[comp.lang.ada] val-comp.hlp not big, just verbose

CONTR47@NOSC-TECR.ARPA (09/16/87)

val-comp.hlp consists of:
70,656 characters of which:
34,054 are blanks
10,162 are minus signs
 5,052 are vertical bars
   That computes to 70% of the file for formatting. (Actually
somewhat less because of need for embedded blanks. I suggest that
vertical bars and minus signs be eliminated thus also
eliminating many blanks and then consider not repeating
company name etc. and *then* maybe it will be
feasible to mail it to everyone. (No, I didn't just volunteer
to do the formatting).
regards, sam harbaugh
---------------------

dirk@kulcs.UUCP (Dirk Craeynest) (09/17/87)

In article <8709160124.AA05084@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CONTR47@NOSC-TECR.ARPA writes:
>val-comp.hlp consists of: ... [deleted]
>   That computes to 70% of the file for formatting.
[suggestion to remove formatting characters to reduce size]
> ... and *then* maybe it will be feasible to mail it to everyone.
>regards, sam harbaugh

An easier, and more efficient, way to cut down the size of such files,
is to use arc, compress, or something similar.

I tried arc on an older copy of the list of validated Ada compilers and
the list of planned implementations: the files were compressed to almost
one fifth of their original size!

Name         Length    Stowage    SF   Size now  Date       Time    CRC
===========  ========  ========  ====  ========  =========  ======  ====
COMP.ARC        43624  Crunched   78%      9729   9 Jun 87  12:03a  2be6
PLANS.ARC       47072  Crunched   79%     10238   9 Mar 87  12:37a  f303
Total     2     90696             78%     19967

Isn't it possible to post the list in that format?

| Katholieke Universiteit Leuven    | uucp: ...!mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!dirk |
| Department of Computer Science    |       or dirk@kulcs.UUCP         |
| Celestijnenlaan 200 A             | bitnet:  dirk@kulcs.bitnet       |
| B-3030 Leuven (Heverlee), Belgium | phone:   +(32) 16-200656 x3555   |