[comp.lang.ada] Language sensitive editors and Ada

karl@grebyn.COM (Karl A. Nyberg) (05/07/88)

[Ed. - Forwarded]

Date:    Fri, 06 May 88 16:38 N
From: umd5!VMA.CC.CMU.EDU!RIESE%CLSEPF51.BITNET
Subject: Language sensitive editors and Ada

I am interested in exchanging information with people about experiences in
using language sensitive, or semi-sensitive, editors for programming in Ada.
This is not meant as the typical 'gimme' request one sees quite often on
this newsgroup - but as an *exchange*.

My manager decided to move to Ada in 1987.  We are developing using the
Verdix Ada Development System, Suns, a uVAX, the Tektronix MV System
Emulator, and the Tektronix 9200 Logic Analyser.  I've read and heard many
accounts that language sensitive editors are worth using for many reasons,
especially in terms of time saving.

We acquired the Xinotech Programming Environment, XPE, as an 'extra' when
purchasing the software and hardware for our project.  The XPE includes a
language sensitive editor called the Composer.  In theory, it's OK. It has
nice documentation which shows much functionality, but when it comes to
using it to write an Ada program....  it has a *lot* of serious problems.

We've heard great things about DEC's LSE.  A friend told me that, when using
LSE, he felt it was the first time he was creating a program in a truely
professional, intelligent manner. Unfortunately, LSE doesn't run on Suns.

One possible alternative for us is Emacs. It is much less sophisticated in
terms of sensitivity, but has a good reputation and a certain amount
of programmability. I would especially like to exchange information
with someone about the latter.

It would probably be best to discuss minor details of such editors
privately, since they are not of particular interest to this newsgroup.
(I'd like to exchange stories about the differences in the prices various
companies are asking for their software!)  Some more general topics that may
interest everyone are:

  1. How much sophistication does one really need to save time without
     paying a fortune.

  2. Is the integration of the editor into the programming environment a
     major time factor. For example, incremental compiling, OS interface, etc.
     I think one can get by without, my colleague disagrees.

  3. What other reasonable candidate editors are there? Any recommendations
     or warnings?

Bon weekend,

Marc Riese               riese@clsepf51.bitnet
EPFL-LIT