[comp.lang.ada] Ada Programmer certification ex

ryer@inmet.UUCP (02/23/89)

I agree with Mr. Luick.  When headhunters send me resumes of people who
are "Experienced Ada Programmers", my reaction is "so what?" (i.e. I don't
forward them to Personnel).  This is even though Intermetrics does entirely
software development, hires people regularly, and does a lot of work
in Ada.  How about a certificate for Able-to-learn-Ada-in-a-Month?  How
about a certificate for Good Software Engineer?

Mike Ryer
Employed by, but not speaking officially for, Intermetrics, Inc.

gvcormack@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Gordon V. Cormack) (02/25/89)

In article <124000033@inmet>, ryer@inmet.UUCP writes:

> I agree with Mr. Luick.  When headhunters send me resumes of people who
> are "Experienced Ada Programmers", my reaction is "so what?" (i.e. I don't
> forward them to Personnel).

This sounds like a stronger reaction than "so what?".  It sounds like you
discriminate against people who happen to know Ada.

The reason such a claim is irrelevant is that it is self-proclaimed.  I would
be very interested in knowing if an "ada programmer" really knew how to use
generics, abstract data types, exceptions, etc.  I might be tempted to hire
such a person, even for projects not necessarily involving Ada.
--
Gordon V. Cormack     CS Dept, University of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
                      gvcormack@waterloo.EDU   gvcormack@uwaterloo.CA