Date: Fri, 18 Mar 88 12:50:07 EST
From: fredyu@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Subject: Request info on AdaPHIGS

To those who have information:

First, to those who don't know PHIGS stands for Programmer's Hierarchical
Interactive Graphics System.  Like GKS and X Windows, PHIGS is a competing
standard for graphics interface.  I would like to know more about PHIGS,
but don't know where to look.  I'm interested in any information someone
could provide.  In particular, who is doing work in this area.

Fred Yu, IIT Research Institute (Ada Information Clearinghouse)
 (703) 685-1477    or    fredyu@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

Any and all information will be appreciated.  Thanks.

------------------------------

End of INFO-ADA Digest

INFO-ADA Digest             Sun, 20 Mar 88       Volume 88 : Issue  77

Today's Topics:
                        ada-mode for GNU emacs
                      NOSC Abstractions Tool Set

Date: 16 Mar 88 19:32:00 GMT
From: killer!convex!authorplaceholder@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: ada-mode for GNU emacs

I am also interested in an Ada mode for Gnumacs as well as
the TAGS capability.

I don't have anything currently.

Thanks,
Bill Torkelson
Convex Computer Corporation
ihnp4!convex!tork
(214)952-0328

------------------------------

Date: 16 Mar 88 17:57:36 GMT
From: ejs@unix.sri.com  (e john sebes)
Subject: NOSC Abstractions Tool Set

The tools were, I believe, developed under the supervision of Mike Gordon
and Bill Toscano at Intermetrics, Inc., of Cambridge MA. Mike is no longer
there, but Bill is-- I think he is now the director of marketing. If you
give I2 a call at (617)661-1840, I'm sure you will be directed to
someone who can help. As a former Intermetrician, I can tell you that
the people there are quite friendly and helpful.

John Sebes

------------------------------

End of INFO-ADA Digest

INFO-ADA Digest             Mon, 21 Mar 88       Volume 88 : Issue  78

Today's Topics:
                              TeX in ada

Date: 17 Mar 88 14:30:14 GMT
From: sunybcs!moogvax!terry@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Terry Westley)
Subject: TeX in ada

In article <1273@uop.edu> exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) writes:
>Is anybody out there interested in a port to Ada of TeX?

I tried to send mail, but it was returned.

I have some interest in an Ada version of TeX.  As far as I know, there
is none at this point.  I have considered doing a port myself to the
Mac when Meridian's Mac Ada is available.  What sort of "interest" did
you mean?

--
  Terry Westley
  Moog, Inc. (no, not the synthesizer company)

------------------------------

End of INFO-ADA Digest

INFO-ADA Digest             Wed, 23 Mar 88       Volume 88 : Issue  79

Today's Topics:
             Commercialization of Ada Technology - Part 3

Date: 18 Mar 88 04:03:25 GMT
From: uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes@gr.utah.edu  (Barnacle Wes)
Subject: Commercialization of Ada Technology - Part 3

In article <728@actnyc.UUCP>, djs@actnyc.UUCP (Dave Seward) writes:
> In article <330@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) writes:
> >One of the larger obstacles to the acceptance of Ada technology
> >(anywhere) is that it only solves a limited number of problems,
> >specifically military problems.
> >
> I have heard this before, and not understood it then either. What about Ada
> makes it inappropriate for, for example, compilers, assemblers, linkers, other
> text processing applications (such as those I use it for). What makes it
> inappropriate for a national banking network, such as was done in Finland in
> Ada.
  [much deleted]
>                                             As Ada is not well suited
> to use without the underlying model of Software Engineering, it will
> not play in Peoria until the underlying model is accepted. This, in my
> opinion, is what the big deal is.

There isn't really anything about Ada that makes it inappropriate for
writing compilers, assemblers, linkers, etc.; it has been used for
this.  The NYU Ada compiler, and Ada system compiled itself I believe.
The real kicker about Ada is that is was *not* designed to be a
general-purpose language!

There is a common misconception that the DoD looks on Ada as a
programming language for all purposes; they do not.  Ada was created
as a language that would be suitable for developing imbedded command,
control, and communications (C^3) systems.

C^3 systems share some features with banking systems (distributed
processing, and in some systems, the concept of an "atomic"
transaction, the transaction is not completed unless the ENTIRE
transaction can be completed.

C^3 systems also share many "text-processing" features with compilers,
linkers, etc.  Indeed, a targeting program for an ICBM is basically a
"target set compiler" is it not?

But Ada was still CREATED with the idea of using it to develope
imbedded C^3 systems.  This really shows in some areas, like the
limited I/O system - most imbedded systems talk to really STRANGE I/O
devices via specially-built interfaces, not to terminals and VMS disk
systems.

With a run-time library that interfaces to the host system well, Ada
can be used to do anything.  It's rather like a more powerful version
of pascal, or perhaps a verbose C with strong typing (strong typing is
for weak minds!).  I'm not convinced writing an accounting system in
Ada is a good idea, but I wouldn't necessarily want to do it in C
either :-).

	Wes Peters

--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

End of INFO-ADA Digest