[comp.lang.ada] Ada for the Mac?

DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) (05/06/88)

I am looking for an Ada compiler for the Macintosh, anything would be good, but
one designed to work with MPW would be best.  I asked this question a while
ago in a Mac newsgroup and got an answer, but the compiler wasn't shipping
then, and I have since lost the name of the company.  Can anybody help me?

(This is for learning use, because my wife and I would like to learn the
language.)

                                  Jay Newman

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (05/07/88)

I'm not sure of the name of the company but I have heard rumors of a MPW
Ada compiler for the Macintosh from the same company who makes an Ada
compiler for MS-Dos machines.  The company is located in the Orange County
area of Southern California, and I think it's name begins with an "M".
Perhaps some people out in netland could fill in the details of my bad
memory.

Anyways the interesting thing about this compiler is that I heard they were
doing it by generating MPW C code which you then feed to the MPW C compiler.
I'm not qualified to judge the ramifications of this, but I don't think I
like it!

I hope this helps!

David M. O'Rourke

| dorourke@polyslo | Disclaimer:  All opinions in this message are mine, but  |
|                  |              if you like them they can be yours too.     |
|                  |              Besides I'm just a student so what do I     |
|                  |              know!                                       |
|    When you have to place a disclaimer in your mail you know it's a sign    |
| that there are TOO many Lawyer's.                                           |

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (05/09/88)

Meridian Software Systems, Inc. offers Ada for the Mac, and it
runs as a MPW tool.  I'm not sure when it started shipping, but
I do remember it is not currently validated but is expected
to be by the end of the year.  Meridian can be reached at

23141 Verdugo Drive
Suite 105
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
(800) 221-2522
(714) 380-9800

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with Meridian and the above info is
from their promitional literature.

--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken

sdy@ssc-vax.UUCP (The Evil Gorn) (05/10/88)

In article <41784DN5@PSUVM>, DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) writes:
> I am looking for an Ada compiler for the Macintosh, anything would be good, but
>                                   Jay Newman

I believe that both Meridian and Alsys have Ada compilers for the mac -- I
don't know about MPW interface but I do know that these compilers are $$$ --
althought Meridian will sell a limited (demo) version for $99.  I think the
Alsys requires a Mac II but I don't have the promos right on hand.

steve.

--
Steven D. Yee                 >>> my employer does not share my opinions  <<<
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!sdy >>> (that's because I'm always right! ;-)   <<<

The infinity of space is only encompassed by the capacity of the human mind.

RCONN@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Rick Conn) (05/24/88)

The file PD2:<ADA.POINTERS>IBMPCADA.DOC contains information on
available Ada compilers for the IBM PC and Apple Macintosh.
The following is the title page from this file.

		Rick

---- title page follows ----
             Ada Compilers which Host on IBM PC and Macintosh

                            Personal Computers

                               As of 4/23/88

          The following information is provided for each  set  of
          Ada compilers:

               Recommended Configuration  for  Host  Computer.
               The  Host Computer is the computer on which the
               programs are to be compiled.

               Target Computers.  The Target Computers are the
               computers  on  which  the  programs  are to run
               after they have been successfully compiled.

               Cost.  Several options are available  for  each
               set of compilers.

               Address.  How to contact the manufacturer  (ad-
               dress and phone number).

-------