[comp.lang.ada] Mac ADA for MPW

DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) (05/13/88)

I recently asked about Ada for the Mac in comp.lang.ada, found a supplier,
and called for the price, and was shocked.  For the information of all of you
Ada lovers out there, here is what I found:
   Meridian Software Systems, Inc.
   Laguana Hills, CA
   (714) 380-9800
   $1195.00
I was told it would be shipping in about two weeks.
Oh yes, this compiler runs under MPW.
Unfortunately, I am looking for an Ada compiler to learn the language on,
not to become a Department of Defense contract programmer, so I can't afford
this kind of money.  If anybody knows of an Ada compiler for the Mac (MPW or
otherwise) for $300 or less, please let me know.

                                    Jay, etc...
Disclamer: I'm big enough to speak for myself, but not big enough to speak
           for anybody else.

coffee@aero.ARPA (Peter C. Coffee) (05/17/88)

In article <42384DN5@PSUVM> DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) writes:
>I recently asked about Ada for the Mac in comp.lang.ada, found a supplier,
>and called for the price, and was shocked....

>   Meridian Software Systems, Inc.
>   Laguana Hills, CA
>   (714) 380-9800

or 1-800-221-2522

>   $1195.00

>Unfortunately, I am looking for an Ada compiler to learn the language on,
>not to become a Department of Defense contract programmer...

The Meridian literature that I received also describes an AdaStarter version
"identical to the validated v2.1 AdaVantage compiler" but with limitations of
up to ten library units, each of up to 200 executable statements. Price
applicable toward purchase of the production compiler. $99.

Yes, $99. I don't know if this is shipping, but it's descibed in the same
literature as the big version.

Cheers -- Peter C.

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (05/17/88)

In article <42384DN5@PSUVM>, DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) writes:
> this kind of money.  If anybody knows of an Ada compiler for the Mac (MPW or
> otherwise) for $300 or less, please let me know.

Call Meridian again and ask them if they offer a starter compiler for the Mac.
I talked to them about a month ago and I'm pretty sure they said they
will.  If its lik their $99 starter on the IBM PC then it will be
just like its more expensive big brother but just limit the size of the
programs you can create with it (the limit is 10 compilation units with up
to 200 executable lines each or something like that).  Please post what
you find out on this if someone hasn't first.

--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/20/88)

In article <83@hrsw2.UUCP> bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) writes:
>In article <42384DN5@PSUVM>, DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) writes:
>> this kind of money.  If anybody knows of an Ada compiler for the Mac (MPW or
>> otherwise) for $300 or less, please let me know.

    The archives at simtel20.arpa have an ADA compiler for unix written in C,
all you have to do is port it to the mac. (Snicker, Snicker, Goodbar)
PIerce WEtter

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.