Date: Mon 19 Sep 88 12:29:35-PDT
From: RANDALL%ASD.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: Cross compiler information

   Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions about VAX to
80x86 (especially 386) Ada cross-compilers?  We are thinking about
buying such a product and would be interested in hearing from
other users.  Thanks.
                                       Charlie Randall
                                       Randall%ASD.SPAN

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 11:36:53 EDT
From: gbooch@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Subject: Grady Booch's Components Library Compilation Problems

Another thing you may need to do is combine the specs and bodies of all
the generic units. For copyright reasons, they are shipeed in

separate files (the specs are not copyrighted, the bodies are).

egb

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 88 19:30:40 GMT
From: mailrus!uflorida!novavax!augusta!bs@nrl-cmf.arpa  (Burch Seymour)
Subject: Rep Specs - Need user input

I would like to hear from Ada users (by e-mail preferred, I'll post
summary if enough response) about their use and expectation of rep-spec
implementations.

The basic problem from my point of view (working on the Ada runtime
library) is that it is a non-trivial problem to manipulate non-byte
multiple data items with an instruction set that deals with byte,
2 byte, 4 byte, and 8 byte items. A simple Ada instruction such as

    x := 5;

where x is a rep spec'd item of, say, 17 bits, causes a call to a
library routine which has to do a lot of masking and shifting to
generate the result.

The question then is, how important is eeking the last bit of speed
out of rep specs? Or are people just doing conversions to/from more
conventional data representations and doing the speed critical stuff
with those items?

Any thoughts on these questions, other Rep Spec issues, or performance
in general would be appreciated.

You can try the following mail paths, we've been disconnected from the
net for a while due to modem problems at our feed, but I think my
dot sig file is still mostly correct.

Thanks,
    #####              Gould Computer Systems Division
      ###                  in Sunny South Florida
#####   #####                   Burch Seymour
#####    ####     =>  ...!{uunet,sun,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!bseymour
#####   #####     =>  ...!{ihnp4!codas,allegra}!novavax!gould!bseymour
      ##          => NOTE: Disregard header info. Email to above paths only.
    ####          => The opinions expressed are probably not worth disclaiming

End of INFO-ADA Digest