[comp.lang.ada] The DoD Ada validation suite

worley@compass.UUCP (Dale Worley) (08/31/88)

The idea of an Ada validation suite always struck me as a great idea.
However, several programmers here have been using several Ada
compilers, and we keep finding differences between validated
compilers.  When we look up the differences, we usually find that one
or the other compiler is deviating from the Reference Manual in some
minor way.

This leads me to believe that the validation suite is pretty weak.
(This may be a little harsh -- Ada is a huge and complicated language,
and an exhaustive validation suite would be very difficult to build.)

Does the DoD intend the validation suite to verify compiler
compliance?  If so, are they actively upgrading the suite as compiler
bugs are found?  Etc., etc.

Dale
compass!worley@think.com
Compass, Inc. -- the usual disclaimers apply

karl@grebyn.COM (Karl Nyberg) (08/31/88)

   This leads me to believe that the validation suite is pretty weak.

Compared to other languages, I think you'd be surprised at just how strong
the Ada Compiler Validation Capability is!  (I'll forward you some material
on other compiler validation suites in private mail.)

   Does the DoD intend the validation suite to verify compiler
   compliance?  If so, are they actively upgrading the suite as compiler
   bugs are found?  Etc., etc.

Yes, they are actively upgrading the ACVC suite.  The ACVC is currently at
version 1.10, and is updated, I believe, on an annual basis (it may be
changing to a bi-annual basis).  I seem to recall that the latest set of
tests to be added to the suite concerns checking of Chapter 13 features (see
below).  Apparently, there's also a document known as the DoD Ada
Implementation Guidelines (give or take), which describes the objectives
intended to be covered by the ACVC.  The August 29th issue of Government
Computer News has an article titled "DOD Issues Revised Ada Compiler
Validation Tests" (p.  53), which makes the following points regarding the
latest release of the ACVC:

	Contains more than 400 changes from the previous release
		most were "clarifications"
		16 corrected inconsistencies in prior tests
		27 were rewritten to prevent optimization of the function
			being tested

	The current suite contains about 75% of the test objectives
	mentioned above.

Furthermore, the latest issue of the Ada IC Newsletter, July 1988 states:

	Recognizing the importance of Chapter 13 of the ANSI/MIL-STD 1815A,
	the AJPO encourages the Ada community to review ACVC 1.10 as soon as
	possible, and to raise issues regarding this aspect of the Ada
	language.  Send comments to the AVO so we can use them to improve
	future releases.

	Ms. Audrey Hook
	Institute for Defense Analysis
	1801 Beauregard St.
	Alexandria, VA 22311

So, if you have comments about or suggestions for inclusions in the ACVC,
there's your ticket!

-- Karl --

jon@june.cs.washington.edu (Jon Jacky) (09/02/88)

> (Dale Worley writes) we keep finding differences between validated
> compilers.  ... we find that one or the other is deviating from the
> Reference Manual. ... This leads me to believe that the validation
> suite is pretty weak.

Limitations in the validation suite are candidly discussed in a very
informative paper by one of the people who built it:

John B. Goodenough. Ada compiler validation: an example of software testing
theory and practice.  In: A.N. Haberman and U. Montinari (Eds.), System
Development and Ada, Proceedings of the CRAI Workshop on Software Factories
and Ada, Capri Italy, May 26 - 30, 1986.  Lecture Notes in Computer Science
No. 275.  New York, Springer-Verlag 1986, pps. 195 - 232

Goodenough wrote:

"The test suite today (Version 1.8) represents 2400 programs. ... The test
suite is not yet complete.  We have identified approximately 1400 additional
tests that need to be written just to cover all aspects of the language
adequately."

- Jonathan Jacky, University of Washington