[comp.lang.ada] Ada Design Tools <was Good Design Strategies>

rsimonian@x102c.harris-atd.com (Simonian RP 66449) (03/06/89)

>Is "Classic Ada" (or InnovAda) an Ada superset?

I can't speak for Classic-Ada, but InnovAda generates and maintains legal
Ada source code.  The code is documented and readable.  The user is not
expected to deal with the generated code, but is not prohibited from doing so.

>If the graphics form of a program was used to describe the entire program, and
>the comments and documentation refer to the graphics form, and maintenance is
>done by modifying the graphics and automatically re-generating the Ada, then
>graphics would be the SOURCE code, and such a CASE tool *would* be a programming
>language different from Ada.  I have not heard of any such tools yet.

What you're talking about here is just different representations of a problem.
It will still be very obvious that Ada is the language being used by the CASE
tool.  I feel that Ada provides a very good mechanism for building specifica-
tion level tools, either graphical or textual.  I see a distinct advantage
to any tool that removes a burden from programmers/designers (i.e., by
generating implementation code) and allows one to work at a more abstract
and natural level.  True object-oriented programming tools are one solution.

Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: Re: Good Design Strategies <Was com
Richard P. Simonian     407/984-6006
Natural Language Processing Group