[comp.lang.ada] Ada vs C++ / the choice

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (12/17/88)

From Ted Holden, HTE:

From: Ron Guilmette: National Semiconductor, Sunnyvale

>>C++ actually IS the language Ada was supposed to be and never will be, the
>>main language which DOD (and a lot of other organizations) need.

>I used to be a big Ada fan.  Now I'm a big C++ fan.  Nonetheless, I
>have to point out the error in the above statement.

>C++ *is not* the language Ada was supposed to be.  Specifically, Ada is
>*standardized* while C++ is not (yet).  That can be good and bad.
>Actually, this is probably the main reason that I now prefer C++ to Ada.
>Everything about Ada (in particular, the warts) was set in concrete long ago.
>In the case of C++, the language is still evolving and there is still time
>to prevent it from becomming another hoplessly ugly beast.

I meant simply that C++ appears capable of providing users the
object-oriented paradigm, generating fast and efficient code for every
kind of computer, imbedded system to mainframe, handling every kind of
application, tank gun to DBMS to video-game or whatever, and efficiently use
ordinary, cheap PCs and UNIX systems as development platforms.  This or
something entirely like this was the stated goal of Ada from the
beginning.

That Ada itself represents little more than a failed attempt in this
direction is becoming more and more evident.  Our industry turns
completely over every three or four years or so;  most of what you see around
you now will be gone in four years.  The fact that one or two almost
acceptable Ada compilers are just now becoming visible after ten years of
effort means, to me at least, that Ada has only missed it by seven years.

In a couple of years, virtually all normal computers will be running
UNIX.  Micro managers will be seeing 386-based desktop machines with
applications for which DOS no longer will suffice, and virtually all
mid-sized machines, database servers etc., which run UNIX.  The choice
for an OS for the desktop machines will be simple:  UNIX, and ordinary
UUCP connections between the desktops and the mid-sized machines, or OS/2
and forever endure the pain of dealing with the two dissimilar worlds.
This lack of portability/connectivity will kill OS/2.  And, the fact that
Ada cannot live happily with UNIX, should alone suffice to kill Ada.

The tale concerning Ada/UNIX comes back the same way and sounds the same
no matter which way you turn your ear.  There was the article in the Aug.
1 issue of Government Computer News, there are the comments from the Nov.
RICIS symposium ("Ada on UNIX doesn't work"), and, to me at least, aside
from and in addition to my own experiences with UNIX/Ada, it sounds
about the same no matter who I talk to.

The existence of specialized machines for Ada development (Rational), the
articles you read calling for new generations of imbedded chips designed
specifically for Ada, the nature of Ada systems which you see for the PC
(LIM board, 2 meg DRAM, $3500 price tag) all speak of the same basic
failure;  the "do everything" language simply seems all too limited in
what it can do and what it can do it on, and seems to take entirely too
much of a Herculean effort to do anything.

The state of other-than-UNIX Ada implementations may be judged from
recent articles in Defense Computing, Sept.-Oct. 88 and Journal of
Electronic Defense, which read like indictments.

Bjarne Stroustrup was quoted in an issue of Byte this summer to the effect
that Ada was the language of the future, that there was no other language
which the government was willing to throw billions of dollars at.  This
is a dimmer view than I feel the circumstances justify.  I believe Mr.
Stroustrup et. al. have something the government needs, and might possibly
be sold on.

Ted Holden
HTE

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (12/19/88)

Actually, algol-68 is the language that ADA was supposed to be....;-)