[net.movies] Humanoids from the Deep

ocoin@pwa-b.UUCP (Terry O'Coin) (07/31/85)

An independent station in Boston recently broadcast a timeless film
which I must comment on.  Have you ever had one of those nights when
you end up having to choose between watching the bugs fry in your
neighbor's electric bug zapper and seeing what's on the UHF stations ?
I did.  I should have watched the mosquito executions.  WXNE channel
25 in Boston broadcast the movie "Humanoids from the Deep" starring
Vic Morrow and Doug Mclure.  Both of these actors have done some
fine work over the years, excluding this film.

The film centers around a coastal town in California which is very
dependent on the fishing industry.  A big company is preparing to
build a cannery in the town promising jobs and increased prosperity,
and bringing with it a new scientific process for increasing the fishes
growth rate.  Unfortunately, the chemical process goes wild and the
fish begin to evolve very rapidly.  Soon, these fish turned humanoids,
start to attack people and rape women.  This film centers around
some very familiar B movie themes, crusading hero saves town (Doug
Mclure), evil townsman sells town out (Vic Morrow), scientist trys
to reverse wrongs by helping (some female pseudo scientist).

In the end humanity triumphs and the town is saved.  This film
has no plot, no messages, no acting, and no reason for being
made.  If I were involved in making it, I would sue to have my
name removed from the credits.

--

                                        Terence P. O'Coin
					Pratt & Whitney Aircraft

  "If at first you don't succeed, give up; no use being a damn fool."

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (08/04/85)

In article <175@pwa-b.UUCP> ocoin@pwa-b.UUCP (Terry O'Coin) writes:

>An independent station in Boston recently broadcast a timeless film
>which I must comment on.  Have you ever had one of those nights when
>you end up having to choose between watching the bugs fry in your
>neighbor's electric bug zapper and seeing what's on the UHF stations ?
>I did.  I should have watched the mosquito executions.  WXNE channel
>25 in Boston broadcast the movie "Humanoids from the Deep" starring
>Vic Morrow and Doug Mclure.  Both of these actors have done some
>fine work over the years, excluding this film.

This film periodically makes the cable rounds in its (* ahem *) uncut
version.  If you saw it on an over-the-air station, chances are that
the parts which provide this films attraction were gone.  The word
"lurid" was built to describe this work.  It has everything your basic
junk movie fan wants to see:  nudity, perversion, blood by the bucketful,
bad science, good ecologists, etc. etc. etc.   What you really missed is
that one of these fish-critters actually manages to impregnate a human
female (shades of "V", but I didn't understand the biology of that either)
leading to an "Alien" like birth sequence at the very end of the film.
Not for the weak of stomach.  Definitely for the weak of mind.

Doug McClure's career has been over for a while.  He needs these sorts of
films to make a living.  The late Vic Morrow's career was still in full
swing.  It's too bad this is one of the things we have to remember him by.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (08/04/85)

>An independent station in Boston recently broadcast a timeless film
>which I must comment on.  Have you ever had one of those nights when
>you end up having to choose between watching the bugs fry in your
>neighbor's electric bug zapper and seeing what's on the UHF stations ?
>I did.  I should have watched the mosquito executions.  WXNE channel
>25 in Boston broadcast the movie "Humanoids from the Deep" starring
>Vic Morrow and Doug Mclure.  Both of these actors have done some
>fine work over the years, excluding this film.

     Well, I did something similar a few years ago. I wanted to stay up
and see a lunar eclipse that happened at 3:00, so I was watching a film
that starred Jon Voight called "Fearless Frank" on a local network affiliate.
Now that was bad!!!!!!!!

	"There is no conflict between capitalism and spiritualism."