[comp.lang.ada] Low Profile

JEP1142@VENUS.TAMU.EDU (J E Pittman) (03/15/89)

> Date: 22 Feb 89 10:56:04 GMT
> From: sei!ajpo!eberard@pt.cs.cmu.edu  (Edward Berard)
> Subject: "Forced to Use Ada"
>      .
> Often, commercial users of Ada technology do not come to Ada meetings,
> or they may come only occasionally.  Several are forbidden by their
> management to inform the world of their Ada efforts because management
> does not want the competition to know what is happening.
>      .
>      .
>      .

One of the reasons I subscribed to this list was to listen for commercial
users of Ada so as to identify potential employers.  If what Ed says is
accurate, many of them are not subscribing to this list and/or are not
talking.

To those that are not talking (and those that are the I haven't contacted
yet), I am looking for commercial Ada development work in an uncrowded
part of the country (Alburqueque, Austin, Colorado Springs, Research
Triangle Park, and similar locations) for an employer that has what I
call a "get the job done" attitude.

I'm currently a college student, so I do not have difficulty talking at
work.  Please call.

John Pittman

enclosure

                              John Pittman
                              P O Box 6179
                      College Station, Texas 77844

                             (409)693-2538h
                                  845-8309w
                                      8415w

Objective

   A position as a software engineer in operating systems and programming
   environment development or real-time applications.

Representative Accomplishments

   Developed a TeX format for theses, dissertations, and records of
   study.  (Active project)

   Designed and implemented a help command.

   Developed a front-end compiler for a Pascal subset.

   Developed an assembler, linking loader, and simulator for a
   theoretical machine.

   Supported the installation of a new version of a compiler.

   Developed a utility program for printing file libraries.

   Developed a full screen text editor.

   Edited a system procedure library.

   Developed a special procedure for use of a FORTRAN compiler by
   introductory programming classes.

   Developed a program to analyze the randomness of pseudo-random number
   generators.

Skills

   Languages   370 Assembler, 6500 Assembler, 68000 Assembler, Ada,
               Basic, C, FORTH, FORTRAN 77, FORTRAN IV, LISP, Pascal,
               PL/1, PL/C, SNOBOL

   Software    OS/VS2 JCL, SAS, Waterloo Script, TeX, Wylbur

   Systems     IBM 3090-200e with MVS/XA/JES3
               DEC VAX with VMS
               Data General MV8000 with AOS

Experience

   Research Assistant, Computer Services Center, Texas A\&M University

      Develop, document, and support a TeX format for theses,
      disseratations, and records of study following the specifications
      of the graduate studies office.
      (Autonomous Project)

      Develop and implement a tree-structured help facility for Wylbur.

   Previous Assignment

      Provided end-user consulting services to faculty, students, staff,
      and industry clients.  Primary responsibilities ranged from
      sophisticated trouble shooting and problem solving to introducing
      novice users to the system.

      Additional responsibilities included liaison activities between the
      Computer Services Center and the Computer Science Department,
      software support and evaluation, technical editing and writing, and
      systems programming.

Education

   TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY
   Graduate Student in Computer Science

   B.S. in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering

   Honors/Awards  Lechner Fellowship
                  National Merit Scholarship
                  Dean's Honor Roll
                  Distinguished Student List

Comments

   Willing to travel and relocate.

   Highly adaptable independent worker.

   Willing to take initiative and assume responsibility.

   Excellent technical communication skills.

   Non-smoker.