[comp.lang.ada] Real-time unix?

fred@cs.utexas.edu (Fred Hosch) (08/26/88)

I would appreciate any information on developing real-time
systems with Ada in a unix environment.  Thanks.

--
Fred Hosch
fred@cs.utexas.edu

rfg@nsc.nsc.com (Ron Guilmette) (08/27/88)

In article <3231@cs.utexas.edu> fred@cs.utexas.edu (Fred Hosch) writes:
>I would appreciate any information on developing real-time
>systems with Ada in a unix environment.  Thanks.

Note that, in gereral, UNIX(TM) is not Real-Time and vise-versa, although I
believe that AT&T has done some work on adding real-time features to some
(internal?) flavor of UNIX. (Was it called DMERT?  Somebody jog my memory!)

Anyway, one good reference you can start with is: "UNIX in Real Time" from
the magazine UNIX Review, Vol. 3, No. 11, November 1985, pp. 61-67 & 101-103.
It describes some commercial non-AT&T flavors of UNIX which have Real-Time
enhancements.  The one which sticks out in my mind is the Masscomp OS.
But then you don't want one of those!  After all, they (Masscomp) use that
other icky (but popular) 32-bit microprocessor :-)

--
Ron Guilmette
National SemiConductor