[net.movies] Explorers -- a pico review.

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (07/09/85)

Just saw EXPLORERS (7/8/85)...

From Joe Dante (Gremlins) comes a cute, fun, science fantasy
about a three kids who are given the key to interplanetary travel.
After some local mischief, the three (a street-kid, a sf-type, and
a student brainiac) head off to discover the answers to life, the universe,
and everything from an unseen all-knowing alien race.

What they expect is far from what they find.

I liked it, but I'm not sure it's worth the $5-$6 that most of
the bigger theaters normally ask.  I give it a 7 out of 10.  Good
family fare.   Looks like they are already thinking-up the script
to EXPLORERS II.

	"Tell them what they've won!
			-  It's a BRAND NEW CAR!!"   --  Wak

bright@dataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (07/13/85)

In article <494@oliveb.UUCP> gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary Traveis) writes:
>From Joe Dante (Gremlins) comes a cute, fun, science fantasy
>about a three kids who are given the key to interplanetary travel.
>After some local mischief, the three (a street-kid, a sf-type, and
>a student brainiac) head off to discover the answers to life, the universe,
>and everything from an unseen all-knowing alien race.

I thought the second half was totally stupid and dull.
By the way, where does a 9-volt battery get the energy required to dig
5' diameter holes in the ground? I wish some of these sci-fi movie
directors would take a basic course in physics, or hire a consultant
to help them avoid the more obvious screwups. And don't wave the
'but it's supposed to be fun' at me, I think these glaring problems
are due to laziness on the part of the director, and are not necessary
to the plot. A good sci-fi plot is one that takes ONE assumption (such
as aliens beaming technology into a kid's brain) and logically builds
on that assumption. Continually trotting out absurdities out of convenience
shows a lack of imagination on the part of the director, and is insulting
to watch.

Good sci-fi is not necessarilly preposterous, as an example take a look
at Arthur Clarke's novels (BTW, he holds a doctorate in physics), and
the novels that Niven and Pournelle collaborated on.

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/19/85)

> From:	dataio!bright

> Good sci-fi is not necessarilly preposterous, as an example take a look
> at Arthur Clarke's novels (BTW, he holds a doctorate in physics), and
> the novels that Niven and Pournelle collaborated on.

Not to put a damper on your remarks, but Clarke does *not* have a
PhD in in physics, only a BSc. Pournelle has a PhD, but it's in
philosophy and political science, with an undergraduate degree in
engineering. The only currently practicing writers I can think of
offhand that have PhD's in a scientific field are Greg Benford and
(I believe) Charles Sheffield. Possibly David Brin, too. Oh, and
Isaac Asimov, of course. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think
of them off-hand.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (07/19/85)

> In article <494@oliveb.UUCP> gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary Traveis) writes:
> >From Joe Dante (Gremlins) comes a cute, fun, science fantasy
> >about a three kids who are given the key to interplanetary travel.
> >After some local mischief, the three (a street-kid, a sf-type, and
> >a student brainiac) head off to discover the answers to life, the universe,
> >and everything from an unseen all-knowing alien race.
>
> I thought the second half was totally stupid and dull.
> By the way, where does a 9-volt battery get the energy required to dig
> 5' diameter holes in the ground? I wish some of these sci-fi movie
> directors would take a basic course in physics, or hire a consultant
> to help them avoid the more obvious screwups. And don't wave the
> 'but it's supposed to be fun' at me, I think these glaring problems
> Good sci-fi is not necessarilly preposterous, as an example take a look
> at Arthur Clarke's novels (BTW, he holds a doctorate in physics), and
> the novels that Niven and Pournelle collaborated on.

Your wonderful analysis of my statement overlooked one thing.

I called EXPLORERS a "science fantasy".

It's ok to pan a film, any film, but you don't have to be so
righteously indignant!   It tends to waste everyone's time.

Any other comments to net.flame.

ix241@sdcc6.UUCP (ix241) (07/25/85)

D. Brin, PhD Physics UCSD
J. Pournelle, PhD Psychology UofW(i think)

John Testa
UCSD Chemistry
sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix241

mink@cfa.UUCP (Doug Mink) (07/26/85)

> Good sci-fi is not necessarilly preposterous, as an example take a look
> at Arthur Clarke's novels (BTW, he holds a doctorate in physics), and
> the novels that Niven and Pournelle collaborated on.

I believe that Arthur C. Clarke has only a Bachelor's degree, although
he probably has quite a few *honorary* doctorates.  His scientific
and scientific writings show a good grasp of *engineering*, which is
what he got sidetracked into during the war.  I'm not disagreeing with
your point about believable science fiction, though.

			-Doug Mink