[net.movies] Back to the future. Solution. Minispoiler.

peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (07/18/85)

Postulate a pair of futures... 2 time tracks diverging from the instant
Marty arrives in 1955.  In world 1, the original world in the future,
George McFly is a nerd. In world 2, the world Marty ends up in, he's
a yuppie.

Marty 1 goes back in time & causes the split, producing George 2 and Marty 2.
Marty 2 then goes back in time. Because his father isn't a nerd he has
trouble recognising George  in the soda fountain. Maybe he doesn't recognise
him at all or maybe he's too cool (like his parents he's a lot less scatter-
brained then his world-1 counterpart) to go haring off after his parents
before talking to Doc Brown. Hell, maybe Doc-2 suggested that if he ever find
himself in weird circumstances he should try to find him (doc) before panicing
(I can see it now: "Of course! Doc KNEW I was going to end up back here...").

So for one reason or another Marty 2 never interferes with his parents. He
hangs around with the Doc for a week and goes back to the future. Guess
WHICH future? World 1, of course. Boy, is HE surprised.

And where did Johnny B. Goode come from? Simple: it came from nowhere. That
sort of thing is SOP in time travel stories. Remember the timebelt in
"The Man Who Fondled Himself"? Or the main character in "All You Zombies"?
--
-- Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
-- UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steve Holtsberg) (07/26/85)

In article <136@kitty.UUCP> peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
>Postulate a pair of futures... 2 time tracks diverging from the instant
>Marty arrives in 1955.  In world 1, the original world in the future,
>George McFly is a nerd. In world 2, the world Marty ends up in, he's
>a yuppie.

When Marty 2 goes back to 1955, he's going into world 2.  Shouldn't he
run into Marty 1, since he is going to the same day Marty 1 went to?

morris@Shasta.ARPA (07/29/85)

In article <2198@sdcrdcf.UUCP> steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steve Holtsberg) writes:
>In article <136@kitty.UUCP> peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
>>Postulate a pair of futures... 2 time tracks diverging from the instant
>>Marty arrives in 1955.  In world 1, the original world in the future,
>>George McFly is a nerd. In world 2, the world Marty ends up in, he's
>>a yuppie.
>>
>When Marty 2 goes back to 1955, he's going into world 2.  Shouldn't he
>run into Marty 1, since he is going to the same day Marty 1 went to?

No.  Why should Marty 2 be going back to the same time Marty 1 went
back to?  His friend knew about the problems Marty 1 had nearly caused,
and surely wouldn't want to risk a repetition (this probably isn't the
right word...).

	Kathy Morris
	(.. {ucbvax | decvax!decwrl} !Glacier!diablo!morris
	    morris@diablo.ARPA)

francis@osu-eddie.UUCP (RD Francis) (07/30/85)

> In article <136@kitty.UUCP> peter@kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
> >Postulate a pair of futures... 2 time tracks diverging from the instant
> >Marty arrives in 1955.
> When Marty 2 goes back to 1955, he's going into world 2.  Shouldn't he
> run into Marty 1, since he is going to the same day Marty 1 went to?

Actually, my theory about what happened to the other Marty involves this
very point.  One possibility is that the DeLorean in world 2 is just one
second ( or maybe two ) off in the first test.  This could have Marty 2
showing up in April/May of 1956 -- then he can split of his own alternate
future.  This solution, of course has problems of its own.
     My preferred solution is as follows -- in the test on world 1, Doc
decides to go into the future.  Perhaps, in world 2, he actually set the
time machine for the future before he went over to get the plutonium.
Another possibility is for Marty to to have remembered that he was in a time
machine, and to have reset the dateto some point in the future, or even to
have accidentally reset the year as he's trying to drive.
     A third solution, which has the advantage of simplicity, says that what
created two alternate timestreams was not Marty's rescue of his father, but
rather the arrival of the two Martys at the same instant.

RD "fozz" Francis   ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie!francis
                or    francis@osu-eddie.UUCP