[net.movies] small flame about trivia in reviews

lindley@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (John L. Templer) (07/18/85)

> EXPLORERS
> Starring Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix and Jason Presson.
> Also starring Amanda Peterson and Dick Miller.
> Directed by Joe Dante. Written by Eric Luke. Produced by Edward S.
> Feldman and David Bombyk.
> Photographed by John Hora. Production Designed by Robert F.
> Boyle. Edited by Tina Hirsch.  Music by Jerry Goldsmith. Visual
> Effects Supervision by Bruce Nicholson for Industrial Light and
> Magic. Special Makeup Effects Created by Rob Bottin.
> From Paramount Pictures (1985).

Please!  Why is all this stuff included in a movie review?  I don't
care who was the production designer, visual effects superviser, or who
wrote the score.  In those cases where such items make or break a film,
say so, but otherwise don't include each and every person associated
with the film.

Other than that, I thought this was a good review.
--

~~ John L. Templer,  University of Texas at Austin
~~ {allegra,gatech,seismo!ut-sally,vortex}!ut-ngp!lindley

"Oh, I liked it well enough-- only it was so dusty and hot, and the
elephants did tease so!"  (Can you recognise the character speaking?)

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (07/19/85)

In article <2045@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> lindley@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (John L. Templer) writes:
>> EXPLORERS
>>
>>   ... list of major credits from the film EXPLORERS
>>

>Please!  Why is all this stuff included in a movie review?  I don't
>care who was the production designer, visual effects superviser, or who
>wrote the score.  In those cases where such items make or break a film,
>say so, but otherwise don't include each and every person associated
>with the film.

While I disagree with the sentiment expressed above (I like to know these
sorts of things) it might be good to include the information at the *end*
of the review so as not to offend the sensibilities of our less trivially
inclined readers.

>Other than that, I thought this was a good review.
>--
>
>~~ John L. Templer,  University of Texas at Austin
>~~ {allegra,gatech,seismo!ut-sally,vortex}!ut-ngp!lindley
>
>"Oh, I liked it well enough-- only it was so dusty and hot, and the
>elephants did tease so!"  (Can you recognise the character speaking?)

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (07/24/85)

> > > Starring Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix and Jason Presson.
> > > Also starring Amanda Peterson and Dick Miller.

> > > [and on and on for a whole screenful in the original version]

> > Please!  Why is all this stuff included in a movie review?

> I don't go to the effort to put it in, but I consider it valuable.

You're both right.  Look, Steven, you can make everybody happy very easily
by keeping the credits in the review but PUTTING THEM AT THE END.  Start
off the review with the title and a 1-paragraph summary.  How about it?

Mark Brader
P.S. Moviemakers, too, I think, would do well to observe the same principle.

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (07/25/85)

>> EXPLORERS
>> Starring Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix and Jason Presson.
>> Also starring Amanda Peterson and Dick Miller.
>> Directed by Joe Dante. Written by Eric Luke. Produced by Edward S.
>> Feldman and David Bombyk.
>> Photographed by John Hora. Production Designed by Robert F.
>> Boyle. Edited by Tina Hirsch.  Music by Jerry Goldsmith. Visual
>> Effects Supervision by Bruce Nicholson for Industrial Light and
>> Magic. Special Makeup Effects Created by Rob Bottin.
>> From Paramount Pictures (1985).
>
>Please!  Why is all this stuff included in a movie review?

I don't go to the effort to put it in, but I consider it valuable.  I
don't recognize some the names, but they are all of some interest to
me.  I have respected Bottin's work in the past (THE HOWLING?).
Goldsmith has done some very good scores (QB VII).  Dante can be good
(HOWLING) or terrible (TWILIGHT ZONE).  And then there is Dick Miller,
he seems to be the biggest in-joke of Hollywood.  You could do a thesis
about him.  Yes, there is a lot of information in a small space in
those credits.  They are a valuable part of the review.  In fact, few
respected professional reviewers would publish a review without a more
extensive credit list.  Look in the NY Times, Variety,
Cinefantastique.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper