!carterc
Michigan State University          Arpanet: carterc@msudoc.egr.msu.edu
(517) 353-3255                     Bitnet:  17158CC@MSU

GXP2F@UOTTAWA.BITNET (george) (08/05/87)

Chris Carter: I find J. Barnes' book "Programming in Ada" to be an
excellent book for starters. If you're interested in parallel programming
look for "Parallel Programming in ANSI Standard Ada", G.W. Cherry (a
very good book with interesting examples).
  As for PD software, I signed up to an Ada Software Repository at
SIMTEL20.ARPA only a couple days ago. I'm thrilled with what I see so
far, I haven't had time to get stuff from them. Some of the software
they have is AI s/w, dev tools, debuggers, editors, educational stuff,
graphic kernel stuff, math, etc etc --- the list is quite long. Send
mail to RCONN (rick conn) at simtel20.arpa and ask to join the Ada
Software Repository. In the meantime, if you find any more of these
repositories, let me know (I'm looking for more). Also, I've heard of
a PD Ada compiler which the DoD funded but I don't know where to find
it, if its available yet.
... George Popadich, student

blackje%sungod.tcpip@GE-CRD.ARPA (08/05/87)

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 87 09:54:38 EDT
From: emmett black <blackje@sungod>
Posted-Date: Wed, 5 Aug 87 09:54:38 EDT
To: info-ada@ada20.isi.edu
Subject: Re:  Ada tutorial textbook recommendations solicited

I tried to resply directly, but have been unable to reach Chris.
So here it goes to the net.