[comp.lang.ada] Ada Compilers for the Apple Macintosh OS

eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) (09/07/88)

I happen to enjoy using Apple Macintoshes as software engineering
workstations. I would also like to do everything I can to encourage
Ada compiler vendors to consider the Macintosh as a viable platform
for an Ada compiler. Currently, Meridian Software is the only Ada
compiler vendor which has an Ada compiler available under the original
Macintosh OS. Alsys and TeleSoft have Ada compilers which run on
Macintosh IIs under Apple's version of U*IX (A/UX).

Recently, I have been contacted by a number of different Ada compiler
vendors who were considering developing Ada compilers for the
Macintosh under the original OS. They wanted answers to the following
questions:

   1. Who is interested in Ada compilers which run on Macintoshes
      under the original Macintosh OS?

   2. What criteria are the most important in the possible selection
      of such compilers?

   3. If such compilers were available, how many would you, or your
      organization, be likely to purchase?

If you have answers to these questions, please send them to me and I
will post a summary on the net. (I already have a number of responses
from other newsgroups which I will also include in the summary.)

				-- Ed Berard
				   (301) 695-6960

peirce@claris.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (09/13/88)

In article <581@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@icc.UUCP (William A. Bralick Jr.) writes:
>In article <365@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> eberard@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) writes:
>>I happen to enjoy using Apple Macintoshes as software engineering
>>workstations. I would also like to do everything I can to encourage
>>Ada compiler vendors to consider the Macintosh as a viable platform
>>for an Ada compiler. Currently, Meridian Software is the only Ada ...
>>
>I thought that John Sculley didn't want to sell Mac's to the DoD.

Come on.  Just because Ada has some roots in the DoD doesn't mean that
that's all it's good for!  My experience with Ada was in a factory
automation environment that had nothing to do with DoD.  Ada was a
good language for doing seriously designed systems in.

I'd love to see Ada on the Macintosh since that's the machine I now
work on (before was using DEC's Vax/VMS Ada).  The Mac could use some
serious software engineering oriented compilers and tools!

-- michael