[comp.lang.ada] Getting the list of validated compilers

karl@grebyn.COM (Karl A. Nyberg) (09/15/87)

OK, sports fans.  Here's the deal:

1) If you have an arpa connection, you can FTP either from ada20.isi.edu
(the source: ps:<ada-info>val-comp.hlp), or from simtel20.arpa (the file:
pd:<ada.general>compilers.inf - I think that's it.)

2) If you have a modem and terminal, you can use the Ada Information
Clearinghouse Bulletin Board system (call 202-685-1477 - voice; for more
information).  Yes, that means you will probably have to spend $$$ for long
distance phone charges if you're not in the Metropolitan DC area.

3) There WAS an archive server on simtel20.arpa, but it got overloaded /
abused / something, so it has been shut down for a while.  A similar feature
is being contemplated for use on ajpo.sei.cmu.edu when the move from ada20
is performed.

4) Find somebody with capability to do either #1 or #2, and beg, borrow,
steal from, cajole, plead with, implore, request, or even (shudder!) pay
them to get it for you.  (Example: since I don't have a 9 track magnetic
tape drive on my MicroVAX, I end up taking one of my UUCP neighbors out to
lunch to use theirs when I need to read in magnetic tapes.)

5) Ask the folks at the Ada Information Clearinghouse to put you on their
paper mailing list.  I don't know their mailing schedule.

I WILL NOT - REPEAT, READ MY LIPS - WILL NOT, post the listing of validated
compilers to the mailing list without further encouragement from the AJPO to
do so.  There was a time in the past when I posted the list, and took all
kinds of flack for it (not from the AJPO directly, but directed through
them).  The new policy of updating the list monthly may make it feasible /
desirable to have the listing posted upon update, but I cannot make that
decision.  If the AJPO would like to do that, I will be glad to pass it
through (NOTE: the list is approximately 70KB, enough to make some mailers
choke.  Even when the extra spaces are compacted into tabs, it's still some
50KB.)

-- Karl --

fdm@sdcrdcf.UUCP (09/18/87)

In article <8709142314.AA01820@grebyn.com> karl@grebyn.COM (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:
>OK, sports fans.  Here's the deal:
>
>1) If you have an arpa connection, you can FTP either from ada20.isi.edu
>(the source: ps:<ada-info>val-comp.hlp), or from simtel20.arpa (the file:
>pd:<ada.general>compilers.inf - I think that's it.)

Well, I ftp'd to both of these machines, and the files did not seem to
exist on either one.  Has anyone else had better luck?

slutz@hplb29a.UUCP (09/18/87)

On simtel20.arpa   PD:<ADA.POINTERS>COMPILERS.INF
Don't specify the version number (not shown above) and get the latest
version.